Chelsea 2-0 West Ham Utd (26/12/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Re: Chelsea v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Kendal Iron »

simonirons wrote:I'd be pissed if we rested anyone, we should be throwing everything at this.
I'll be pissed if we win, but I'd be pissed off if we rest anyone :wink:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

simonirons wrote:I'd be pissed if we rested anyone, we should be throwing everything at this.
I'll be pissed off if we win because I'm not going. :(
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:When we went there last year they were close to 100% as well. Only one team had achieved a draw there when we played them.

West Ham have scored in every away game this season.
I agree a draw is a realistic aim, and the bookies do to, offering 4/1. But the point was whether 10/1 represented value for an away win. There's no statistic to suggest that it's anything other than the usual daylight robbery from the bookies. And I say that as a former betting shop manager.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

We are having a great season so far but this lot are **** hot and don't lose at home. They show what money can buy you in football terms and thanks to their manager they know every trick in the book.

If we are to get anything discipline will be vital as they may well target some of our players, make a big thing of any fouls we may commit and you can guarantee that they will put the ref under big pressure.

Like I said they know every trick in the book.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Personally I don't need a reality check. We've done brilliant of course, but Chelski away is a tough tough game for anybody. For sure we can battle and give them problems, we have the players to hurt them. We need a top performance, a bit of crimbo luck (that's the tall order at Chelski) and we could nick something like last season. We could easy get a humping as well, but don't see that as a 'defining' thing. I hope we compete, give them summing to think about, make em work bloody hard. :scarfer:
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

1. Will be backs to the wall for large parts of this game. (er . . . just in case any of you couldn't figure that one out).
2. Which is fine because the gaffer doesn't really care about possession. (even if I do)
3. We will, therefore, need all our Roadrunner wannabes on the pitch - lightning fast is what will get us a break when we're on the break.
4.Early pressure from the get-go please - as per Liverpool and City.

Up front: Valencia and Sakho. They can both do it in the air, both fast, both good hold up play. Plus we'll have our two wingers (who sometime masquerade as full backs) on the attack. Four up front looks fine to me.

Nolan is a no-no - we need pace more than anything else for this game. Amalfitano in - will also help Cresswell down the flank - defending and attacking.

My guess is that the gaffer will start with Carroll, Nolan in the midfield four and five at the back with the three CB's.

I'll give the boss a shout during the week with my tactical advice and see if I can sort him out a bit - it's obvious he needs my help this season.
IngatestoneHammer

Post by IngatestoneHammer »

What do I want ?

Park the bus …be very tight defensively and get a great point

or play like we have all season away from home ….and give Chelsea a bit more space and try and hurt them on the break …but probably get done by the odd goal.

My heart says lets see if we can give them a game on their patch …..but the pragmatist in me says lets respect the point ….anything else would be fantastic.

We all know that Sam is a pragmatist……so I'll think he'll set us up to be strong defensively …and maybe get something on the break.

He may rest Carroll as I think both Terry and Cahill would prefer to have a battle against the big man…..and judging by Arsenal's poor defending in the air of corners and set pieces yesterday …he'll try and exploit that.

Terry and Cahill are both susceptible to pace…so he may go with Valencia and Sakho up front.

The midfield will have to work hard ….so he'll probably use all 6 of Song, Nolan,Downing, Kouyaté, Amalfitano and Noble at some stage in the game……probably start with Nolan.

A point will be a good result ….let's not think we are Barcelona yet
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

this season resembles 85-86

we did them 4-0 then (one of the best games i have ever been to)......however they didnt have as strong as a team as they do now - 4-1 will do us nicely

:crest:
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

I would like this formation :

.ADRIAN
-Carl Jenkinson-Collins-Mark Noble-Reid-Cresswell-Koyate- Alex Song- Andy Carroll- E Valencia- Nolan-

ATTACK FFS !!!!!!!
Last edited by BondsOfOslo on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

I want to see us park the bus for 93 minutes then pinch one on the break and score with our first shot on target, and then pull up an armchair and watch Mourinho spout b0ll0cks about 18th century football etc
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

They don't scare me.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Everyone needs to slow down predicting we are going to win :lol:

We will get tonked 4 nil
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I see this as the first real indication as to how far we have developed this season... :wink:
BobbyBonehead1875

Post by BobbyBonehead1875 »

Just had a vision of Song sliding in Valencia behind the Chelsea back 4 with a beautiful through ball and slotting past Courtois. I dont think Carroll is the man for this game, but if S & V isn't working we can always have a go. I think the starting 11 will be the same unfortunately.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Adrian
Jenks Reid Tomka Creswell
Noble
Song Kouyate
Downing
Sakho Valencia
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

It will be interesting to see how Song plays against a top side. He may choose to be less expansive...may even pass backward !
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

The biggest concern is the ref siding with Jose right from the off, which will give them the confidence to foul and potentially injure our players.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Collins to start please. Sure,susceptible to some speed merchant running at him, but his aerial dominance is so valuable.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

BobbyBonehead1875 wrote:Just had a vision of Song sliding in Valencia behind the Chelsea back 4 with a beautiful through ball and slotting past Courtois. I dont think Carroll is the man for this game, but if S & V isn't working we can always have a go. I think the starting 11 will be the same unfortunately.
I don't think it will, I think we will play 1 upfront for this one and give Arsenal a go. Allardyce has clearly shown what he sees as the most important games with his press comments over the past week:

Leicester
West Brom
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton (FAC)

I think going on that basis I'd set up like this:

Adrian
Jenkinson Reid Collins Cresswell
Song Noble (if fit - Kouyate if not)
Downing Nolan Amalfitano
Carroll
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

They aren't that big and physical in the middle.

It's funny, the bench players worry me more than the starters. Drogba and Remy.