Manchester City 2-0 West Ham Utd (11/05/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Re: Manchester City v West Ham United: Match Thread.

Post by btajim - mcfc »

franksinatra wrote:Funnily enough my lowest point as a City fan was watching the side under Stuart Pearce in the premiership where we managed a measly ten goals. There seemed little hope, the football was horrific and yet within a couple of seasons we were chasing trophies and purchasing great players. I really hope you lads also get your day in the sun.
That was mine too. I didn't feel I'd been entertained all season regardless of Bernado Corradi's goal celebrations against Fulham and was ready to jack it all in. I heard a story about a group of 12 who sat together in the East Stand and not one of them was going to renew the next season. Fans just want to be proud of their club regardless of whether they win or lose.
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

That was mine too. I didn't feel I'd been entertained all season regardless of Bernado Corradi's goal celebrations against Fulham and was ready to jack it all in. I heard a story about a group of 12 who sat together in the East Stand and not one of them was going to renew the next season. Fans just want to be proud of their club regardless of whether they win or lose.[/quote]

Exactly. One of my favourite season with City was 1999 in the old third division. New grounds, huge followings and allocations and togetherness in the face of adversity.

That year under Pearce, in particular, was the closest I got to jacking it in. There was no pride when our best achievement was grabbing a 0-0 draw are holding a top side to a narrow defeat. We were anti-football and even the City dna of being unpredictable was being destroyed.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

franksinatra wrote:There was no pride when our best achievement was grabbing a 0-0 draw are holding a top side to a narrow defeat. We were anti-football and even the City dna of being unpredictable was being destroyed.
You've just perfectly summed up what West Ham have become...
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

franksinatra wrote:Firstly I would like to say a Thank you to the West Ham fan who sold me a ticket for face value in your end. I will always be grateful, as having celebrated in 2012 this time I passed my season ticket over to my father who is approaching 70 and has not seen us win a title since 1968 when he travelled up to Newcastle.

It is good that so many people have positive experiences of the game last week and our supporters. Like some have said the faces around me and who I meet at games have all been going for many years and although success naturally brings an influx of new fans (It would happen to every club) the fact we averaged around 42/43 thousand prior to the take over has meant the majority of the fans have retained their season tickets and still get to enjoy the long over due success of recent years.

Like many City fans I have always felt an affiliation with West Ham and a mutual bond of respect between the supporters so was delighted that we played against your side on the last day of the season.

From the board and members posts its hard not to notice the ill felling towards Allardyce and the sense of frustration. Funnily enough my lowest point as a City fan was watching the side under Stuart Pearce in the premiership where we managed a measly ten goals. There seemed little hope, the football was horrific and yet within a couple of seasons we were chasing trophies and purchasing great players. I really hope you lads also get your day in the sun.
were you stood in the middle of our end after the presentation wearing a city shirt?
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

were you stood in the middle of our end after the presentation wearing a city shirt?[/quote]

No that was not me. I managed to get into the City part of the ground. I did come over to the West Ham fans at the end, shared a bit of mutual clapping and shake hands with a couple of your fans. All great lads and were happy to congratulate me on the recent success.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

franksinatra wrote:were you stood in the middle of our end after the presentation wearing a city shirt?
No that was not me. I managed to get into the City part of the ground. I did come over to the West Ham fans at the end, shared a bit of mutual clapping and shake hands with a couple of your fans. All great lads and were happy to congratulate me on the recent success.[/quote]

a good few of yours came right up to us at the end, there were a couple who gave it the large, giving out ****er signs etc...but every club has its numpties

i stayed for the presentation etc until it had completely thinned out in our bit, some old boy stood there with a city kit on...shook his hand and congratulated him...he had nothing but praise for our lot as well
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

a good few of yours came right up to us at the end, there were a couple who gave it the large, giving out ****er signs etc...but every club has its numpties

i stayed for the presentation etc until it had completely thinned out in our bit, some old boy stood there with a city kit on...shook his hand and congratulated him...he had nothing but praise for our lot as well[/quote]

Yes exactly we have a fair few numpties like every club. No place for it, even more nonsensical in the context we have just won the league,

I consider myself from the 'lost generation' of City fans. Born in 76 (the last year we won the trophy prior to 2011) and watching our hated rivals lift trophy after trophy as I grew up. It was a tough time, with only stubbornness, a sense of loyalty and forged friendships keeping you going at times (Hence the affiliation with West Ham who I imagine are very similar). I can fully understand what it means to that bloke and I certainly would not begrudge other loyal fan bases, such as West Ham, long overdue success.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

franksinatra wrote:a good few of yours came right up to us at the end, there were a couple who gave it the large, giving out ****er signs etc...but every club has its numpties

i stayed for the presentation etc until it had completely thinned out in our bit, some old boy stood there with a city kit on...shook his hand and congratulated him...he had nothing but praise for our lot as well
Yes exactly we have a fair few numpties like every club. No place for it, even more nonsensical in the context we have just won the league,

