Crystal Palace 1-3 West Ham Utd (23/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chickawah

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by chickawah »

Clattenburg let a lot go on both sides I thought. But yeah, Palace should've had a few booked. Had a laugh when Cole gave him a hug after he finally gave him a foul.
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

Disgraceful that this has dropped off the front page already!

That was the proverbial breath of fresh air. This squad has real potential and if they can reproduce that sort of high tempo attacking performance, that'll do me and my old man nicely.

I thought Carlton looked a different propostion within the new setup.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ooh look who it is wrote:
Yeah kept saying that myself. So blatant as well. I even waved an imaginary yellow myself.
You was waving a Bunty comic at one point.... :wink:
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Disney Princess actually. Sadly left it behind in the club but still got the pencil case though :thup:
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

HammerMan2004 wrote:On the contrary, introduce Carroll into a team playing like we did yesterday and he'd grab a goal. He'd take up two defenders and cause chaos with your Zarates, Downings and Kouyates running into the box.
doubt it, he makes nolan look quick
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

richneal wrote: Agreed.
Have to say that all four goals were really well taken - the first three (including theirs) were all crackers, and CC finished tidily for the 4th.
Cresswell get burnt a few times today - think all the opposing managers might be licking their lips
I couldnt make Selhurst park (more's the pity, I work with some eagles) do others who were there agree? I thought against Spurs that, for all offered going forward he looked poor defensively. I'm hoping it is just initial nerves or that Sam can coach better performances out of him as he looked a weak link to me v spurs.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

richneal wrote:Cresswell get burnt a few times today - think all the opposing managers might be licking their lips
upton o'good wrote: I couldnt make Selhurst park (more's the pity, I work with some eagles) do others who were there agree? I thought against Spurs that, for all offered going forward he looked poor defensively. I'm hoping it is just initial nerves or that Sam can coach better performances out of him as he looked a weak link to me v spurs.
To be fair to Cresswell, I'm only watching the game on space telly, so I miss all the off-the-ball stuff - he could be doing a great job tracking back and marking players out of the game, but I would miss virtually all of that. I'm stuck with ball-watching and completely at the mercy of the sports directors and commentators to get a fraction of anything meaningful off the ball. Context is everything, eh?

That being said, with the very limited perspective I've got, if I was an opposition manager I'd be looking to have a speedy right-winger turn him inside out. Early days, let's see what happens.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

kenthammer1984 wrote:If Kouyate carries on like this he might not be here in January.
Yeah. Probably wont b long before we hear : 'I've got to get away to a bigger club'.

:o
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

upton o'good wrote:I couldnt make Selhurst park (more's the pity, I work with some eagles) do others who were there agree? I thought against Spurs that, for all offered going forward he looked poor defensively. I'm hoping it is just initial nerves or that Sam can coach better performances out of him as he looked a weak link to me v spurs.
IMO - and I also only watched it on TV - he seemed too one footed, ie totally useless on his right and a total reliance on his left. He also seemed to get muscled off the ball fairly easily. That's not to say he had a bad game - his passing is decent, he gets forward and offers support very well, seems to have some pace, and has a great cross. To be fair though, hes fairly young, new to the team, and that was only his second ever premier league game. Stick with him and I'm sure the weak parts of his game will improve with experience. I like him and think in the long term, he'll be a good player for us.