Chelsea 2-0 West Ham Utd (26/12/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RM6

Re: Chelsea v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by RM6 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: I remember when West Ham managers and captains used to get unequivocal support from the vast majority of us...
It's manifesting itself in other areas of society as well.

There's a growing section of society that without experience or qualification inherently know how to be Prime Minster, Chancellor of the Exchequer, CEO of FSTE 100 company, a Football Manager far better than the people that have the education and experience to actually obtain these positions in the first place.

It would be f*cking hilarious if it didn't cause so much trouble.
Last edited by RM6 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

hammer_lad wrote:You could try that I'm better than you approach, or you could just say that they didn't have an open forum to vent their frustrations on, like the one that UTJ has set up here.....
True, we didn't. But even so the atmosphere and general air of positiveness or (in bad seasons) good natured, humorous fatalism rather than today's anger and bile is a marked difference between then and now, so the lack of a forum back then is nether here nor there. If you want to kid yourself otherwise then so be it.

Of course people have different opinions but for our club to be in 5th place and to hear people still popping at the manager and the best captain we've had in years is something that would not have happened at UP until recent years. That's not playing a "better than you" approach but the way- that's just the difference between who we were and what we have become.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by Rio »

As said above all social media including this forum has done is helped created division, given bigger voices to those who aren't neccesarily best place to voice and harvest intolerance.

I love the ability to debate my club, but only when those contributing aren't so narrow minded to believe everything they think is gospel
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

DoubleDave wrote:I expect us to win every game we play, and to me that's not unreasonable, if you don't expect to win then why play or go to watch, I know that there are games that it will be harder for us to win, but I expect us to try and win, I expect to go to work every day and try to do my very best and I expect my bosses to try to make our company beat our competition, if not why bother going to work, so I don't buy into the mindset of " well it was Chelsea and we didn't expect to win so we should just write it off and concentrate on Arsenal" hell no it's Chelsea and we should look at beating them......
Absolutely spot on. I just don't get this 'Oh well it was Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Man U etc...so what do you expect ?' . It something like that that first turned me against Hairy Redknob. After getting hammered 7-1 at Old Trafford didn't he say 'Oh well it was Man United what do you expect ?'. Could you imagine Ferguson or Moanio or Wenger coming out with something like that if their team had just been humiliated ? I don't think so.
Back to subject, you just have to into every game trying to win !
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Internet: given a voice and public platform to everyone. Unfortunately, the majority of 'everyone' are clueless bellends.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

steveyrockstar wrote:Internet: given a voice and public platform to everyone. Unfortunately, the majority of 'everyone' are clueless bellends.
This made me smile inbetween coughing my flu riden lungs up
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

steveyrockstar wrote:Internet: given a voice and public platform to everyone. Unfortunately, the majority of 'everyone' are clueless bellends.
Except of course yourself.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

giantsteps wrote:Tenner says Nolan will start tomorrow.

more than happy for you to pay your tenner into the bmf
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3480 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ozza wrote:more than happy for you to pay your tenner into the bmf
I concur with Ozza.
hammer_lad wrote:...you could just say that they didn't have an open forum to vent their frustrations on, like the one that UTJ has set up here.....
Ha! Hasn't prevented you from having your say though, has it?
hammer_lad wrote:The fact that whenever anyone criticise's allardyce or Nolan you appear with "here we go" or "didn't take long did it" seems a bit like you have set your camp out and that's it.
That's a "fact", is it? :)

In this instance you refer to, I responded when El_Diablo referred to our manager as "a moron" because we didn't "play the diamond". That's not criticism, it's abuse - and it prevents others from posting:
Neil wrote:I totally respect that people have different opinions from me and it is good to have healthy debate. But the abuse aimed at the manager, the players and other posters (from both sides of the argument before I get jumped on) just makes it not a particularly pleasant place to be.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

So why isn't it cracked down upon anymore ?

This site used to be the best moderated on the web....

I have personally given up because i didn't recieve backing.

The lack of manners on here now is a disgrace.

Why should someone get treated worse on a website than in real life ?
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

DoubleDave wrote: I expect to go to work every day and try to do my very best and I expect my bosses to try to make our company beat our competition, if not why bother going to work..
Clearly you don't need the money then??

I don't expect us to win every game. The fact we never have suggests we never will??
However, being a rational supporter that lives in hope more than expectation, I do expect our team to try it's best.