Manchester City 2-0 West Ham Utd (11/05/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Re: Manchester City v West Ham United: Match Thread.

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Romford wrote:Well you probably came from London...and i came up from Blackpool. Then drank in the same bar (soda water sadly) in the city centre as i did for the cup game. This time it was full to the brim ....at the semi there wasn't one City fan before or after.
I'd agree about the semi final of the league cup but we were still in Europe and the FA Cup with other matches taking priority after Christmas and New Year. We were out sang by West Ham throughout and my endearing memory of that match is the pure gallows humour from the away end. We've been there too.

£10 tickets or something would've seen it sold out but, then again, you'd have probably still made more noise if that was anything to go by.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The Boleyn Hound wrote:I totally didn't get that vibe from them either Romford. I met a load and they all seemed proper city.

I also think it was very loud from the start, but if it was quitER before their goals, it would have been nerves - everyone I spoke to was quite nervous before the match, mainly due to Andy Carrol.
I bet if i came from London i would have the same view (apart from the noise) as you.

I had 100% City arrogance from 10am till 2.45 pm. Not the Man City i ever witness when i came up from the smoke...BUT also not the Man City i've ever witnessed when coming from Blackpool before.

As for Carroll and all that caper...I never met one fan who didn't think they was not going to walk over us.

Sadly....both they and I was right. Our manager put up the white flag before they got on the M25
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

btajim - mcfc wrote:
I'd agree about the semi final of the league cup but we were still in Europe and the FA Cup with other matches taking priority after Christmas and New Year. We were out sang by West Ham throughout and my endearing memory of that match is the pure gallows humour from the away end. We've been there too.

£10 tickets or something would've seen it sold out but, then again, you'd have probably still made more noise if that was anything to go by.
Don't worry about me fella....I hope you enjoyed your moment

You are by far the best team out there mate...your movement is scary.

How many of your lot do you think remembered Bish at half time ?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

mushy wrote:So, you judge a team on their level of support?
btajim - mcfc wrote:

Fans are the life and soul of a club. City has full houses in the 3rd tier.
btajim - mcfc wrote:.

Maybe you should have stayed in the 3rd?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Romford wrote: Well you probably came from London...and i came up from Blackpool. Then drank in the same bar (soda water sadly) in the city centre as i did for the cup game. This time it was full to the brim ....at the semi there wasn't one City fan before or after.

If you want to make out i'm some kind of mug...I will be more than happy to meet you at the do tomo night and listen to your in depth view of things.
I went to the Waldorf from London on both occasions and it was full of decent City fans on both occasions.

Sounds like we just had a different experience - fair nuff. Never made out anything else...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Doc H Ball wrote:
I went to the Waldorf from London on both occasions and it was full of decent City fans on both occasions.

Sounds like we just had a different experience - fair nuff. Never made out anything else...
Sorry boss...I can only say what i saw and you get a totally different view when they don't realise they have us amongst them.

:wink:

Chat tomo
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

mushy wrote:Maybe you should have stayed in the 3rd?
I've fond memories of Blackpool and York but, to be honest, I'm preferring the Premier League right now. Watching us win the title or lift a cup at Wembley is phenomenal. Part of the City thing is being overshadowed by that shower of ***** from Trafford throughout my life and their demise, mixed in with our success, is wonderful to me. I'm loving every minute.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

mushy wrote:Maybe you should have stayed in the 3rd?
btajim - mcfc wrote:
I've fond memories of Blackpool and York but, to be honest, I'm preferring the Premier League right now. Watching us win the title or lift a cup at Wembley is phenomenal. Part of the City thing is being overshadowed by that shower of ***** from Trafford throughout my life and their demise, mixed in with our success, is wonderful to me. I'm loving every minute.
No-one can begrudge you that, Jim.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:
Sad to read that from you. Don't let it fade?
It's been a long old season without too much cheer , yesterday affected me in a way no other defeat has for a long time .

For the first time ever I wanted to have what City had . A trophy , something to show for the endless hours on motorways eating crap food in service stations , getting treated like **** by plod , taken for mugs by our own club .....

I freely admit that while pleased for fans of city I left the Etihad totally devastated for ours .The dream died a little bit for me yesterday .

Don't worry , I'll be back next seasons with recharged batteries .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote: It's been a long old season without too much cheer , yesterday affected me in a way no other defeat has for a long time .

For the first time ever I wanted to have what City had . A trophy , something to show for the endless hours on motorways eating crap food in service stations , getting treated like **** by plod , taken for mugs by our own club .....

I freely admit that while pleased for fans of city I left the Etihad totally devastated for ours .The dream died a little bit for me yesterday .

I've never needed a break from football like i do this season mate...
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

the pink palermo wrote: It's been a long old season without too much cheer , yesterday affected me in a way no other defeat has for a long time .
Chill out for the close season Pink watch the World Cup with no expectation next season will be a good un.......although I always think that!!!
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Glad the seasons over and hope we can make some decent signings in the summer,can't say i've enjoyed too much this season, other than the wins over spurs, the away game at villa and possibly the chelsea away, sums it up really when a 0-0 draw is an highlight. We was in the waldorf sunday and must say the city lads wewere talking to were decent fellas.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

i drank with the city lot before the game and after, all proper working class lads who have been going for donkeys years

i thought the place was rocking, even more so when the second went in....our support was laughable...i tried to get a few chants going, but nothing....

truth is, every city fan i met was bricking it before the game, they had seen their team blow it so many times before, so when the second went in, they could see the light at the end of the tunnel

i went out to their fans end of season party, back to the rafters, with many in the 40-60 age bracket who have seen their club play in 3 different divisions...since school theyve been 2nd best in the city and they are loving it now

have they got some hangers on...yes...of course, its going to happen, but their core support is the same. weve got enough ourselves...i bet plenty of our cutrrent support wouldnt know peter butler if he came up and kicked them in the b*llocks

i think what theyve done with the stadium, the surrounding area, the money theve ploughed into their youth is all good...theyre doing things the right way
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

:lol:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote:It's a shame half the ground ran on the pitch otherwise your players could've come over to clap you for being there all season.
I'm looking forward to them all appearing on crimewatch, several guys caught on film with flares, after all the Met established this as a capital offence a few years ago ;)

Seriously, I'm pleased for you Jim and it was good to see your fans enjoying the day.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

frankiemac wrote:i drank with the city lot before the game and after, all proper working class lads who have been going for donkeys years

i thought the place was rocking, even more so when the second went in....our support was laughable...i tried to get a few chants going, but nothing....

truth is, every city fan i met was bricking it before the game, they had seen their team blow it so many times before, so when the second went in, they could see the light at the end of the tunnel

i went out to their fans end of season party, back to the rafters, with many in the 40-60 age bracket who have seen their club play in 3 different divisions...since school theyve been 2nd best in the city and they are loving it now

have they got some hangers on...yes...of course, its going to happen, but their core support is the same. weve got enough ourselves...i bet plenty of our cutrrent support wouldnt know peter butler if he came up and kicked them in the b*llocks

i think what theyve done with the stadium, the surrounding area, the money theve ploughed into their youth is all good...theyre doing things the right way

Good post mate, no doubt they are starting to attract some hangers on but the vast majority have stuck with their club through thick and thin so good luck to them.
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

Firstly I would like to say a Thank you to the West Ham fan who sold me a ticket for face value in your end. I will always be grateful, as having celebrated in 2012 this time I passed my season ticket over to my father who is approaching 70 and has not seen us win a title since 1968 when he travelled up to Newcastle.

It is good that so many people have positive experiences of the game last week and our supporters. Like some have said the faces around me and who I meet at games have all been going for many years and although success naturally brings an influx of new fans (It would happen to every club) the fact we averaged around 42/43 thousand prior to the take over has meant the majority of the fans have retained their season tickets and still get to enjoy the long over due success of recent years.

Like many City fans I have always felt an affiliation with West Ham and a mutual bond of respect between the supporters so was delighted that we played against your side on the last day of the season.

From the board and members posts its hard not to notice the ill felling towards Allardyce and the sense of frustration. Funnily enough my lowest point as a City fan was watching the side under Stuart Pearce in the premiership where we managed a measly ten goals. There seemed little hope, the football was horrific and yet within a couple of seasons we were chasing trophies and purchasing great players. I really hope you lads also get your day in the sun.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

franksinatra wrote:Firstly I would like to say a Thank you to the West Ham fan who sold me a ticket for face value in your end. I will always be grateful, as having celebrated in 2012 this time I passed my season ticket over to my father who is approaching 70 and has not seen us win a title since 1968 when he travelled up to Newcastle.

It is good that so many people have positive experiences of the game last week and our supporters. Like some have said the faces around me and who I meet at games have all been going for many years and although success naturally brings an influx of new fans (It would happen to every club) the fact we averaged around 42/43 thousand prior to the take over has meant the majority of the fans have retained their season tickets and still get to enjoy the long over due success of recent years.

Like many City fans I have always felt an affiliation with West Ham and a mutual bond of respect between the supporters so was delighted that we played against your side on the last day of the season.

From the board and members posts its hard not to notice the ill felling towards Allardyce and the sense of frustration. Funnily enough my lowest point as a City fan was watching the side under Stuart Pearce in the premiership where we managed a measly ten goals. There seemed little hope, the football was horrific and yet within a couple of seasons we were chasing trophies and purchasing great players. I really hope you lads also get your day in the sun.
I had two of our own sell me two face value tickets for the play off final at Cardiff we ain't a bad lot!!.....congratulations on winning the title mate, I don't know about day in the sun, some light at the end of the tunnel would be welcome :(
franksinatra

Post by franksinatra »

I had two of our own sell me two face value tickets for the play off final at Cardiff we ain't a bad lot!!.....congratulations on winning the title mate, I don't know about day in the sun, some light at the end of the tunnel would be welcome :([/quote]

Funnily enough the change in our fortunes coincided with the game against West Ham on the opening day of the season 2008? I remember travelling back raving about Geovanni and Bojinov. That was our light before the sun.