West Ham Utd 3-0 Hull City (18/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by e17 »

I thought Trevor Sinclair might have had a point on MOTD2 last night when he said he reckoned there was a bit of a good old fashioned bollocking at half time as we appeared to think it was just Hull & we'd cruise to a result
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It didn't work and we were lucky to come in HT level, he admits that and changed it
He admits we were lucky to come in 0-0, and that he changed it. But as always with Allardyce there is never the clear, unambiguous acceptance or admission that he got it wrong. He would never say (for example in this case) "i made a mistake in the first half, and changed it" or "i admit i got it wrong, but at half time we changed it round"

I think this is one reason why a lot of people will just never like him and therefore be overly negative when he does make mistakes
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

e17 wrote:I thought Trevor Sinclair might have had a point on MOTD2 last night when he said he reckoned there was a bit of a good old fashioned bollocking at half time as we appeared to think it was just Hull & we'd cruise to a result
He then let himself down but suggesting Aluko should have used his skill of winning a penalty and thrown himself to the ground.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I don't feel he needs to say that Crouch, the fact he had to change it is an admission of that I feel.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:He admits we were lucky to come in 0-0, and that he changed it. But as always with Allardyce there is never the clear, unambiguous acceptance or admission that he got it wrong. He would never say (for example in this case) "i made a mistake in the first half, and changed it" or "i admit i got it wrong, but at half time we changed it round"

I think this is one reason why a lot of people will just never like him and therefore be overly negative when he does make mistakes
With semantics like that it's no wonder these threads turn out like they do :lol:
miles
This site...
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by miles »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:But as always with Allardyce there is never the clear, unambiguous acceptance or admission that he got it wrong. He would never say (for example in this case) "i made a mistake in the first half, and changed it" or "i admit i got it wrong, but at half time we changed it round"

Cast iron self-belief is almost always misconstrued as arrogance by folks that don't like you. Having said that, I draw the line at ear cupping. :D
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3487 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

e17 wrote:I thought Trevor Sinclair might have had a point on MOTD2 last night...
I loved Trevor Sinclair as a player and he was fantastic as a guest on a recent KUMB West Ham Podcast. His punditry is distinctly Sunday league standard, though.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fair enough - point taken from all of the three posters above
i just feel that he never ever ever takes personal responsibility for anything that goes wrong. maybe just once a season would work!
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Be fair, the thought process behind the first half line-up was baffling.

I don't think there a single person on here who was calling for the formation that Sam chose in the first half.

We know it wasn't for rotation purposes since 10 of the 11 were backing up from Tuesday. But the more confusing aspect is why he'd decide to change many of the things that have worked so well this season in order to combat the virtual second-XI of a side in the relegation zone. Why would he think we needed to change formation to counter what they had? It's either a strange lack of confidence, or overthinking things. Very strange
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

In the cut-throat world of Premier League management you would be hard pressed to find any manager that publicly states words to that effect. Even when Downing was asked post match directly, whether his move to a more central position created the turnaround in fortunes, he replied that he didn't think so and it had more to do with the quicker movement of the ball. Just like Downing wouldn't blow his own trumpet in saying that was the case, Sam wouldn't say that he got it wrong.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm inclined to agree that quicker, more purposeful use of the ball was a highly significant factor.

Some of that is down to intent, and some of that is driven by the attitude and talent of individual players.
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

bubbles1966 wrote:I'm inclined to agree that quicker, more purposeful use of the ball was a highly significant factor.

Some of that is down to intent, and some of that is driven by the attitude and talent of individual players.
Downing also stated in that post match interview alongside Carroll that Sam identified that our movement of the ball was slow. I guess the bollocking they got polarised the team.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Admittedly it was against nothing, but Reid was imperious when he came on yesterday. After being given the run around it might be time to rest Tomkins for Bristol. It's great to have three great defenders at the moment who can come in for each other without anyone noticing.

I don't think anyone knows who our best back two is at the moment.
badgermax
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by badgermax »

I had a surreal match day experience yesterday. My wife and I forgot we were middle aged on Saturday night so with no sleep and the class A equivalent of a hangover I took two kids to the game, one on crutches.
Internally I felt awful, externally pretending to be a responsible adult with two kids in tow. All the while watching the game intently but in a dream like state. All i remember is that we forgot how to play football in the first half, and not until after the 2nd goal noticing that we were playing with a bit of swagger. Wasn't till I got home and read this thread that I realised how little of the game I took in. So I guess a big thank you is in order for all those who filled in the gaps for me by bothering to post match reports and analysis.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

On the subject of Surreal experiences yesterday

I had a pretty strange last 20 minutes after Stewie's goal

I was staring at the 16/1 I had dabbled at for a 3-1 win , I mean we don't do clean sheets , do we ?
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: i just feel that he never ever ever takes personal responsibility for anything that goes wrong. maybe just once a season would work!
Crouchy. In his Evening Standard column last season he mentioned several times that results are ultimately his responsibility and he knows it.
Personally I don't think he's a genius when we win a game any more than he is a moron when we lose a game. He's a competent Premier League manager and I'm happy to hear his explanation of a game/performance/result. I don't feel the need to him to go deeper than that personally. I haven't with any other manager, so why him? I find him pretty forthright and honest in his assessments. His article on Friday talking about last season's game with Hull was as honest as you can be.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

JLCABA wrote:On the subject of Surreal experiences yesterday

I had a pretty strange last 20 minutes after Stewie's goal

I was staring at the 16/1 I had dabbled at for a 3-1 win , I mean we don't do clean sheets , do we ?
Just to make this even worse for you, I had £2.50 on Carroll FGS and West Ham to win 3-0. A lovely £125 win. I have never wanted West Ham not to score so much in all my life!!
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Thanks for that :lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3487 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Hull City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128164

Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

They're essentially us last year aren't they? Good first season after promotion, tough second season largely due to horrendous injury list. Theirs might be even worse than ours last year if anything.

Hope they stay up though, I don't mind 'ull