Swansea 1-1 West Ham Utd (10/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Swansea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Romford »

Whufc06 wrote:This is not a complaint about Saturdays game before people jump on it but you cannot simplify games and points that we should've got by the opposition and league position. Everton last week, whilst a good result on paper, was disappointing given how the game panned out. It was definitely a missed opportunity. Same as Swansea. With the players they had out and the fact that we took the lead its gotta be 2 points dropped.
A team wanting to finish in the top 6 should have won both games....

We have the players to be that IMHO.....tactics have cost us. Nobes was a tad unlucky too....but we have defo given away them impetus in both games both they scored.

Wrong to go to a back 5 midweek and wrong to start with one on the Gower peninsular. Just attracted pressure and gave us players in positions that were under utilised.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Personally thought the atomsphere by our lot was quite poor.

Went for a point and we got it, so the management got the result they aimed for.

Personally thought Swansea came out the blocks early but we settled down after a while, it wasn't a bad or good performance really, bit middle of the road.

Adrian needs to get some kicking coaching, constantly all over the place with his kicks.

Thought every player was half decent (ish), Collins and Reid made some great blocks and tackles, Cresswell and Jenkinson put a big shift up and down even in the last few minutes. Nolan made some interceptions in our half. Valencia had a couple of chances to run at the defence on the counter and only did it once, he needs to run at the defence, he has the pace to worry anyone and when he did do it the defence was in trouble as they were backpedalling and we got a corner. Wouldn't of minded us throwing on the final sub last five minutes, even Vaz Te just a bit of freshness.

Swansea looked a bit blunt up top, they will need to replace Bony big time, Sigurssdon was dangerous when he started getting on the ball at times but in all we held on well but I thought we shut up shop a little to early at 1-0 and invited pressure, at Carroll was the only player forward, I mean he can't bring the ball down against two defends and smash it in, even Ronaldo can't.

On a side note people behind us abused Nolan for 90 minutes for no reason, so we argued with them and they eventually shut up, idiots, I don't mind people having views but to constantly slate one of our own players is stupid and half the time he wasn't even doing anything wrong.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Yeah, small margins ant that, Romford.

I thought we should have brought Poyet on for Nolan after 60 away at Everton and would also have brought Vaz Te on instead of O'Brien to give us an outlet, having said that we were 70 seconds and a sh*t Joey decision away from going through so it is always arguable.

I was even more surprised to see us go 5 at the back away at Swansea though. I did wonder if we were going to line up with either Tomkins in midfield or Jenkinson on the right-hand side of the diamond to be honest.

As I've said, I think there's a little bit of 'over-management' going on at the mo and the players confidence has dropped a touch because of it.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Turns to Stone wrote:Yeah, small margins ant that, Romford.

I thought we should have brought Poyet on for Nolan after 60 away at Everton and would also have brought Vaz Te on instead of O'Brien to give us an outlet, having said that we were 70 seconds and a sh*t Joey decision away from going through so it is always arguable.

I was even more surprised to see us go 5 at the back away at Swansea though. I did wonder if we were going to line up with either Tomkins in midfield or Jenkinson on the right-hand side of the diamond to be honest.

As I've said, I think there's a little bit of 'over-management' going on at the mo and the players confidence has dropped a touch because of it.
We should have moved Tomkins up to man mark Sigurdson...there were 3 defenders on one attacker and the bloke sitting in the hole was unmarked and running the show.

I thought Poyet looked a tad lightweight at Everton...but anyone would have been better than Nolan, the game just passed him by sadly. His legs cannot pay the cheques his brain is writing out...

We are short of a defensive midfielder.....and changing to a 5 at the rear when our nerve goes.

History this season says we need two goals as we cannot keep clean sheets....and the management are thinking its easier to shut up shop than go for the goal.

Not in my eyes....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

fmgod wrote:On a side note people behind us abused Nolan for 90 minutes for no reason.
That people would spend good money and travel hundreds of miles to do just that (or hold up a banner saying 'Fat Sam Out', for that matter) - says a lot about some of the people that follows West Ham these days.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote: That people would spend good money and travel hundreds of miles to do just that (or hold up a banner saying 'Fat Sam Out', for that matter) - says a lot about some of the people that follows West Ham these days.
I never heard a bad thing about Nolan all game.....but i would agree that what peoples feelings are that travel are usually much different to those spoke by many on here.

I personally think that sadly says a lot about our members...
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Romford wrote:
We are short of a defensive midfielder.....and changing to a 5 at the rear when our nerve goes.

History this season says we need two goals as we cannot keep clean sheets....and the management are thinking its easier to shut up shop than go for the goal.

Not in my eyes....
I agree. I'm hoping that's where the Zarate money might be spent.

