West Ham Utd 1-3 Southampton (30/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: West Ham United v Southampton: Match Thread

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Fishdo wrote:
I was unable to see the first half live so when catching up on the live score sites... That was the statement used by BBC report at the time .... And sky said something similar.... But there was a lot of contradictions depending which site you checked on.... Like 2 different games....
Southampton were the better side throughout the game and I remember us being 2-1 down and a stat read they had 14 shots on goal to our 3.
We were significantly outplayed and we never really got going.
kesh

Post by kesh »

Average age of Southampton's 10 outfield players was 25.3

Average age of West Ham Utd outfield players was 26.8.

Was trying to draw on the theory that players physically peak at 24, as Southampton just seemed to have a bit more youthful zip about them, but we're not that much older then them. More a growing confidence thing, bounce of the ball seemed to fall well for them and they seemed to have quarter-of-a-yard on us collectively.

Burst the Palace bubble anyhoo, one game and was dreaming of europa league football.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote: I disagree. But I would...
Sorry mate...I couldn't resist :D

I didn't think we deserved our lead and wasn't surprised when they equalised and went on to win.

My big question is still....if Southampton can do it then we can.

The only person stopping it is the arrogant Dinosaur in charge....

He still thinks he knows better...even this morning.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Despite losing players southampton are still no mugs and have spent a lot more than people realise. They gave a very good liverpool side a run for their money. Yesterday was just a bad day at the office, I can't wait for the next game to put some of this knee jerking to rest. Having some atmosphere at home might even help the team a bit.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ryanrc wrote:Despite losing players southampton are still no mugs and have spent a lot more than people realise. They gave a very good liverpool side a run for their money. Yesterday was just a bad day at the office, I can't wait for the next game to put some of this knee jerking to rest. Having some atmosphere at home might even help the team a bit.
They gave a very poor Liverpool side a game.

They were lucky to get a draw at home with West Brom....

I bet they don't finish above tenth.

We shouldn't be played off the park by that sort of side...and the fact that we were ruined the atmosphere.

How some blame the crowd i really don't know....it was the lack of workrate and effort that lost the game yesterday. You name me a crowd that has gone through what we have (and what we pay) and would get cheered off the park.

No-one give less value for money to their home crowd than us in the whole Prem.
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

Romford wrote:
"A very poor Liverool side". Not as if they've let Liverpool look relatively poor. It's always a game between two teams, Rom. As much as you love your holy oppinion, don't be so shortsighted.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Romford wrote:

They were lucky to get a draw at home with West Brom....

I bet they don't finish above tenth.

We shouldn't be played off the park by that sort of side...and the fact that we were ruined the atmosphere.

How some blame the crowd i really don't know....it was the lack of workrate and effort that lost the game yesterday. You name me a crowd that has gone through what we have (and what we pay) and would get cheered off the park.

No-one give less value for money to their home crowd than us in the whole Prem.
The same poor liverpool side that made spurs look poor today?

The crowd was silent from the first bloody minute, I don't know what's happened to upton park it's not the same tough place to go as it used to be that's for sure. You can pay your money and be silent and then get on the teams back if you like but I guarantee you it ain't gonna help us at all.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vapourtrail wrote: "A very poor Liverool side". Not as if they've let Liverpool look relatively poor. It's always a game between two teams, Rom. As much as you love your holy oppinion, don't be so shortsighted.
It's my opinion...don't mean it's right. Please don't try that one

Every Liverpool fan i know said it was the worst they had performed for donkeys

Good teams have bad days...look at City yesterday.

Does that mean Stoke are a great side ??
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

Romford wrote: Good teams have bad days...look at City yesterday.

Does that mean Stoke are a great side ??
Stoke are a very good organised side, that is able to cause you a lot of problems if you're not 100% up to the task.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ryanrc wrote:
The same poor liverpool side that made spurs look poor today?

The crowd was silent from the first bloody minute, I don't know what's happened to upton park it's not the same tough place to go as it used to be that's for sure. You can pay your money and be silent and then get on the teams back if you like but I guarantee you it ain't gonna help us at all.
Yep...see above.

