West Ham Utd 3-0 Hull City (18/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by Albie Beck »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:But as always with Allardyce there is never the clear, unambiguous acceptance or admission that he got it wrong. He would never say (for example in this case) "i made a mistake in the first half, and changed it" or "i admit i got it wrong, but at half time we changed it round"

I think this is one reason why a lot of people will just never like him and therefore be overly negative when he does make mistakes
I'll have to re-lete it and watch it again, but I thought that in his post-match comments he said just that - that he got it wrong in the first half, that he tried to change it but that it's difficult to make big changes in-play so he had to wait till half time. Has he got to apologise and ask forgiveness too?
Lilyhammer

Post by Lilyhammer »

Crap 1st half, much better 2nd half. 3-0 home win time to move on.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Romford wrote:
I must of been watching another game fella...I felt we totally lacked width in the first and it was only Downing who popped out there a few times to see more of the ball.

Song and Carroll were defo too far forward too and Sam was right to exchange Song and Nobes positions at half time and push Nolan a bit deeper.

At no time did i see Carroll alone up top.

I will tell you when i watch the game tomo....
I don't completely disagree, but it is probably to me just that we were playing so badly we didn't keep the ball long enough to really exert any influence up top and see Carroll and Valencia playing close enough together. And also the full backs were getting pinned back a bit more and they are always our best form of width.

As likely as anything the shape is only looking much better in the second half cos the players were keeping the ball. Formations generally don't matter if you're playing crap on the ball anyway
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Lilyhammer wrote: time to move on.
...agreed!
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

I was very disappointed that no one picked up my comments about Hull's CB and, for a few minutes, makeshift CF, Harry Maguire yesterday. I like to think that the comments just got overlooked in all the kerfuffle over who was being disrespectful to whom :D .

Anyway, I will repeat them just to see if anyone bites this time.

To recap, I was saying that I cannot remember having ever seen a less likely looking professional footballer. I was trying to think who he reminded me of and it finally came to me last night.

Anyway, even if no one on here responded, when I got into work today, I spoke to the other West Ham ST holder and he agreed with me. He even said that he had spotted him warming up at half-time and genuinely thought that he was one of the backroom staff as he couldn't even run or move properly!

Then, without me prompting him at all, he said that he had told his son that he reminded him of ... the Honey Monster, which was exactly what I had thought.

Apologies for going on but I just can't get over how immobile he was and, to cap it all, I googled him tonight only to find out that he is a product of the youth system at - Sheff Utd! Nuff said, I think.

Surely, someone else must have noticed him too?

Let's just pray that the days have passed when we would trounce a Northern team like we did yesterday and then sign their centre half a few weeks later.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Sir_Trevor wrote: Anyway, I will repeat them just to see if anyone bites this time.

Surely, someone else must have noticed him too?
The big number 12 with the yellow boots right?

You're going to laugh at this, but I thought he was alright! It was even commented on during the game.

Ginge took Chester out, Bruce went off and Davies (1st goal) and Dawson (backpass) collapsed in the second half. Thought the young bloke did quite well stepping in and he's got some pace - there was even talk of playing him up front.

Funny how different people see the opposite things at the same game. Good, makes for a more interesting world.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

How could anyone fail to notice him? I said to my mate at the game that it was nice to see a footballer who made Kev look like twiggy
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Kialos wrote: I said to my mate at the game that it was nice to see a footballer who made Kev look like twiggy
He almost made Sam look like ****ing Twiggy...
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: He admits we were lucky to come in 0-0, and that he changed it. But as always with Allardyce there is never the clear, unambiguous acceptance or admission that he got it wrong.
To be fair to Allardyce Crouchy...............Very few managers would have said anything different.

They would nearly all focus on the positive change, rather than the initial tactics/team selections that wasn't working.

It's what they all tend to do.