I consider myself from the 'lost generation' of City fans. Born in 76 (the last year we won the trophy prior to 2011) and watching our hated rivals lift trophy after trophy as I grew up. It was a tough time, with only stubbornness, a sense of loyalty and forged friendships keeping you going at times (Hence the affiliation with West Ham who I imagine are very similar). I can fully understand what it means to that bloke and I certainly would not begrudge other loyal fan bases, such as West Ham, long overdue success.[/quote]

yeah, it seemed in bad taste, but the few that did it looked like complete muppets, no surprises

good year, born then myself...i lived in north manchester for 7 years, had the pleasure of drinking with many city boys, all between 35 and 50 years old, all been going for years, and quite simply, top draw people who understand their football and like a good day out. you really deserve your time in the sun, must be murder being in a 2 club city, and the other half are the best team in the land....glad you lot have your bragging rights now!
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Can't be bothered to scroll through 50 odd pages in case it has been posted already... but this is a great video showing mutual appreciation between two sets of supporters at the Etihad

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

sjb958 wrote:Can't be bothered to scroll through 50 odd pages in case it has been posted already... but this is a great video showing mutual appreciation between two sets of supporters at the Etihad

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Funnily enough I am on that. Lad in the black shirt walking over to shake hands with one of your fans. Mutual respect all round as at the end of their day we all share the same passion, just wear a different colour shirt
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

Yeah nice to see I suppose. f*** all like that would've happened if they had lost the game though!

Easy to stroll about shaking peoples hands just after you've won the bleeding league

Though aside to that, I do quite like man city fans. They've had to put up with some serious **** from their neighbours since like day dot
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Just back after two days staying In NW for work meetings.
I had no problem with City fans. Those I spoke to seemed to be genuine longstanding fans. Their support is very much like ours. Sadly our team's performance and lack of ambition was a complete embarresment.
Surprised how many City fans were on trains from London - it's a myth that they all live in Manchester.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

brownout wrote:Just back after two days staying In NW for work meetings.
I had no problem with City fans. Those I spoke to seemed to be genuine longstanding fans. Their support is very much like ours. Sadly our team's performance and lack of ambition was a complete embarresment.
Surprised how many City fans were on trains from London - it's a myth that they all live in Manchester.
It isn't a myth that the vast majority come from Manchester originally or don't have significant ties to the city. We had 46000 or so in that stadium plus thousands watching in pubs. How many travelled up from London? I'm a London branch member and we brought roughly 50 on our trip.

London offers untold opportunity so it's natural people travel to seize it. If you were familiar with the city your club are based in then you'd know how diverse the population is!
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm over the (blue !) moon for City. If it couldn't have been us I'm glad it happened to them. It really has broken up that crap media induced 'Big 4' rubbish that has been going on for the last 10 years.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

sjb958 wrote: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey Pinks if you're out there - more evidence our soul isn't quite dead.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

brownout wrote:Just back after two days staying In NW for work meetings.
there were a fuckload on my flight back to italy as well mate!!! i wager they werent making that commute 10 years ago!!
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

sjb958 wrote:Can't be bothered to scroll through 50 odd pages in case it has been posted already... but this is a great video showing mutual appreciation between two sets of supporters at the Etihad

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great video, traditional west ham at its best.
:crest:
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

there were a fuckload on my flight back to italy as well mate!!! i wager they werent making that commute 10 years ago!![/quote]

Average crowd ten years ago 46,834. Final league position 16th

Average crowd this season 47.080. Premier League Champions.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

one mcavennie wrote:Yeah nice to see I suppose. **** all like that would've happened if they had lost the game though!

Easy to stroll about shaking peoples hands just after you've won the bleeding league

Though aside to that, I do quite like man city fans. They've had to put up with some serious **** from their neighbours since like day dot
I've never known City fans to have a go at the opposition after we've lost. Wigan did the business in the FA Cup Final and were left to enjoy their big day. Hopefully they can enjoy their big day at Brentford and Bournemouth next season too.

We'd have been disappointed to have lost to West Ham on the last day but you'd not have been targeted. We're not bad losers and not supported by bullies either. Man Ure have got that one sewn up.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

man city tried to have a pop at us after the 2-1 at your place in the cup in 2006...a very poor effort it must be said