West Ham Utd 1-3 Southampton (30/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Re: West Ham United v Southampton: Match Thread

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Is it just Sam though that's the problem, I don't know much about our coaching team, but I would expect them to see what's wrong and advise Sam, they are after all highly paid professionals who supposedly know what they are doing. Or is it that Sam is such a dominant force that he brooks no opinions and the coaches are merely yes men.
I can't believe that none of them have spoken to Sam, so I must assume that they are yes men, maybe this is what's bringing the whole aura around the club down . Sam is right and no argument and they dare not question his decisions, if he holds that much control and has stifled ideas and ambition, then is it any wonder why the players were so despondent before a ball was kicked yesterday, they know what the score is and live in fear in going against the party line.
We saw against Palace a picture of the future yesterday we had a picture of reality, how can a manager allow free flowing football away from home, but in front of our own crowd, go defensive immediately after taking the lead.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

I can't blame big Sam for the way we reacted to their short corner yesterday and was embarrassed by the Chants from Chavs Corner following their 2 nd yesterday.
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

Amazing what a bad result does, her self just said was I ok very quite all day, kin hell football what an affect it has sometimes :D
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

cockney farmer wrote:I can't blame big Sam for the way we reacted to their short corner yesterday and was embarrassed by the Chants from Chavs Corner following their 2 nd yesterday.
Unforgivable defending. What were the chants?
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

F off sam allardyce...

usual **** by the idiots who think big sam is solely responsible.

funny that when we played so well against palace teddy sherringham got the praise for it.
tall paul
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by tall paul »

^^^^^^^^
"f*** off Sam allardyce" was the main one
Phil S
Has liked: 460 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

they already tried the short corner and Vaz got a bollocking from Noble for not closing down. He'd gone off the second time but still **** defending.

Just thought Southampton had our number yesterday...better all round and all game.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Blimey we lost a game! We've been inconsistent for years. Played some excellent stuff and were unlucky to lose against spurs. We battered palace. We have an off day where the opposition turn up and deliver and this site goes into meltdown. I blame the tea lady!
Fwiw I think we're going to give some teams a right pasting this year. We have the players to do it. Song Is a player and will really help us out.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Anyone else notice that the area that Southampton sent back was very much like the City game last season ??

No rumours about cheap tickets going about is there....
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Romford wrote:Anyone else notice that the area that Southampton sent back was very much like the City game last season ??

No rumours about cheap tickets going about is there....
Those 2 blocks were never on sale online, which they normally always are if the away team returns tickets...
LincolnshireHammer

DICAN10 wrote:F off sam allardyce...

usual **** by the idiots who think big sam is solely responsible.

funny that when we played so well against palace teddy sherringham got the praise for it.
Whilst I agree, it is the people in Chav Corner who go and watch every week. I know a lot of them are season ticket holders. But the blame doesn't solely lie with Sam.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

simon1982 wrote:Blimey we lost a game! We've been inconsistent for years. Played some excellent stuff and were unlucky to lose against spurs. We battered palace. We have an off day where the opposition turn up and deliver and this site goes into meltdown. I blame the tea lady!
Fwiw I think we're going to give some teams a right pasting this year. We have the players to do it. Song Is a player and will really help us out.
Couldn't agree more, as long as we can keep the negativity away we've still got a potentially good seqson ahead.
LincolnshireHammer

Wait, we've lost the last 9/10 matches? That includes friendlies by the way.

Take what you will from that...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Romford wrote:I didn't think we deserved our lead and wasn't surprised when they equalised and went on to win.
Whether we did or didn't ... which can never really be proven either way, after all, as it's simply a matter of opinion ... would you not agree that yesterday we at least capitalised on our opportunity when it arose? Something which you were critical of against Tottenham?
Romford wrote:My big question is still....if Southampton can do it then we can.
They have one point more than us, as things stand. Now Swansea on the other hand ... that's impressive.

You like a flutter, Rom ... what are the odds on Allardyce being offered a new contract at the end of the season?

And before you ask, I'm strictly sportsman's only :wink:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote: Whether we did or didn't ... which can never really be proven either way, after all, as it's simply a matter of opinion ... would you not agree that yesterday we at least capitalised on our opportunity when it arose? Something which you were critical of against Tottenham?

They have one point more than us, as things stand. Now Swansea on the other hand ... that's impressive.

You like a flutter, Rom ... what are the odds on Allardyce being offered a new contract at the end of the season?

And before you ask, I'm strictly sportsman's only :wink:
I am trying to look at the bigger picture.

Yes we were more offensive both at Palace and yesterday when we had the ball...in fact far too much i'd say. I would have put someone in front of the centrebacks and swapped O Brien who i thought was shocking yesterday

Swansea....you always get one team who start off with a flyer. Years ago it used to be us and we'd going missing after Xmas. They wont finish above our visitors yesterday IMHO.

Us ?.....another season of this bloke and i'm on my toes. I cannot handle it anymore. I've cut my away games down hugely and expect to do less than 10 for the first time in over 30 years.

I hope and think the Chairmen will do what's best for the club in the long term future.

So to answer your question....no way will he be here next season especially knowing we have to find 20k bums on seats.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Romford wrote:Yes we were more offensive both at Palace and yesterday when we had the ball...in fact far too much i'd say. I would have put someone in front of the centrebacks and swapped O Brien who i thought was shocking yesterday.
I didn't really notice Joey much yesterday, but you're not the first to say that.

Interesting point about being too attacking. Is the change of philosophy - if that is indeed what it is - contributing to our defensive problems?
Romford wrote:Swansea....you always get one team who start off with a flyer. Years ago it used to be us and we'd going missing after Xmas. They wont finish above our visitors yesterday IMHO.
Maybe. I was surprised though, like many I had them down to struggle under the new fella.
Romford wrote:So to answer your question....no way will he be here next season especially knowing we have to find 20k bums on seats.
It's all about results, ultimately ... I think he's going to have do something special, maybe top seven ... but I just wouldn't put it past him.

And you'll still be here next August too :)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

If we finish in the top seven.....I will not drink for 6 months !!
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Romford wrote: Us ?.....another season of this bloke and i'm on my toes. I cannot handle it anymore. I've cut my away games down hugely and expect to do less than 10 for the first time in over 30 years.

I hope and think the Chairmen will do what's best for the club in the long term future.

So to answer your question....no way will he be here next season especially knowing we have to find 20k bums on seats.
An interesting point. With performances like that surely the Daves will take into consideration we are not going to get 50,000 fans every other week to watch that, and then we become that laughing stock that rival fans have been talking about ever since we acquired the OS. The empty seats will be very bad for everyone.

I have this odd feeling that they want keep hold onto Sam to stabilize us as a Premier League side (loosely using that word 'stabilize')until we move into the OS and then they will drop him and make their move with a top managerial signing.
I'm hoping.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:If we finish in the top seven.....I will not drink for 6 months !!
Somebody must be able to do a graphic imposing the league table on a pint , with every point gained seeing the glass getting emptier ?

FWIW, I reckon we may see SA get another contract = possibly a 12 month rolling deal .
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1857 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

the pink palermo wrote:..............................................

FWIW, I reckon we may see SA get another contract = possibly a 12 month rolling deal .
An interesting concept. Would Sam accept what would be seen as a "sack him cheaply" contract?