FAC3: Everton 1-1 West Ham Utd (06/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd (F ACup 3rd Rd): match thread

Post by Sloop John B »

Great to see Martinez is still utilising the Moonwalk* style of management he made famous at Wigan.

*Looks good while slowly moving backwards.

Long may that continue.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

the pink palermo wrote:I enjoyed last nights game , a decent cup tie with an ok attendance for a televised match .

What it confirmed to me more than ever is that Mark Noble is the best footballer at our club and the players to select everyone else around .

We are so much better as a team with him in it than without him it's almost funny .

For my money now, plan A doesn't feature Carroll or the skipper , and as for plan B I would use Morgan in the Nolan role .

Plan A features Valencia and Sakho - neither of whom I am convinced about but I certainly prefer watching them than Carroll .To be clear , I rate Carroll ,but he needs to remodel his game to play facing the opposition goal rather than with his back to it .

But Noble was excellent yesterday .
:thup:

With big massive ****ing bells on
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

vietnammer wrote:Grauniad write up has 8 paragraphs, 6 of them focus on Everton, Martinez and Lukaku
Sure, but they were the 'home side in crisis', who equalised in the last knockings.

Or, should they be added to the cast of global conspirators hell-bent on minimising and mocking our importance to the game? :wink:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Pulls up Trees wrote:A nice accompaniment to the shockingly biased commentary on BT Sport then...
Oh yes. Michael Owen's assessment of Luakaku was almost as if it was the player's agent who had written the script for him. What a Lawro!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

A good cup game, that was.

Looking forward to the replay
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

giantsteps wrote:
£10 says though we'll get beat in the replay
I'll have a bit of that. Loser donates to the Bobby Moore fund?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Why don't you both put a tenner on at the bookies and the winner puts the winnings in the BMF?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Southampton were held at home to Ipswich, Stoke needed a last minute winner against Wrexham,QPR got battered by Sheffield United. I'll take the draw away to a fellow premiership side.

Sidebar, as much as I rate Carroll, we do look better without him. I do wonder whether the players see him as the easy option or whether they're instructed to do so. Downing especially looked back to his best, less pressure On him to get out onto the wing and swing in a cross.

But our improved play may have been down the the returning Noble rather than the absent Carroll.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Billydinho wrote:Why don't you both put a tenner on at the bookies and the winner puts the winnings in the BMF?
Because a draw gets the fund nothing and gets them both, unless they change it to betting on who progresses should the dreaded penalty shootout occur.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

prophet:marginal wrote:
Oh yes. Michael Owen's assessment of Luakaku was almost as if it was the player's agent who had written the script for him. What a Lawro!
:lol: It raised a chuckle in the Rivers household too.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

morganwhu wrote:Tickets go on general sale on Saturday, this only gives them two working days to process and post what could be in excess of 10,000 paper tickets.

Likely to be problematic?
You going? Meet for a beer?
RandomRover

Post by RandomRover »

Michael Owen is an odious little twerp. One of this gems from this game was this for the Lukaka goal that was ruled out for a foul on Cresswell "You could argue that the force of the challenge wasn't enough to knock him down, but you can't put your arm on him"...followed not 1 minute later by criticism of the ref's decision to give a foul against Lukaka as he flung an arm back in Cresswell's face outside the box: "That's not a foul for me. You're allowed to use your arms - it's a contact sport."
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

morganwhu wrote:Tickets go on general sale on Saturday, this only gives them two working days to process and post what could be in excess of 10,000 paper tickets.

Likely to be problematic?
hammerdivone wrote:You going? Meet for a beer?
:thup:

Yes, and yes providing I'm not queuing at the TO for tickets that never arrived.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

morganwhu wrote:Yes, and yes providing I'm not queuing at the TO for tickets that never arrived.
Nice one, will text you.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

I'm impressed by how often Collins is an important player for us in games like this - scored the goal, some good tackles/interceptions, though might have done better for the Lukaku goal [though not primarily his fault]
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Poorest Everton team ive ever seen...and they have had a few over the years

Nobes and Downing were stars, as were Collins and Reid. Should have played with 2 upfront...and invited to much pressure when we went 5 at the back.

I thought we were by far the better team

Hats off to everyone who travelled...I got in at 3.30 after the Motorways being closed in 3 places
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Michael owen is a dick
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:I enjoyed last nights game , a decent cup tie with an ok attendance for a televised match .

What it confirmed to me more than ever is that Mark Noble is the best footballer at our club and the players to select everyone else around .

We are so much better as a team with him in it than without him it's almost funny .

For my money now, plan A doesn't feature Carroll or the skipper , and as for plan B I would use Morgan in the Nolan role .

Plan A features Valencia and Sakho - neither of whom I am convinced about but I certainly prefer watching them than Carroll .To be clear , I rate Carroll ,but he needs to remodel his game to play facing the opposition goal rather than with his back to it .

But Noble was excellent yesterday .
Im defo going to treat you to a new hat fella :)

What time did you get home ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Ticket 2 Ryde wrote:That was a long bloody drive home after that last minute leveller... Played well for 75mins to be honest then the Everton fans decided to turn up and made some noise and bobs your uncle. They were inspired by fat Sam and his negative substitutions... They weren't in the game until the last 15. :thdn:
Totally agree
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Markt85 wrote: Its the nature of the game... 1-0 , 15 to go, Everton had nothing to lose and went for it, happens every week in the Prem for all clubs... if it was us 1-0 down we'd have chucked another striker on and same thing could of happened. its just football.
Given it's the nature of the game, the manager should be ready to counter it.

Everton did not "go for it" by the way. They looked out of ideas until the move of Downing to the wing gave them more space and ball to play with.

The flagging energy of Nolan also gave them more time and space.

Both those issues are not "just football". They are direct tactical issues that a manager is responsible for, whatever the opposition are trying to do.