COC2: West Ham Utd 1-1 Sheff Utd (4-5 pens) (26/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: West Ham Utd v Sheff Utd (C1C 2nd Rd): match thread

Post by Graza »

Pop Robson wrote:First LC game in the OS will pull more at £10, especially if in August.
First reduced cost game, league cup, family cup, KFAQ will probably be packed as it's the first chance a lot of people will have to see us play at the OS. First one of these the following season is the acid test
Gweddy

Post by Gweddy »

[quote="WHUJohn"][quote="64misser"]

He looked lovely though if not a little naive a couple of times but that's a given for a 17 year old centre half.

I thought he looked lovely as well, and Diego - he looked nice too.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I can't believe that so many people are so laid back and 'OK' with being knocked out of a major cup competition at the first hurdle, by a 3rd tier side, on our own patch. IMO it's a disgrace. I know we've had many, many, in fact too many results like that in the past. But at least then people used to be a little bit contrite about it. And I thought Alladici had made us 'hard to beat'.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

You might have had a point until the last sentence, BonsoBob. After all it was an own goal and a penalty shoot out that knocked us out.

I think most are seeing it as just one of those nights.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

WorcesterWHU wrote:You might have had a point until the last sentence, BonsoBob. After all it was an own goal and a penalty shoot out that knocked us out.

Still got beat and dumped out though WWHU.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

BondsoBob wrote:I can't believe that so many people are so laid back and 'OK' with being knocked out of a major cup competition at the first hurdle, by a 3rd tier side, on our own patch. IMO it's a disgrace. I know we've had many, many, in fact too many results like that in the past. But at least then people used to be a little bit contrite about it. And I thought Alladici had made us 'hard to beat'.

But I thought that we were all ok that if we play nice passing football and lose?? :lol:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

WorcesterWHU wrote:You might have had a point until the last sentence, BonsoBob. After all it was an own goal and a penalty shoot out that knocked us out.

Exactly that :thup:

Sure, it's disappointing, on a wide number of levels. But it kind of continues the theme between us and the Blunts. They had no right to get anything, we didn't really do anything wrong, yet some how they come away with a result. The footballing equivalent of a Lord Griffiths tribunal....
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

Mushy, re: likey attendance for this game if we were at the OS. Honestly mate, I don't know. If it's me in charge, I'm gonna do the following:

tenner for STH, junior STH's Free. just apply for and get your ticket
Members 15 quid lower tier (if there's any seats left) £10 upper Tier
probably throw in kids for a quid as well.

possible attendance? 35-40,000+ Now for a midweek against Div 3 oppo, that's a very decent crowd. I think we were one of the top attendances anyway right?

The club need to understand that it's about the matchday experience. If they price tickets sensibly enough, they will fill the ground. if you then have enough properly run concession stalls (food drinks/clothing) you will make plenty enough money.
All those with kids know full well that taking them along can get mighty expensive, so fill the ground regularly and the turnover will increase. But the concession area's need to be quality and properly managed, unlike the current shower of twats. West Lower bar had run out of beer against the spuds, before half time.
How the f*** can this happen?
gets worse, they ran out of soft drinks as well by the end of half time.

Brewery/piss up..you know the score bud... :x
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Graza wrote: First reduced cost game, league cup, family cup, KFAQ will probably be packed as it's the first chance a lot of people will have to see us play at the OS. First one of these the following season is the acid test
As long we don't keep losing to 3rd Division teams :(
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

BondsoBob wrote: IMO it's a disgrace. I know we've had many, many, in fact too many results like that in the past.
Back then we'd play our first team, Bob. On Tuesday we had a raw 17 and 19-year-old, two full debutants up front plus a player who'd only had one outing previously in pre-season (Morrison).
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Not having a full strength team is no excuse - it was the manager's choice and if he chooses to pick a team that isn't good enough to beat a 3rd division team (which as we lost it wasn't) he must bear responsibility.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

brownout wrote:Not having a full strength team is no excuse - it was the manager's choice and if he chooses to pick a team that isn't good enough to beat a 3rd division team (which as we lost it wasn't) he must bear responsibility.
It's the managers fault Winston Reid put an innocuous cross into his own net with no SU player within 5 yards of him ?

The things.........
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

We should be good enough to beat a 3rd division team even if we make one mistake.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

brownout wrote:Not having a full strength team is no excuse - it was the manager's choice and if he chooses to pick a team that isn't good enough to beat a 3rd division team (which as we lost it wasn't) he must bear responsibility.
Just because a team is good enough to beat another team if doesn't mean they will.

Some people appear so naive on here about football.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

brownout wrote:We should be good enough to beat a 3rd division team even if we make one mistake.
Nothing new,we lost 3-0 to Mansfield with Moore,Hurst,Peters,Bonds and Brooking.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Oldun wrote: Nothing new,we lost 3-0 to Mansfield with Moore,Hurst,Peters,Bonds and Brooking.

Allardyce wasn't the manager the so that result will just be one of those things.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

At least this defeat should now put an end to the annual clambering's for us to play them in cup competitions
jon253

Post by jon253 »

brownout wrote:We should be good enough to beat a 3rd division team even if we make one mistake.
Welcome to the West Ham way, I remember the days so well put out a good side and lose to a club 2 divisions below us.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

It's a funny old game