Manchester Utd 2-1 West Ham Utd (27/09/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Re: Manchester United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Romford wrote:Please don't try and take credit though......
I didn't.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

bondsbootlaces wrote:Sorry if it's already been covered elsewhere but just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the poor bloke in the disabled section yesterday? A lot of resuscitation from the medical staff and did not look good from where I was
Only seen this so far:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... 57#rlabs=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope he survived
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Barking Boy wrote:Wasn't van Persie coming back from an off side position when the ball was played to Falcao? Shouldn't it have been flagged?
That's exactly what I thought but I reckoned that, as nobody else had mentioned it at all, the rule must have changed and I must be totally wrong.

Otherwise, he was undeniably offside as he was several yards off as the attack developed.

Edit - Just did a quick google of this and it seems you are not offside if you were not interfering with play and had 'not attracted the attention' of the opposing defenders. So, I think that, if one of our defenders had appealed for offside, he may well have been pulled up for it.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Romford wrote:You think this was all part of the masterplan ?

I think it was more "if you still want a job next season".
Who'd wanna take the poisoned challice if he'd got the elbow?
Don't think there'd be too many quality takers tbh.
If there were I'm sure he'd have been gone before now.
They need him for what he does.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Poisoned chalice?

How hard is it?..You buy/borrow some pacy inexpensive midfielders

Took him three years though......
Austin 'Ammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Austin 'Ammer »

sanchoz wrote:
Only seen this so far:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... 57#rlabs=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope he survived
There are comments below the article from his daughter saying that he survived but is not well....
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

For those that went.
Were there any of those muggy half and half scarves on sale or are they only for the tourists that visit the Boleyn?
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

mushy wrote:For those that went.
Were there any of those muggy half and half scarves on sale or are they only for the tourists that visit the Boleyn?
Yep, there was even bods in our end wearing them.
kesh

Post by kesh »

Main thing i remember about this is around 70ish minutes in, Old Trafford baying for a red when Sakho (not the Reid telling off time) accidentally tripped Rafael just outside their box. As if they'd been badly done by having Rooney sent off for booting Downing in the groin while on a legit counter.
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

Only seen this so far:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... 57#rlabs=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope he survived
Cheers mate, hope it all ends up ok. They seemed to get to him quite quickly which probably made the difference.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Sadly, it was offside.
Whether we agree or disagree, is another matter.

Either way, it's rare to see us play at Old Trafford and be genuinely annoyed we didn't get a win. A point would have been the least we deserved.

Aside from the usual players that are currently impressing, it was good to see Jenkinson come in and look very good.

One thing of concern is that 3 of our last 4 goals conceded have come from mistakes, 2 of which from central midfielders.
Think eradicating that will come with a bit of extra sharpness; Kouyate looking a bit leggy against Hull and Song (though he was very good against Man Utd) still doesn't quite look 100%, which is a great sign if there's more to come!
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

mushy wrote:For those that went.
In all fairness those that had them in our end were a school football team from Australia so I can sort of understand why they might buy them just wondered how they managed to get so many tickets for a game that sold out
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:3 of our last 4 goals conceded have come from mistakes, 2 of which from central midfielders.
.... and the other, from a defender [Cresswell], being bullied off the ball by two Man United players and then leaving acres of space behind him for Rafael to run into completely unopposed and cross the ball into Rooney, who was also left in acres of space and was left completely unopposed to slot it home. He had so much time and space to score that goal, that to be honest, any of us could have scored that goal with that amount of time and space afforded to him. Oh and I'm not digging Cresswell out, if had been any other of our players, I still would have made this same point
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Wouldn't be surprised if a LB was bought or loaned in January, as it's the only position where there's no genuine competition. Cresswell will get there but he's been one of our weaker points in the opening part of the season, so we could have used another option to help blood him more gradually.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

One thing for sure, we have a real team here now, so many positives :crest:
Bryant4114
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bryant4114 »

Clacton-ammer wrote:One thing for sure, we have a real team here now, so many positives :crest:
Yet worryingly Nolan is back on the pitch and still intent on spending his time screaming at the referee and linesman.

You just know he's going to start against QPR
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Bryant4114 wrote:
Yet worryingly Nolan is back on the pitch and still intent on spending his time screaming at the referee and linesman.

You just know he's going to start against QPR
FFS we have 7 players who are massive Improvements to the team, who didnt play last year yet some belvie its still all down to Nolan despite him playing 3 games and being half an inch from being 2 in 3.

Always have to be someone to moan about doesn't there
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

We haven't really decided on this years boo boy yet have we?
Surely a good sign.
Looks like it will be Nolan (when selected), closely followed by Adrian and then Cresswell, judging by the comments on here.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

In some ways I quite like that we don't have competition for Cresswell. It just means he has to start which will be great for his progression. I definitely think he has the quality so then it's just about him gaining the experience and confidence.

As for Nolan, I actually think against big sides like Man United (arguable these days, but still) you want experienced players like Nolan in the mix-up. I also think that given the fact that Kouyate and Noble might be out for QPR, it's great that Nolan is fit. He wouldn't be in my starting line-up when everyone is available, but I'd rather have him fit than not.

I'm actually gutted twice for him because of the disallowed goal on Saturday, firstly as a West Ham fan as we deserved a point, but also because it would have confirmed to many of the doubters we have that he is still a very valuable player to have (which I think he did anyway).

I also think that a fit Andy Carroll would have eaten their centre-backs alive on Saturday. There's more than one to skin a cat, and we need all the tools we can get our hands on.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

mushy wrote:We haven't really decided on this years boo boy yet have we?
Surely a good sign.
Looks like it will be Nolan (when selected), closely followed by Adrian and then Cresswell, judging by the comments on here.
Nolan and Winston. Carlton getting his usual dose when he's starting regularly while ACON is on