Swansea 1-1 West Ham Utd (10/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: Swansea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by hammer1975 »

Why do people keep saying that no one was marking Gomis? Nolan was, just backed off too deep and got out jumped.

Collins may well have done better but wrong to say no one was marking
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Of course I know AC's nothing like Bergkamp :lol:

I was just pointing out that this particular goal, the control on chest and head, followed by quick feet to make space and an excellent shot, reminded me of him.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

hammer1975 wrote:Why do people keep saying that no one was marking Gomis? Nolan was, just backed off too deep and got out jumped.

You, sir, clearly have an anti-Nolan agenda.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Billydinho wrote:You, sir, clearly have an anti-Nolan agenda.
He may have, but on this occassion, he's right. I mentioned it on the previous page. Nolan dropped off Gomis and allowed him a free run in. He didn't even jump to try and put him off. And then he looked around pointing, as if to blame someone else

Go and watch a replay and you'll see. Noble still should have stopped it on the line anyway.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

hammer1975 wrote:Why do people keep saying that no one was marking Gomis? Nolan was, just backed off too deep and got out jumped.

It was Reid.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Billydinho wrote:
Jesus, let's not get carried away gents. Good goal but not likely to be making any DVDs.
Absolutely disagree. Even accounting for the defending, Carroll was facing the wrong way, and the speed of his footwork and finish were terrific. If Messi has scored that we'd all be saying "Ah but that's Messi - that's what he does". But this is a 6 foot 4 inch striker who some on here think is a carthorse - it's amazing considering his size. On MoTD Danny Murphy remarked on the surprising speed of his footwork
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

I thought it was the kind of goal that Van Persie would score, and if he had we'd be hearing about it forever. Big Andy reminds me of Bambi on Ice at times, but you have to give him credit for that piece of skill. I also respect him for his running back and defensive work.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I thought at the time where are the centre halves. We still had two on the pitch.
Gomis was their main striker. Surely one of them should have been covering his run.
Nolan just covers that area as he normally does.Gomis had the advantage of a free run at the ball.
Just like the Chelsea goal we defended poorly as a unit.
Same as Everton last Tuesday.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I thought at the time where are the centre halves. We still had two on the pitch.
Gomis was their main striker. Surely one of them should have been covering his run.
Nolan just covers that area as he normally does.Gomis had the advantage of a free run at the ball.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

It was Nolan but you have to question why it was him marking Gomis.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hockley Hammer wrote:I thought at the time where are the centre halves. We still had two on the pitch.
Lets be honest, if Nolan, or JoB, or Reid, or whoever isn't popular at the moment had made as much of a meal of it as Noble did on his post then we wouldn't have heard the end of it. None of them were born in Canning Town though
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I don't see anyone at all marking hime there. I might be being a bit harsh, but I'm not sure why Carroll didn't make an attempt to head the ball away. At the very least an attempt would have made it harder for the striker. Instead he ends up looking uncertain and backing off presumably in the hope of blocking on the line if need be. Excellent corner though.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:I don't see anyone at all marking hime there. I might be being a bit harsh, but I'm not sure why Carroll didn't make an attempt to head the ball away. At the very least an attempt would have made it harder for the striker. Instead he ends up looking uncertain and backing off presumably in the hope of blocking on the line if need be. Excellent corner though.
Fine margins, but Nobes guarding that post, really should have kept it out. Gomis's header actually hit the post and the ball rebounded onto Nobes's leg and somehow it squeezed in
badgers1

Post by badgers1 »

Hockley Hammer wrote:I think the reason Sam is happy to protect a goal lead is simply that more often than not that may be enough to win the game.
If only it was the case that we saw games out. Since coming back up again we've had 20 one goal leads, 10 of which we've held onto. The other 10 we've been pegged back to 8 draws & 2 defeats, 6 of these in the last 15 minutes of games. We've also lost four from drawing positions in the last 15 minutes of games alone.

The only times in the last two & a half seasons where we've scored in the last 15 minutes to change the outcome of a game have been Sunderland & Chelsea at home two years ago & Spurs away in the League Cup last season.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Fine margins, but Nobes guarding that post, really should have kept it out. Gomis's header actually hit the post and the ball rebounded onto Nobes's leg and somehow it squeezed in
Fine margins indeed Puff. I know Nobes is getting a bit of stick but it was a fine, strong header. I know it was his job to protect that post but it isn't as easy as that. Like I said before I'm probably being too harsh on AC. It was a terrific corner that I think probably caught AC in two minds.

All in all it wasn't dissimilar to AC's second against Swansea last month. Like then a good header of a ball was pretty much given a free run to attack a good delivery..
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

No anti nolan agenda there , he's correct
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Fine margins indeed Puff. I know Nobes is getting a bit of stick but it was a fine, strong header. I know it was his job to protect that post but it isn't as easy as that. Like I said before I'm probably being too harsh on AC. It was a terrific corner that I think probably caught AC in two minds.
It looked to me that he got caught out a bit by the bounce / rebound, and instinctively tried to make sure he didn't handle on the line above anything else.

A red card and a penalty would have been far worse.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

carnage wrote: It was Nolan but you have to question why it was him marking Gomis.
The crucial part of the mistake is not shown on that clip .
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Carroll's goal was top drawer, no doubt about it.

I was pretty gobsmacked tbf because I didn't think he had those type of goals in his locker.

If he scores a few more like that he'll be back in my good books before you can say "howay the f**king lads like man"