FAC3: Everton 1-1 West Ham Utd (06/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MS in the West

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd (F ACup 3rd Rd): match thread

Post by MS in the West »

Well I could see the obvious reasons Allardyce had for a more defensive stance with 15 minutes to go. But with the benefit of hindsight it was probably the wrong thing to do
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Bend it like Repka wrote:

Markt85 wrote
"Its the nature of the game... 1-0 , 15 to go, Everton had nothing to lose and went for it, happens every week in the Prem for all clubs... if it was us 1-0 down we'd have chucked another striker on and same thing could of happened. its just football"

Given it's the nature of the game, the manager should be ready to counter it.
Er....isn't that exactly what he did? Anticipating greater attacking momentum from Everton, throwing caution to the wind? Bolstering the defence? You can't have it both ways - that Allardyce should anticipate Everton's greater attacking momentum, but that he was wrong to bolster the defence [even though I personally think he should have retained a more attacking formation - but I'm not making your points].
hxhammer

Post by hxhammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote:After expecting a negative approach to the game last night, I watched the first 70 odd mins with surprise. I was sitting there almost ready to praise Sam because the team were playing great football, their ethos and style was spot on, everything I could ask for.

I would add a caveat that every time Carroll is absent this seems to happen, and I really feel that although he is a very good player, his presence is detrimental to the team’s style of play. So if I was picky I would state that clearly this is not Sam’s first choice approach, because he wouldn’t have made Carroll number 1 choice if he thought so too.

Anyway, back to the point. There I was filling up with positivity about our manager, when lo and behold he starts making substitutions. Talk about reversing the flow of the game, I though Martinez was the one who needed to turn things around. Instead Sam did his job for him.

Valencia for Carlton removed our pace and movement, we became far more static and less of a threat.

Poyet for Jarvis itself was not so bad, but he shifted Downing in the reshuffle and messed up our midfield. Downing has been a revelation in the centre, you NEVER move your best player, our midfield was a shadow of it’s earlier self after that, and not the first time he has done that either.

Obrien for Amalfitano was a shocker. Nolan was knackered, and by then utterly ineffective. Every person bar the manager could see that. Amalfitano had been playing well and still seemed to have plenty of legs, certainly far more than Nolan. It smacks of favouritism.

So we can blame missed chances, which play a part, but ultimately the manager should carry the can for that late equaliser, he got it horribly wrong in the last 20 and handed a poor side bereft of ideas a lifeline they should never have had. He took our foot off their throat in his desire to shut up shop.
Spot on that
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

61dicksey wrote:Thanks LH trying to read this thread with the Nazi bosses patroling the perimiter. :)
WelKUMB to the resistance!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I see the match thread hasn't improved much.

The substitutions and timings weren't great, but at the time werent totally illogical. The benefit of hindsight of course has confirmed them as bad. There is little denying that Allardyce went too defensive too soon, even before Martinez had made his attacking move.

That aside, the reason we lost was not tactics, but because despite the number of defenders on the pitch we contrived to allow Everton's most dangerous attacking player time and space to mis-control and then score from the 6 yard line. Reid charging out of position, Obrien diving into a challenge and noone dropping in to cover the space Lukaku was occupying caused this.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Also the cobblers about only having 400 there...must of been double that.

Still low for us but understandably so.

Does make you wonder why the club "thanks" it's away support with a tenner off Chelsea....with half the people going not being regular away fans...and nothing for this game.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote:
but at the time werent totally illogical.
Sorry Sendo, going to pick you up on this.

Downing and Noble were running that game. I think I can almost use the internet claim of "Fact" in saying that Downing is a far better player for us in the middle rather than wide.

Given the above it was illogical to move him wide. The proof of that is how our midfield performed as a unit in the last 15 mins.

Would Van Gaal move Carrick to the wing? Would Pellergrini move Toure wide? You don't move your most influental players out of key positions to bring on a kid in that place.

Was a plain bad decision then , and after the event.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Haven't read the thread yet as just got back after a heavy night in The Arkle, but prompted to post seeing that stoopid ****ing kid's tweets in The Standard.

Jack Sullivan might well inherit this gaff not long from now and what a frightening prospect that is. I hope Nolan tells his dad a few home truths.

As for the game, I'll post some thoughts later but anyone who doesn't think we surrendered the initiative is being wilfully blind imho.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

The BT Sport coverage of tis was the most biased I've seen in a long time, even one of our ex players started being a mug, what was James on about with Cresswell's crossing? I laid on the sofa ill barely able to move listening to their drivel, everything was about Everton, nothing about what we're doing.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by djbubbles »

Hi. I want to travel over for the replay with my girlfriend. We found a good price for hotel and flights, but tickets for match dont go on general sale until saturday morning. What will ticket demand be like? Will we get match tickets if we book hotel and flights today? If anyone can help id much appreciate it. Thank you.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:Haven't read the thread yet as just got back after a heavy night in The Arkle, but prompted to post seeing that stoopid ****ing kid's tweets in The Standard.

Jack Sullivan might well inherit this gaff not long from now and what a frightening prospect that is. I hope Nolan tells his dad a few home truths.

As for the game, I'll post some thoughts later but anyone who doesn't think we surrendered the initiative is being wilfully blind imho.
It was his 17 year old brother I think.

Both absolute embarrassments if you ask me. Wish their old man would keep them both of social media.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Yes you will be fine. Won't sell out on Saturday
LincolnshireHammer

djbubbles wrote:Hi. I want to travel over for the replay with my girlfriend. We found a good price for hotel and flights, but tickets for match dont go on general sale until saturday morning. What will ticket demand be like? Will we get match tickets if we book hotel and flights today? If anyone can help id much appreciate it. Thank you.
Yes, you'll definitely get tickets mate. :thup:
djbubbles

Post by djbubbles »

Ooh look. Thanks a million.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

djbubbles wrote:Ooh look. Thanks a million.
:thup:
djbubbles

Post by djbubbles »

Thanks lincoln
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:Haven't read the thread yet as just got back after a heavy night in The Arkle, but prompted to post seeing that stoopid ****ing kid's tweets in The Standard.

I don't think it was Jack, but his older brother Dave Sullivan (who is a gooner by the way, so it may explain a few things :wink: )
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

Spot on Bendit
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
It was his 17 year old brother I think.

Both absolute embarrassments if you ask me. Wish their old man would keep them both of social media.
According to The Standard it was Jack.

Surprised there's not a thread on this given what he said.

He's also made an apology saying his tweets in future won't be 'West Ham related remotely'. Don't hold your breath...
LincolnshireHammer

I think there was a thread Doc, however has been locked since.

Whether it was Jack or David Jnr doesn't really matter, but I was on David's twitter earlier and the tweets appear to have come from him. Pretty tastless in his position within the club.