PSF:Stevenage FC 2-2 West Ham Utd (12/07/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: Pre-season:Stevenage FC vs West Ham United FC: Match Thread

Post by m-h »

Just to add, good luck to Stevenage for the upcoming season, perhaps they can push for a play off spot. Good, well run football club who found the Div 1 money difference to much to overcome last season and were relegated.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

back now myself- i cant take any of these seriosuly. Its really about the kids and families having a day out. I didnt watch anything after about 20 mins...had a some food and a good catchup downstairs...

Still look and feel like a build-build-build side :crest:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Great day out & that at exactly how these preseason games should be treated as. Far too many there today treated it like a proper game, having a go at any misplaced pass & then up & leaving when Stevenage's second went in.

Overall for me;
Adrian crumbled after the first mistake for the goal. Cresswell's chest/pass back wasn't the best but Adrian claimed the ball and somehow lost it. Stevenage player took full advantage & stuck it in the net.

Cresswell I thought was poor, was too attacking minded and was high up in the Stevenage half a lot - we lost possession & they played the diagonal ball right into the corner where Cresswell (or whoever was covering) should have been. Reid had to come across a lot to pick up a lot of these balls/runners

Kouyate was very, very good. Seemed composed with the ball, little lay off & runs, a few great passes into the space behind the Stevenage RB for Javis to latch on to.

Poyet played well - constantly wanted the ball and to run with it & covered a lot of ground to win the ball back.

Josh Cullen & Dan Whitehead (think that's his name) looked stable in the middle of the pitch. Cullen especially, involved with the lay off to Demel for Jarvis' goal & played a good ball through to Jaanai Gordon (who I didn't even recognised!)

I did capture both our goals on camera - will upload them tonight when I FINALLY get home.

It's been a long day & I won't be home til 10 but it's been a bloody good one. Well up for Germany now.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I don't need to remind anyone here, but friendlies mean nothing. Especially the first one. I was at Flensburg last year for the game against Hamburg and Razvan Rat looked brilliant. Says it all really...
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

BTW if anyone would have been bothered about the result (not me) it should really have been 3-2 to Stevenage. They had the ball in the back of the net with an offside given. The ball was on it's way in to the net anyway when one of their players decided to get a touch and poach the goal - but the tit was offside when the initial shot was made :oops:
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I don't think Adrian has become a bad goalkeeper over the summer, like a good portion of the squad he just looked a bit rusty and out of form. Plus if he is going to make mistakes I'd far rather he made them in pre-season. Henderson was noticeable by his absence. I assume either another move to Ipswich is on the cards or he is playing Fifa with Maiga.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

f*** the result was a great day out and another ground to tick off the list :thup:

Leo chambers looked very good in the first half i thought
West Ham Dave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by West Ham Dave »

Kialos wrote:, especially those who could be bothered to get off their arses and go.
Strange comment?
Seeing as we sold are allocation out, and I'm told we had a respectable number in with them.
Please accept my apologies, but to be honest never considered it worthwhile to book an early flight home from Turkey, but I'll be at Ipswich.
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

Dave what a life turkey if only ha ha :D
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

Ludeksgloves wrote:I don't need to remind anyone here, but friendlies mean nothing. Especially the first one. I was at Flensburg last year for the game against Hamburg and Razvan Rat looked brilliant. Says it all really...
I agree mate. And look at the season we had after a great pre season last year counts for nothing hope every body had a good day out roll on Ipswich think we might see some of the front men back for that one
osborner69

Post by osborner69 »

rigoberts song wrote:Guess which oxford based hammer left ten mins from the end when we were 1-0 down and playing rubbish( missing three goals in the process)?
snap
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

West Ham Dave wrote: especially those who could be bothered to get off their arses and go.
Strange comment?
Seeing as we sold are allocation out, and I'm told we had a respectable number in with them.
Please accept my apologies, but to be honest never considered it worthwhile to book an early flight home from Turkey, but I'll be at Ipswich.[/quote]

I wasn't making any reference to the match attendance so no idea what that post is about :lol:
West Ham Dave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by West Ham Dave »

Kialos wrote:People who were at the game are entitled to give their honest opinion about a player's performance during that game. Well all know it's a pre season friendly, especially those who could be bothered to get off their arses and go.
First read YOUR full post as above, not the crafty edit in your reply implying that it was my comment, and what YOU said is a direct "pop" at anyone who never went today, there are many reasons people go or not but whatever it is its their business, not yours.
In my humble opinion of course.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Puff Daddy wrote: How poor ? I know this is only one match, but I didn't join in with all the euphoria that met with his signing ? For the moment, I am prepared to put this down to rustiness after the summer recess. He may may come good, but equally, he may not, but I am not holding my breath at the signing of a English full back, signed from a mid table Championship club.
tbf its our first pre-season game and his debut, lets not get too excited

however, I felt he was out of position constantly - Reid played as a LB most of the half - and his passes were poor.

some young kids were sitting near me, and they don't complicate things, they say what they see. One said to his dad that number 3 was rubbish - it was difficult to argue on the day

The other 2 newbies were impressive imo
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

WHU sign loads of new players and can't even beat a Stevenage team. yeah yeah yeah - it's pre season. Just a bit of fun, third string players etc etc - any chance of BFS picking up his best team for a game. Yeah it's negative, but there is nothing I see in the new team which is different from the old team. Sorry, I know we are not allowed to criticise WHU because of negativity but really - Manure, Le Arse even the Spuds would have destroyed teams like this.

Please feel free to take positives out of a 2-2 ( come from behind) draw with Stevenage. That's what Spurs supporters would do.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Here's a few clips from today's game, the last two being the Jarvis & Downing goals.
Probably best to watch in 720p or higher & full screen as it was filmed with a GoPro.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Quality, cheers Kitt :thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

WHU Independent wrote:Please feel free to take positives out of a 2-2 ( come from behind) draw with Stevenage. That's what Spurs supporters would do.
It was a 45 minute run out for the squad and we didn't pick up any injuries (thankfully). Nothing more, nothing less. This was just a training exercise for our lads but no doubt meant a hell of a lot more to the Stevenage lads, hence them getting stuck in to us.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

It really is groundhog day on here at times. These games are all about fitness and getting these kind of issues out in the open before it counts. Cresswell being caught out too far forward is a good thing. Management will now work on it. Our players aren't used to having a proper attacking fullback and this is the first time he has played with his teammates.

If we get Valencia wrapped up on Monday then we'll have all out major signings available for most of pre season.

Nice to see Jarvis and Downing link up and the ball actually end up in the net!