As for the cleansheets, it's frustrating as I think we are still creating good chances, just not taking them. I'm looking forward to seeing when Noble and Song are back in tandem though. I think it will make a difference.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Romford wrote:I never heard a bad thing about Nolan all game.....but i would agree that what peoples feelings are that travel are usually much different to those spoke by many on here.
Unfortunately the Nolan/manager bashers are just as prevalent here.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Unfortunately the Nolan/manager bashers are just as prevalent here.
They seem more prevalent on here than in the stadiums, or maybe I just can't hear the pillocks.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Turns to Stone wrote:

Yes, agree with that. A lot.
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

Romford wrote: I never heard a bad thing about Nolan all game.....but i would agree that what peoples feelings are that travel are usually much different to those spoke by many on here.

There was a guy in front of me screaming all sorts of obscenities pretty much from the get go, quite amusing the first couple of times, but ultimately annoying and unnecessary, but he paid his money so it's his choice
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

There are quite a few people talking about "over-achivement." It's not a phrase I like much because it's trotted out too easily when a side is doing better than the writer expected -- almost as a way of excusing their mis-predicting how that side would do, perhaps because that is preferable to admitting we got it wrong. But also (perhaps in our case) as a way of protecting against a drop in form -- the old "something's bound to go wrong sooner or later -- don't wish for too much you'll just end up being disappointed!" way of thinking so familar to we West Ham fans!
For example, throughout last season many people were describing Liverpool as overachieving, they carried on doing it almost right until the end of the season. Now I'm not being holier than thou, because there was no way on God's Earth I thought they would do so well. But come May last year, all of us who thought that way were quite simply proved wrong.
I've also disliked the way so many journos, pundits, folk like us in forums, have consistently talked about Southampton, insinuating they were too high, it was just a lucky run, they've only played crap sides etc. Pretty much the definition of "over-achieving." After more than half a season, are they still over-achieving?

I guess what I'm blathering on about is that if one achieves something, it's a bit rich for somebody else to say "you were lucky there, you don't really deserve that." Isn't that what we are doing if we describe our team as over-achieving? Perhaps I'm simply not being objective enough, but I think it's quite objective to say that after half the season we are RIGHTLY above Liverpool, Swansea, Newcastle and Stoke; we are above them because we have played better than them. Yet I see not a few people predicting that we will finish the season behind some or all of them. Well all I can say to that is, if we do than we will have surely UNDER-achieved over the next 4 months.
Last edited by bullyhammer on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Pulls up Trees wrote: That's very harsh mate. Especially as the officials have new rules to treat head injuries much more seriously.

I'd say it was more unprofessional of the rest of the team for not picking up one of Swansea's biggest players when they knew Collins was off.
The physio was literally on for a few seconds, the magic spounge seemed to do the job as Collins walked off the pitch and round to the side. Judging by a few of his team mates reaction when he re-entered the field of play, they werent that impressed either.

They all know the rules, he wasnt properly injured - just get on with or man-up, see the set piece out and then get medical attention. Surrendered a man at the set piece and it was costly.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Enjoyed Saturday, but again it was tinged with disappointment.

Winning away from home you're always going to get the kitchen sink thrown at you, it's not the dropping deep that's costing us it's our inability to hold onto the ball. Once in possession we seem to be instantly looking for the ball to open them up and end up giving the ball away.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Nolan got subbed, turned around to applaud our fans and there was a group of 10-20 in front of me in the lower part of the stand that cheered when he got substituted and continued to swear/abuse him whilst we walked off the pitch and applauded the fans again. Bunch of c*cks if you ask me, not regulars either.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Up the Junction wrote: That people would spend good money and travel hundreds of miles to do just that (or hold up a banner saying 'Fat Sam Out', for that matter) - says a lot about some of the people that follows West Ham these days.
Romford wrote: I never heard a bad thing about Nolan all game.....but i would agree that what peoples feelings are that travel are usually much different to those spoke by many on here.

I never heard anything bad about Nolan either - maybe one shout when he misplaced a pass horribly .

That might be due to the fact in my area we are all so old just staying alive is our top priority, Saturday we had me with a dodgy back, Dan with dodgy knees, Geoff with a sore foot, and Eddie down the end of the row holding a mirror over Colin's mouth every ten minutes to make sure he was still breathing .

Average age about 55 I reckon .

And still living the dream .
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Watched the players get off the coach at the ground.
My daughter was stunned at the comment from a "hammers fan" in front of us ,as the first player got off -Winston Reid- "fuckoff back to New Zealand you twat"!
He shouted his appreciation to Mark and Tommo mind.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

I get to one game a season and end up on MOTD!

cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Get your hair sorted Kevin :wink:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

I take it that is you second row, far right Kev?

Pinky just in front of you with the claret baseball cap? ;)