West Ham Utd 2-0 Leicester City (20/12/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gep

Re: West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread

Post by Gep »

Not sure if already mentioned?? Apologees if so. But I missed the AC flying into the advertising hoardings as I was preoccupied with the scrap that was occurring next to me at the chav corner. Two guys were exchanging blows. Dud anyone else see it???

Fighting amongst our own. Geez.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Had to laugh at the Merry Christmas poster in yesterday's programme.

Malf looks like he's lost a fiver and found a dog turd in his pocket.

Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I didn't see it yeserday, but my mate I was with reckons that when Reid was given the captains armband he was gesturing that he didn't want it. Anyone else spot it?

Overall there was a decent atmosphere about the place, and I thought it was a very professional performance from us. I thought Carroll, Song and Cresswell were all superb.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

jaybs wrote:All round not a bad match, early on I thought that Leicester were going to give us a game, Song as everyone says is such a talent, of course no one can be compared to Bobby Moore, I may have only been young when I was watching him but I have never seen a player who seemed to have so much time as Bobby and so cool. The Downing goal was superb, really warmed up the afternoon! Stuart knows what his position is and that is the one he excels in, hope Sam respects it,

We did go off at stages the long balls were just not working, but we were in the lead, I just wishes that Sam had replaced someone up front a little earlier, we do miss Noble and I can't wait to see him back.

It was only a few weeks ago many were knocking Adrian and talking about signing a goal keeper in January, I could not understand why then and yesterday was even more proof, some great saves and his enthusiasm is first class,
It was only a few weeks ago you were knocking Carroll and advocating that we should sell him. Now he has 3 goals in 5 starts and two assists, I also notice you failed to mention him at all.

You're always able to have a dig, so why can't you bring it upon yourself to give him credit where credit is due?

I bet it must be killing you that he is starting to do well and hit form.
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

Gep wrote:Not sure if already mentioned?? Apologees if so. But I missed the AC flying into the advertising hoardings as I was preoccupied with the scrap that was occurring next to me at the chav corner. Two guys were exchanging blows. Dud anyone else see it???

Yea I see that mate they were throwing punches at each other until one of them was taken away (by his mate?) to calm the situation but was going on for a good minute....Really not something you want to see
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Turns to Stone wrote: Rodgers man-management of them both was appalling. It's easy to manage players when you bin the ones off you don't like and buy new ones, the real test is trying to get performances out of the players you do have.
I find it funny how he has ****ed the goalkeeper situation there now too.

I've lost count how many times I've watched Downing's goal now. It was beautiful.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3501 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Enjoy.

The opposition view... Leicester City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128068
SDKFZ 222

Post by SDKFZ 222 »

Carroll's falling into the hoardings happened right in front of where I sit.

He went for a ball, his ankle seemed to buckle beneath him and his momentum sent him into the pit and hoardings right in front of us. However, what looked more serious was the fact that his chest smashed into the top of the hoarding, which is effectively an iron bar that holds the cardboard advertisements. As he did it his face was contorted in pain and we all feared the worst. Luckily he emerged a few moments later relatively unscathed.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Dave Nugent Banter with the Corner

Post by Pulls up Trees »

AMC1964 wrote:Well done Dave Nugent..good lad. :thup:
Yup, legendary banter with him yesterday. Sitting near the Chav corner is comedy gold.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Nice applause for Konchesky too when he went off
SDKFZ 222

Post by SDKFZ 222 »

I know it was a very long time ago but I remember standing right behind the South Bank goal when we played Man City in 1973. Joe Corrigan, their keeper, turned around and asked if we had a spare fag and then pretended to draw on a discarded dog end which had been thrown into his goal mouth.

We won 2-0, goals from Ted MacDougall and Pop.
Gep

Post by Gep »

We're coming for you!........... We're coming for yoooou! .............BAR-CE-LO-NA!! .......... We're coming for you!!!
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Up the Junction wrote:Enjoy.

Cheers UTJ :thup:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Winston Reid was exceptional yesterday. My MOTM.
denzel

Post by denzel »

Up the Junction wrote:Enjoy.

"I hope the players all have terrible Christmases."

:D
denzel

Post by denzel »

fjthegrey wrote:Winston Reid was exceptional yesterday. My MOTM.
Made a terrific block seconds before we scored out first :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Now he has 3 goals in 5 starts and two assists, I also notice you failed to mention him at all.
Couldn't make the game yesterday and not seen it, so can't comment on the game. However, being a pedant, he has 3 in six starts, not 3 in 5
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

A nice easy routine win in the end.

It's great beating Man City and Liverpool, but it's wins against struggling sides at home that are the key to keeping us near the top. We managed to beat Leicester without ever really getting going yesterday. We kept the ball well, took our chances when they came (mostly) and looked fairly comfortable late on when they pressed.

Hopefully reasonably fresh for Chelsea boxing day.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Gep wrote:Not sure if already mentioned?? Apologees if so. But I missed the AC flying into the advertising hoardings as I was preoccupied with the scrap that was occurring next to me at the chav corner. Two guys were exchanging blows. Dud anyone else see it???

Poor form wasn't it. Never good seeing **** like that. Saw a woman tumble briefly and it seemed to kick off about that.

Saying that though, one of the geezers landed a superb punch (not on the woman obviously).
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

As the lcfc mob noted, it was a brilliant through ball from Konchesky to Carroll yesterday - perfectly weighted."No wonder the West Ham fans clapped him off." (Cresswell and Song tried the same thing later but couldn't quite pull it off!)

Seriously, I thought Leicester looked very good for large chunks of the match yesterday. Their 5-man midfield was winning everything at points and for at least 30 minutes of the first half were pressing and running rings round our 4 in midfield. When we got possession we lost it immediately. There is something for us to learn from that for the next matches. I'm sure opposition coaches will be looking at that first 45 minutes again and again - licking their lips.

Credit to Leicester for trying to make a game of it - they came out and wanted a match. They looked like a good team - there was no parking the bus. Was an open match, and we have Adrian to thank for a couple of very good saves towards the end. Overall, I enjoyed the match for the football from both sides, which is what it's all about.

And I'm delighted to echo what others have said on here - our backs going forward definitely leave us exposed at the back. Great - I want to see this - taking a gamble and seeing what we can pull off.

Leicester's heads' dropped a bit after the second, but IMO the biggest difference between the teams yesterday was that we took two very good chances - no mean feat. Perhaps that's the difference between the top half of the table and the bottom half.