I paid my money and kept shtum yesterday...because the team didn't do anything to get me excited.

It didn't make any difference to the result.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Romford wrote:
Yep...see above.

I paid my money and kept shtum yesterday...because the team didn't do anything to get me excited.

It didn't make any difference to the result.
I beg to differ. Crowds give players a big lift which is why nobody used to like coming to our gaff...not the case anymore. You also just said good teams have bad days but don't you think we just had a bad day yesterday after two great performances? If so, why get on their backs and not support them? It must be hard to play at home knowing your own fans can't wait to get on your back the moment you slip up.
kesh

Post by kesh »

ryanrc wrote:Crowds give players a big lift which is why nobody used to like coming to our gaff...not the case anymore.
Not like we can just uproots and get a new gaff.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Slowly but surely the crowds had it's passion diminished, no doubt about it.

I think most know why...
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Slowly but surely the crowds had it's passion diminished, no doubt about it.

I think most know why...
**** players like Mido, Behrami, Franco, Upson?
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

So, we've lost 3 "cup finals" in as many weeks...and the Boleyn Kebabish is still closed.

Can it get any worse?

NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Was def worth resting players on Tuesday for yesterday though.

Glad it worked out...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ryanrc wrote:
I beg to differ. Crowds give players a big lift which is why nobody used to like coming to our gaff...not the case anymore. You also just said good teams have bad days but don't you think we just had a bad day yesterday after two great performances? If so, why get on their backs and not support them? It must be hard to play at home knowing your own fans can't wait to get on your back the moment you slip up.
That was a very long time ago fella...long before the Dinosaur arrived and made it The Borelyn

As i said...I don't get on the backs of the players, it's counterproductive, BUT i also cannot gee up 35K people when we have someone like the current manager in charge.

Last week we outsung the famous Palace Ultras because the team actually performed.

You honestly think the Dudley dour gives a toss about the fans ?
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

Unfortunately(or fortunately) I had to leave early yesterday, as poor as we were Southampton did look a decent side, I got the feeling our boys thought it was going to be a stroll, and got what they deserved, as nice a guys Vaz and Carlton are they really are not up to Premier league standard and despite his goal I thought Nobes gave the ball away too often and also gave too many fouls away, the full backs were elacking concentation and support and on a side note when we scored Winston didnt even celebrate and genrerally looked disinterested, hopefully this will be the kick up the a*se they need, but as I said dont take anything away from Southampton,thought they were excellent.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

orbital wrote:Unfortunately(or fortunately) I had to leave early yesterday, as poor as we were Southampton did look a decent side, I got the feeling our boys thought it was going to be a stroll, and got what they deserved, as nice a guys Vaz and Carlton are they really are not up to Premier league standard and despite his goal I thought Nobes gave the ball away too often and also gave too many fouls away, the full backs were elacking concentation and support and on a side note when we scored Winston didnt even celebrate and genrerally looked disinterested, hopefully this will be the kick up the a*se they need, but as I said dont take anything away from Southampton,thought they were excellent.
Sums it up perfectly. You don't get nothing if you don't put the work rate in, neither the result nor crowd support. If we had come out second half and put a shift in rather than look even less lively than the first, the fans would have risen to it, but even sat here before my computer I felt deflated 5 minutes in and that thousands of miles away .... it was a truly horrific performance but just due to complete lack of effort and application. Cole was a disgrace, he never worked the back four, the ball bobbled off him and I can't remember him making one pass to a team mate all game, coupled with Vaz Te's appalling ball retention and Nobles snail like play it was back to last year for me. Kouyate was doing two players work. I forgot Downing was playing as he never seemed to be doing very much, and Reid and Tompkins at one stage tackled each other. Yet again there was no plan B.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

FWIW I met up with a regular Saints fan after the game. He told me thet that is the best he has ever seen them play away. Maybe we could give the opposition a bit of credit. I thought they were bloody good yesterday. I also thought that the team looked completely leaderless. Sam's fault maybe but we need a proper Captain.