FAC5: West Bromwich Albion 4-0 West Ham Utd (14/02/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ryanrc

Re: West Bromwich Albion v West Ham Utd (FA Cup): match thread

Post by ryanrc »

Gep wrote:I can take a couple of players underperforming on match day but when it's 80%, well......you're simply pissing against the wind ain't ya.
Haven't West Brom had pretty similar fixtures to us? The lethargy talk is a load of waffle.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Looking at the highlights again, I think W Brom were really lucky . I know we played poorly but their first goal was clearly offside. Morrison was lucky that the tackle from Noble still bobbled enough between his feet to have a shot . The third goal was 2 lucky deflections, the cross deflected high off Creswell's ankle over all our defenders and happened to land exactly where their forward was, then his header got deflected by Kayoute, otherwise an easy catch for Adrian. The 4th goal was just basic bad goalkeeping mistake by Adrian (twice he's let in goals at the near post) so that was a valid goal. Sakho's header just hit Fosters ankle enough to slow it down for their defender to clear it. Lucky again that their player didn't get a red card for a 2 footed challenge. Because my 'glass is usually half empty' , I've decided its going be half-full with these comments , so I'll just ignore our own lucky moments. :)
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

The players should be ashamed of themselves. Pathetic
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

wizzo_66 wrote:Definitely one of those days.

I'm struggling with tactics though.

We were second to everything. Looked knackered.

Sam should have rotated but he'd have been slaughtered for not taking the game seriously.
Someone either informed out players to play long into our forwards or did nothing to stop it.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

It comes down to attitude of the players and manager. If Sakho had scored that header (our only chance) after about 60 minutes I think we'd have suddenly started playing and made a game of it.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Humbug wrote:Looking at the highlights again, I think W Brom were really lucky . I know we played poorly but their first goal was clearly offside. Morrison was lucky that the tackle from Noble still bobbled enough between his feet to have a shot . The third goal was 2 lucky deflections, the cross deflected high off Creswell's ankle over all our defenders and happened to land exactly where their forward was, then his header got deflected by Kayoute, otherwise an easy catch for Adrian. The 4th goal was just basic bad goalkeeping mistake by Adrian (twice he's let in goals at the near post) so that was a valid goal. Sakho's header just hit Fosters ankle enough to slow it down for their defender to clear it. Lucky again that their player didn't get a red card for a 2 footed challenge. Because my 'glass is usually half empty' , I've decided its going be half-full with these comments , so I'll just ignore our own lucky moments. :)
You're not so much 'half full' as on your 8th pint.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Refs fault....No

Sams Fault....No

Fans Fault....No

Players fault.....Yes

We would have lost against anyone yesterday...sadly.

Worst performance of the season in our biggest game....fortunes always hiding :crest:
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Romford wrote:Refs fault....No

Sams Fault....No

Fans Fault....No

Players fault.....Yes

Worst performance of the season in our biggest game....fortunes always hiding :crest:
From what I've read on here regarding your feelings for Sam, that is some statement.

Fair play to you, not letting your 'issues' with BFS cloud your opinion
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

wolf359 wrote:
From what I've read on here regarding your feelings for Sam, that is some statement.

Fair play to you, not letting your 'issues' with BFS cloud your opinion
They never do....thats just something people try to say when defending the manager and they don't have a decent argument.

I'd be a very stupid and sad person going to every game hoping for the manager to balls up so we could get rid....

Onward and upwards Chaps...or this will be a huge waste of a very talented group of players.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Romford wrote:Onward and upwards Chaps...or this will be a huge waste of a very talented group of players.
The aftermath will be a shockingly big result in North London mate :wink: you watch
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Sam should have rotated but he'd have been slaughtered for not taking the game seriously.
No he wouldn't. He could have put either Demel/Obrien as one defensive change, Amalfitano as one midfield change and cole as one forward change.

Not too drastic, still a strong team.
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

simon1982 wrote:I moaned on leaving the ground once Morgan was sent off but you come to realise that footbAll is just a hobby! Especially after hearing About the 2 awful accidents. Yes we were toilet and for me that's where it ends. Onto spurs and hopefully a decent result.
Rip to the families involved this morning.
Apart from the fact I left straight after the 3rd went in, my sentiments too.

RIP :crest:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: .............................................

The main problem I have with Pulis is his utter ruthlessness to win, which has no barriers. Some might say that's as good thing but when it's on the verge of going a against fairness, e.g. holding back at corners, stepping on players feet etc, it crosses the line for me. Basically his ethics to win.
I assume you've seen Kevin Nolan at corners?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Sams Fault....No

Fans Fault....No

Players fault.....Yes

Never a truer word said about yesterday's showing.

The players never turned up. A truly dismal performance. As said our worst by far of the season, for my money out worst display since Southampton at home.

No urgency, no cohesion, no incision, no intelligence and very very sadly no passion.

Am I gutted? Yes of course. But looking at the bigger picture for us to go this long during a season to turn in a showing like this is a minor miracle. Doesn't take the pain away, but it seems the 'West Ham way' of capitulating at will 4 or 5 times a season, no matter who the opposition is, is at least being eradicated to just once or twice.

I'm more than willing to accept there may have been tired legs in defence. But the tired legs, minds & attitudes of our midfield I'm not. Song was shockingly poor again yesterday. Noble worse. I thought compared to those 2 the skipper put in a tidy performance.

We've been through this before, we'll no doubt go through it again. It's what we do. Doesn't make it any easier but it's a fact
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:The 'boo boys' would be out in force if he was West Ham Boss + lost three games on the trot.
:lol:

You panned Curbs for grinding out 1-0's!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

wolf359 wrote:....fortunes always hiding :crest:
Spot on ..... COYI
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Question ... what is worse, our performance against a fellow perm side or Sunderland's comprehensive beating to a league one side..

Sunderland is worse for me, Bradford took them to the cleaners.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Appears that the 3 people who died in the accident weren't West Ham fans going to the game...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-31477896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Stoke's and Sunderland's results were undoubtedly worse than ours but cannot make anything better about yesterday's shambles.
thewhirlwind
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by thewhirlwind »

Sams Fault....No

Fans Fault....No

Players fault.....Yes

We were pretty poor at Bristol...but it gets overlooked as we somehow managed to sneak a win