Swansea 1-1 West Ham Utd (10/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Re: Swansea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by carnage »

One of the main reasons we keep giving away leads, particularly away from home is our inability to keep a clean sheet. Not one away from home all season.

We are too open, something that was mentioned back in August.
BoB_On
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by BoB_On »

Southampton just did what we tried to do, funny that
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view ... Swansea City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128141
carnage

Post by carnage »

BoB_On wrote:Southampton just did what we tried to do, funny that

Jose tried to do it at OT as well, but failed.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We're only conceding just over a goal a game, which is consistent with our league position.

We have started to give up goals on set plays on the road. Three in the last four league games + an iffy penalty.
bwbazza

Post by bwbazza »

carnage wrote:One of the main reasons we keep giving away leads, particularly away from home is our inability to keep a clean sheet. Not one away from home all season.

We are too open, something that was mentioned back in August.
We have only lost 3 away games - and 2 of them were to wrong offside decisions.
Only Chelsea and Man City have scored more than us away.

I thought that was what we wanted???
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Agree. I don't think we are failing to keep clean sheets away from home because we are too open (maybe you could argue earlier in the season, but not now)
we are failing to keep clean sheets away from home because we are not defending properly and are giving stupid goals away from set pieces or by making bad decisions and mistakes
carnage

Post by carnage »

bwbazza wrote: I thought that was what we wanted???
It is, until results are affected.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:we are failing to keep clean sheets away from home because we are not defending properly and are giving stupid goals away from set pieces or by making bad decisions and mistakes
Sunderland. Dodgy penalty. Yesterday. They scored when Collins' was receiving treatment.

That suggests bad luck/bad decisions rather than mistakes may have played a greater role recently (that's just the first two off the top of my head).
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

ok, but the argument that it is not because we are too open still stands

there were a couple of games back in September and October where you could argue we were too open at times and it was great to watch, and it seemed to work (even if we did get lucky on occasions)

I don't think we have been particularly open or gung-ho away from home (or at home for that matter) since then - certainly no more open than other teams outside of the relegation scrap (from what i have seen of them)
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I honestly think we'd have beaten both Everton and Swansea if we carried on playing like we wanted a second, and not like we wanted to hold out for a 1-0. I really don't like it when we play too deep and invite attack after attack. Defensively, we're only good enough to hold out for so long before the opposition inevitably score.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Earlier in the year, we were scoring a goal and frequently getting a second one not that long after.

The second goal has started to disappear.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

After reading the opposition view I feel like a bit of a whinger for yesterday's reaction. Think I've been a bit spoiled this season.
carnage

Post by carnage »

ryanrc wrote:After reading the opposition view I feel like a bit of a whinger for yesterday's reaction. Think I've been a bit spoiled this season.
And here endeth the lesson.
poshhammer

Post by poshhammer »

On a different subject, before and after the game yesterday, me and the other four Hammers fans I went with drank and ate in the Landore Social Club. We had a great time with a really friendly bunch of Swansea fans. The club is open to visiting fans and you can park your car for £4. It's only a five minute walk from the ground too. I would highly recommend it to anyone going to the Liberty Stadium next season
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I don't think we have been particularly open or gung-ho away from home (or at home for that matter) since then...
Agree with that, Crouchy. Further, the likes of Hull/West Brom away were very similar games to yesterday - and that was a while back now.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I honestly think we'd have beaten both Everton and Swansea if we carried on playing like we wanted a second, and not like we wanted to hold out for a 1-0. I really don't like it when we play too deep and invite attack after attack. Defensively, we're only good enough to hold out for so long before the opposition inevitably score.
Agreed. You could absolutely see that coming yesterday and in previous games also. Then Sam's lament after is...Yes I'm terribly disappointed the lads worked hard and we deserved to win, "We were unlucky". Blah Blah Blah...
No we weren't....we invited it!!
We are pretty good defensively, I don't believe that's the problem. No team can afford to sit back and let the other team come at them.... if you do, the momentum of the game changes and you put the other team on the front foot. It's not rocket science.
We are not playing to our strengths. We are a good scoring team now, but unfortunately, Sam cannot depart from his "Play it safe" habits and therein lies our downfall.
Moral of the story....best form of defence is offence. Doesn't mean we need to expose ourselves at the back but just don't sit back and invite trouble. Until that changes, we can expect to give away more 1 goal leads.

To end on a more positive note..... Yes I am happy with the season so far, don't get me wrong, but when will we start believing in ourselves and not give the other teams too much respect. (Look at Southampton today) Good on them!!!!
:crest:
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I honestly think we'd have beaten both Everton and Swansea if we carried on playing like we wanted a second, and not like we wanted to hold out for a 1-0. I really don't like it when we play too deep and invite attack after attack. Defensively, we're only good enough to hold out for so long before the opposition inevitably score.
Everton's winner was down to us committing men forward and getting hit on the counter
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

We_are_BML wrote:
Everton's winner was down to us committing men forward and getting hit on the counter
Boom! There endeth the discussion.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »