PSF:Stevenage FC 2-2 West Ham Utd (12/07/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloffy

Re: Pre-season:Stevenage FC vs West Ham United FC: Match Thread

Post by Sloffy »

totally agree Sutts. First friendly of the summer so no need to panic, but based on one game -

Positives - Poyet & Kouyate looked good so something to look forward to there. No injuries, and some great crossing by Jarvis and in particular Downing. A good run out for Chambers, Whitehead & Lee.

Negatives - Adrians performance and subsequent crumble, McCallum miles off the pace, Cresswell out of position a lot.

Top marks to James Collins who spent 5 mins before the 2nd half down the front of the away end signing autographs, having pics taken and high-fiving all the kids :thup:
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Biggest positive for me is two wingers scoring at the back post. Something we lacked last season was that extra body in the box.

With Carroll and Nolan as targets and extra man at the back post could make all the difference, especially if it's an inside forward like Zarate.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Highlights:

Adrian's good bit...

and the 70s/80s disco DJ complete with dodgy mike...

and the 'Boro fans singing "is there a fire drill?" at 2-0 :)
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

great action shot Sauce
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

JonG86 wrote:Biggest positive for me is two wingers scoring at the back post. Something we lacked last season was that extra body in the box.

With Carroll and Nolan as targets and extra man at the back post could make all the difference, especially if it's an inside forward like Zarate.
Note comments from Neil McD

"The goals were great. First of all the cross and then being in the right position. We want them to come in off their line and be inside the far post and both of them were inside their far post. When you are on the move and a quality ball comes into the box, you give yourself a chance and it was great for those two to score early on in pre-season."

Change of instructions?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

hammer1975 wrote:Change of instructions?
Looks like it. Good stuff. :thup:
carugohammers

Post by carugohammers »

Can not claim to see a big play in this match of pre-season, it was also the first. They've have been good recover the two goals against a team that is most forward with the preparation
claret and bobby

Post by claret and bobby »

Adrian had an absolute shocker. Reid had words near the end of the half when he fumbled another cross, hopefully that's out of his system now! Kouyate looks like a very composed player, should be good business that. First time I'd seen Chambers play and he has big potential imo, strong on the ball and passes it well. Creswell looked like more of a left midfielder than a left back. Good day out and nice to nick those goals at the end. Jarvis did really well 2nd half, properly bullied their right back.
MCHammerJr

Post by MCHammerJr »

All in all a good day out, my little sisters first game, she loved it and has asked me to bring her again for some home games this season, so she's now a full fledged hammer.

Positive's - Chambers, quality performance from him, I've seen enough of him to prove to me he can handle the prem, I'd like to see more of him, certainly in the cup's where he did a sterling job last season. Best player for us in the Cardiff cup game that we nicked. Next academy product to break through?

Poyet - consistently looking for the ball and searching for a positive pass. Good to see the hunger from him, making the step up hasn't phased him at all by the looks of it, but time will tell there.

Morrison - Don't know about anyone else, but I was just glad to see him back as i was worried BFS would see him leave. Had a good game, always moving the play on and up the pitch, another good season for him in store imo

Jarvis - Man of the Match for me, he did almost everything right when he came on. Sister is now in love with him lol

Overall - Pleased to get through a good battling game without any injuries. Felt better than a draw because of the way we nicked it, but i thought we looked toothless up front. Wanted Lee to shine, I think his form in the Dev squad would be more apparent in the first team, but he's not demonstrated that yet.