PSF: Ipswich Town 0-0 West Ham Utd (17/07/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: Ipswich Town vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Arnold Layne »

[quote="kayahammer"][quote="k-r-c"]The text commentary on the o/s is very american.

"Vaz Te's flag kick fizzes through the area"
"Halfway through the second period now "

I shall now be saying Flag Kick in my soccer conversations,thanks.
Emera1d
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Emera1d »

osborner69 wrote:Just got home, lots of Hammers there tonight, some taking a pre-season friendly v Ipswich far too seriously, some of the comments were laughable.

About the only bright spark of the game was Kouyate/Downing & Jarvis first half. The second half was a pile of turd and left on 75. Weirdly though saw Carlton in the Staples car park behind the ground looked like he had been to the shop. Thought this was really random with the game going ahead.
he was being picked up for a taxi, most of the 1st half players left at half time and went home early the scallys!!
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Just being a nosey B'stad and unable to get to the game, can one of the loyal 2000 who did make it give me some information on the game.

What formation did we use?

Was it a passing game we played or did we resort to the long ball often.

Has Sam adopted a more attacking stance or was it same again Sam.

Not trying to dig Sam out at all just interested seeing as we are now supposedly into a more attacking period, was there signs last night that this is so

I know it was only a friendly and shouldn't de judged on that but was there an improvement from last seasons performances. and come on lads what inside gossip did you hear last night Thanks Exciled
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

^^^
clawhammer wrote:First half we played bright attacking football. Kouyate looks as if he will be a big crowd favourite. Fast,hardworking and does not give the ball away. Jarvis and Downing looking good.
Second half like watching last year. Deadly dull. What was the point of putting Zarate up front on his own...he is tiny !
Last thought. Maybe we are going to sell Carroll and Valencia is actually his replacement.hmmm
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

We played some decent stuff in the first half. Quite positive and on the deck for the most part.

Noble and Collins look like they enjoyed their summers a bit too much…

Kouyate looked mustard. Exactly what we’ve been crying out for. Sat excellently in front of the back four and broke up play regularly. Tough tacking but well able to pick a pass and looked positive going forward. Tough enough b*stard as well. Exactly what we needed in the centre of the park.

Cresswell looked decent as well, very positive going up the left which is something we’ve been lacking for quite some time. Very encouraging and a lovely chip that hit the bar in the first half.

Second half was awful.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Agreed.

Thought Jarvis looked very lively and Creswell played some decent balls through to him - but not so sure Cresswell is as good going backwards as he looked going forwards. Also, why are left backs always so ridiculously one footed ?

We never really threatened their goal, save the Vaz Te chance in the second half and Zarate was isolated for most of the brief period he was on the pitch.

Thought Kouyate looked the real deal (loves atackle) and was impressed with Leo Chambers as well.

Same as Stevenage though, much more about the fitness than the performance
Logarithm
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Logarithm »

Having a really dull half isn't a bad thing. Allardyce will be using the pre-season to try out new things with new players. Better he sees it doesn't work now than mid-way through the season.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Fionn wrote: Noble and Collins look like they enjoyed their summers a bit too much…
The ground he covered last year he deserved a summer!!!

I have no concerns about him doing the same this season.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Will we win, lose or draw most of our pre-season games?

W 0 W 2 L 0 so far.

God i'm bored.
kippaxcockney

Post by kippaxcockney »

Dubai Iron wrote:Zarate: 'Happy to have played my first match with the team. Positive match for me, I'm glad my pubis is well'

:eh:
Must be a relief.........
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

We all need a well pubis mate!
Hoggy31

Post by Hoggy31 »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Will we win, lose or draw most of our pre-season games?

W 0 W 2 L 0 so far.

God i'm bored.
Your tally is also wrong!
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Fionn wrote:We played some decent stuff in the first half. Quite positive and on the deck for the most part.

Noble and Collins look like they enjoyed their summers a bit too much…

Kouyate looked mustard. Exactly what we’ve been crying out for. Sat excellently in front of the back four and broke up play regularly. Tough tacking but well able to pick a pass and looked positive going forward. Tough enough b*stard as well. Exactly what we needed in the centre of the park.

Cresswell looked decent as well, very positive going up the left which is something we’ve been lacking for quite some time. Very encouraging and a lovely chip that hit the bar in the first half.

Second half was awful.
Agree with all of that, Kouyate had everything we didn't have last season IMO. I thought him and Noble played well together.

My thoughts on Nolan and Collins chime with yours.
devonshire flu
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

Fionn wrote:

Am I missing something?

Kouyaté is a right-sided centre back, both for Senegal and Anderlecht. Was he being played out of position just for a pre-season tryout, or does Sam plan to convert him to a midfielder?
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

He was in midfield and looked comfortable in that role.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Played in midfield for most of last season, we've bought him as a midfielder that can cover centre back, a la Diarra.