West Ham Utd 2-1 Manchester City (25/10/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Re: West Ham United v Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Hammer of Oz wrote:
Not ashamed to say that I shed a tear singing 'Bubbles' and after the match. Thank you West Ham for one of the best days of my life.
Lovely post. Glad you chose a good one. Don't leave it 29 years next time mind ;)
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2608 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

btajim - mcfc wrote:Well done, Hammers. You've had an excellent start to the season and it shows how some patience, hard work and evolution pays off.
Cheers Jim, it is much appreciated - it's really quite exciting times being a West Ham fan at the moment, seeing some top performances week after week. We'll keep on enjoying it until the bubble bursts!!

I have managed to prolong the enjoyment of Saturday's result until tonight when I finally watched Match of the Day. We were up visiting friends in Chester and the delays on the M6 meant that I could listen to the whole game on the radio ... apologies to anyone driving around Chester on Saturday afternoon who was driving anywhere near the bell-end in the Passat ... it was me, driving erratically as I was on tenterhooks listening to the last 10 minutes. Didn't watch MoTD on Saturday and just basked in the Paper reports yesterday, along with congratulations from the Everton supporting mates we visited.

Thought we were blinding and are deservedly getting the plaudits.
I've got curly hair too

Post by I've got curly hair too »

btajim - mcfc wrote:
I felt our defence let us down. Goodness knows where Clichy was for your first goal and the second was a bit of a scramble. Lovely goal by Silva but when we have 70% possession and 21 shots then we only have ourselves to blame for losing.

Well done, Hammers. You've had an excellent start to the season and it shows how some patience, hard work and evolution pays off.
Our second goal was hardly a scramble Jim. A perfectly placed header, the only one scrambling was your goalie, in vain.
For all of your possession, your only players that came out with any credit were Aguero and Silva. Song out Yaya'ed Yaya and your Captain was very lucky to be on the pitch at the end. Sure we rode our luck but the ref gave us nothing. All in all it was a cracking game and I felt that we deserved to just shade it
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote:I felt our defence let us down. Goodness knows where Clichy was for your first goal and the second was a bit of a scramble. Lovely goal by Silva but when we have 70% possession and 21 shots then we only have ourselves to blame for losing.

Well done, Hammers. You've had an excellent start to the season and it shows how some patience, hard work and evolution pays off.
Am I the only one that sees this post as a little condescending and said through gritted teeth?
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Just got home to Dorset after making a full weekend of it...wasn't expecting that when I planned the time off but hugely glad I did. Voice still a bit hoarse, shoulders still throbbing from doing the Poznan...

I'm trying not to get carried away after 9 games, and to be honest I don't think I am, but my word I reckon we've got a team and a half out there now. This result and performance wasn't a fluke or jammy in any way, it was us going toe-to-toe with a fantastic side in City (who maybe weren't at their absolute best but certainly weren't at their worst - we simply didn't let them do what they wanted to do).

Just the one bad show this season so far v Saints. An ability to go away and actually win games rather than settling for a point. An attitude when playing against the top 2 teams from last season that we are the team looking to dictate play and if you want to do something about that, give it your best shot...we'll trade punches with you.

This feels like a club going places... have often thought it before but with a caveat that has usually come true! We'll f*** up again this season at times, usually when we'll least expect it, but at last, for the first time in yonks, we have a tangible sense of progress, whereby hopefully we'll be able to see little dints in our progress as just that, rather than going ape-**** in panic.

Dammit, had a load more articulate ways of putting stuff but perhaps thankfully for all I can't recall them now.

Just great to be able to enjoy it all for what it is... was great on Saturday walking into a pub in Russell Square after the game with me shirt on and getting the kudos from all inside; made those pints of Tribute slip down all the easier!

Very proud of the team and the boss, here's to more of the same! :scarfer:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Dyer's Leg wrote:Am I the only one that sees this post as a little condescending and said through gritted teeth?
No. I like Jim as a poster. But I thought this particular post was a bit big-clubish. To describe the second goal as a scramble was strange. Hey ho though, there's been far worse stuff posted on here by our own today.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: No. I like Jim as a poster. But I thought this particular post was a bit big-clubish. To describe the second goal as a scramble was strange. Hey ho though, there's been far worse stuff posted on here by our own today.
I quite liked him too TBF, but for a while now he has been coming across a bit 'big-clubbish' to borrow your phrase.

Sorry Jim, but you do mate, ever since you went in to one in a thread on here about Man City and you got the right hump because we wasn't fawning over you and said a few harsh things about us.

