West Ham Utd 0-1 Crystal Palace (19/04/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Sam Allardyce's post-match presser, in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=127485
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Ok, just from anecdotal conversations near me (West Stand Upper) pretty much everyone thought it was very poor, even at half time
You must sit near me then, because everyone round me thought it was toss.

Can't pass
Can't retain possession
Can't cross
Can't shoot

Our plan B was to try plan A again

They were a f**king disgrace yesterday on a day when they needed to do pull it out the bag.

As Romford has said, this club doesn't it's support.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I think the fans believe the second half is the full game. We played some great stuff first half, at times a little ponderous but we were getting into wide areas even if the box was never full enough, I think Vaz Te definitely adds something there. Second half was poor, and we first ran out of ideas then the subs made the side even lett fluid and we punted huge diagonal balls that were easy meat and drink to Palace who had 6/7 players dealing with it.

It looked to me like the final 10 minutes the players couldn't wait to get back in the dressing room as they didn't seem to believe in the tactics either. Cole was on for 20 minutes and I think he only touched the ball twice, so hardly an impact sub.
MK Hammer 3

Post by MK Hammer 3 »

RichieRiv wrote:Ok, just from anecdotal conversations near me (West Stand Upper) pretty much everyone thought it was very poor, even at half time

You must sit near me then, because everyone round me thought it was toss.

Can't pass
Can't retain possession
Can't cross
Can't shoot

Our plan B was to try plan A again

They were a f**king disgrace yesterday on a day when they needed to do pull it out the bag.

As Romford has said, this club doesn't it's support.
From what I can see we had over 80% pass completion compared to CP 65%. We also had 67% possession compared to CP 33%. That seems to imply that we played ok but were booed off because we lost, not how we played.

Compare this to the Hull game were we ground out a result against 10 men and were booed off, with people saying that I would rather see us play well and lose. Well it looks like we had that yesterday.

So tell me fellow supporters, what do you prefer now, play well and lose or play c**p and win? I know what I prefer and it isn't nil point.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

MK Hammer 3 wrote: So tell me fellow supporters, what do you prefer now, play well and lose or play c**p and win? I know what I prefer and it isn't nil point.
If the opposite of what ever happens as long as Allardyce has a job.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I always work it out on what keeper was busier...

And Speroni was far busier IMHO.

What really got me was the lack of invention when plan B was needed ...we were crying out for Joe Cole to ask a few questions of Jedinak on the floor sitting in the "Hole".

We defo weren't as bad as some are making out...although we did lack aggression and conviction which is disgraceful at this level.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Allardyce out
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I can't be arsed with stats. I know what I saw and it was a pile of ****. One of many **** performance.

Sooner this season is over the better.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

MK Hammer 3 wrote:From what I can see we had over 80% pass completion compared to CP 65%. We also had 67% possession compared to CP 33%. That seems to imply that we played ok but were booed off because we lost, not how we played.

Compare this to the Hull game were we ground out a result against 10 men and were booed off, with people saying that I would rather see us play well and lose. Well it looks like we had that yesterday.

So tell me fellow supporters, what do you prefer now, play well and lose or play c**p and win? I know what I prefer and it isn't nil point.
Were you there yesterday? We were allowed to pass it around our own third by Palace as they knew we couldn't do any damage from there, thus boosting both our passing & possession stats. We've done exactly that to teams this season so Allardyce was basically out Allardyce'd.

And compare the Hull win to the Liverpool loss. I didn't hear any booing after the Liverpool game as the fans recognised that the team had put a shift in.

Its not the win/loss per se. Its the manner of it that grates with a lot of us. Setting up not to lose and hoping to snatch a goal is not what I travel nigh on 400 miles a home game and pay my hard earned to watch. Surely, expecting to be somewhat entertained is not too much to ask (especially at these prices).
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

="giantsteps"]
NorthBankAlliance wrote:Was ****.
Stood listening to 'We're Crystal Palace, we're taking the piss'.
So much apathy in the stands nowadays.[/quote

Don't know about apathy but there was absolutely fu*k all around me in terms of atmosphere or songs/chants in the Alpari Lower

Very quiet indeed

Indicative of the football being played perhaps

team needs the crowd, crowd needs the team
chigwells finest

RichieRiv wrote:I can't be arsed with stats. I know what I saw and it was a pile of ****. One of many **** performance.

and this is also true
chigwells finest

i also never want to see another looped floated cross again in my life
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

One funny thing from yesterday,me and my son left about 5 minutes from the end,we went into the shop to get my grandson a shirt and shorts.
As we went towards the checkout I could see a TV with the match on,Noble was just about to take a penalty and he scored,as the team was in yellow I assumed it was a live feed like on the concourses,we celebrated a draw and then I realised it was pre recorded highlights DVD being played.
Oh well just for a second we thought we had a point.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

chigwells finest wrote:team needs the crowd, crowd needs the team
The crowd was there and willing yesterday due to the circumstances.
Usual performance on the pitch though and the apathy soon set in...
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MK Hammer 3 wrote:
From what I can see we had over 80% pass completion compared to CP 65%. We also had 67% possession compared to CP 33%. That seems to imply that we played ok but were booed off because we lost, not how we played.

We didn't play well what are you on about?

We played poorly and lost.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

the pink palermo wrote:One of the advantages of being old Mushy is we have seen an awful lot of West Ham , and a lot of awful West Ham .

Yesterday we were far far from awful.
You don't need to be old to have seen plenty of awful West Ham. We weren't bad. Haven't take advantage of good spells in games lately and have been punished.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Romford wrote:...we were crying out for Joe Cole to ask a few questions of Jedinak on the floor sitting in the "Hole".
Crying out for Joe Cole... :lol:

The man is nothing but deadwood to this team nowadays. Best days well far behind him. He certainly wasn't the man to change things around yesterday.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

RichieRiv wrote:I can't be arsed with stats. I know what I saw and it was a pile of ****. One of many **** performance.

Exactly. Most of those completed passes were Noble-Tomkins-Reid-Tomkins-Noble-Reid-Adrian-hoof. Six completed and then lost straight away after.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Crying out for Joe Cole... :lol:

The man is nothing but deadwood to this team nowadays. Best days well far behind him. He certainly wasn't the man to change things around yesterday.
Yet it felt like he was the only player I saw buzzing around in between the lines of midfield and defence. He made that chance slipping into space and dragged his shot wide, but it was a damn site more ingenuity than anyone else offered in that second half.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

After yesterday our attack became as good as our defence.

Both have thirteen clean sheets this season.