Since then it's been a bit of a slippery slope, which is a shame really.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

WestHamByTheSea wrote: Dammit, had a load more articulate ways of putting stuff but perhaps thankfully for all I can't recall them now:
Thought you gave it a pretty good go.

Games like that do that to you. There's about 1 million things to talk about, a real sensory overload.

I thought just doing the Poznan was enough, summed up the day.

I'm still buzzing too :thup:
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Dyer's Leg wrote: Am I the only one that sees this post as a little condescending and said through gritted teeth?
I've seen everyone the same way for the past 4 or whatever years to be honest.

" The second goal was a bit of a scramble..." :shock:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Manchester City as a club and as a fanbase have gone right down the pan. A team full of diving cheats and a captain who thinks he is the ref. The fans think they are the new Manchester United, and act accordingly. A sorry state of affairs IMHO

Only players to come out with credit were Toure, for giving a mascot his shirt at half time and chatting to them all as he came off, plus protesting Song's innocence when he got booked, and Hart for indicating Sakho had a head injury and making sure the ref knew
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2015 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Dyer's Leg wrote: Am I the only one that sees this post as a little condescending and said through gritted teeth?
No. Not at all.

Your post on the other hand....... :oops:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Dyer's Leg wrote:Am I the only one that sees this post as a little condescending and said through gritted teeth?
What fan openly wants to see their team lose? We've got one of the strongest squads in Europe so I expect to see us get something out of every match. The stats show we weren't battered but I also don't believe we were robbed. Just beaten by a side who took their chances. Any thought to City hitting the woodwork on a couple of occasions?

I struggle to believe any fan of any club doesn't see it with at least a little bias. For me, it's going to be City losing over West Ham winning each and every time. I look at the faults in our defence and the midfield battles etc. I wouldn't expect anything less from you guys.

For what it's worth, I spent 20 minutes in a post office this lunchtime to send a programme to a Hammer exiled in Herefordshire. He gets one win, lose or draw.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

I don't think Jims posts are condescending - just typical of the sense of entitlement I guess you assume when you've spent half a billion.

If you counter Jim's Aguero/Yaya argument with Downing/Valencia etc.. a miss is a ****ing miss!!

2-1 it was and so the record books will say for ever and ever :D
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I'd offer to apologise if my posts were seen as condescending but I'm optimistic that Dyer's Leg has misread my intentions when I came on here. Before the match, I said I'd be back for a post-mortem and I've stuck to my word. I certainly don't recall coming on here giving it some after we've won either so hopefully no harm is done.

Time to draw a line under this and move on, IMO. Good luck against Stoke on Saturday. They've won their last couple of home matches and Mark Hughes teams are difficult to play against at the best of times. I think they beat someone significant away earlier in the season. I forget who...
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

I wouldn't worry Jim.

You've been on here long enough to know how the rollercoaster of emotions affect people
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Rio wrote:I wouldn't worry Jim.

You've been on here long enough to know how the rollercoaster of emotions affect people

agreed Rio, we've had a good 9 games overall but some of us are looking at Champions League :lol:

Football gets you like that
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

btajim - mcfc wrote:I struggle to believe any fan of any club doesn't see it with at least a little bias. For me, it's going to be City losing over West Ham winning each and every time.
Of course
For what it's worth, I've always found your input to this site both interesting and respectful. I can't say I always agree, but it adds to the rich tapestry of opinion to read the input of a well meaning non-Hammer, and one who obviously has a fair understanding of the game

Generally, imo, you add a neutral balance, but of course if it is your club we're facing, I guess it's perfectly understandable to be so completely blinded by loyalty to your own team that you see our wonderful second goal as a goalmouth scramble :wink:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I met Jim at both our games at City last year when they reached a final and won the league. He was very magnanimous.

And pissed.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote:I'd offer to apologise if my posts were seen as condescending but I'm optimistic that Dyer's Leg has misread my intentions when I came on here. Before the match, I said I'd be back for a post-mortem and I've stuck to my word. I certainly don't recall coming on here giving it some after we've won either so hopefully no harm is done.

Time to draw a line under this and move on, IMO. Good luck against Stoke on Saturday. They've won their last couple of home matches and Mark Hughes teams are difficult to play against at the best of times. I think they beat someone significant away earlier in the season. I forget who...
No problem mate - I thought your comments were fine - one man's scramble is another's deft flick.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

"Hitting the woodwork" doesn't qualify as half a goal or anything, it's the same as punting it into the crowd behind the goal. It's a miss.

It's not as if the woodwork wasn't there it would have somehow been a goal, it wouldn't.

Hitting the post equals missing the target, could do better.

I saw our 'scrambled' second goal as a pinpoint cross (not for the first time either) to the head of a striker who can head the ball pretty well.