Liverpool 2-0 West Ham Utd (31/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by brownout »

I thought our support was unusual yesterday. Not as loud or as witty as we usually are at Liverpool. A couple of relics from the 70s near me. One shouting racist abuse at Liverpool player who was injured early on and another giving Noble all sorts of abuse because he didn't wave while warming up.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Talking of support, how quiet were the Liverpool fans, especially their famous Kop.

The clowns next to us were mostly sitting on their hands until 2-0 when they broke out of their comas with the witty and inventive Lih-veh-pewl...Lih-veh-pewl...

Henderson won't have an easier chance to do his 'poor man's Stevie G' impression all season.

Markovitch is a cheating slag.

Sturridge's celebration is crap - even worse than the chicken dance (if you can remember it). :wink:

Apart from that, another cracking weekend.

Here are the highlights...

AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:
West Ham aren't the right wing fanbase people want to paint us as...
Dont you think Youre sounding like a victim with that comment NBA.......?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Liverpool ST holder as I came in to work this morning "I can see why your lot hate Nolan. All he does is try and foul the keeper"
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Big George wrote:I agree with this, https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... witterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always the victim is not about Hillsborough, it is a generic song that points that the fact that scousers are never to blame for anything.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Always the victim is not about Hillsborough, it is a generic song that points that the fact that scousers are never to blame for anything.
mebbe, but the anti-Semitic stuff in the bar less easy to explain away.

I've had plenty of chats about this over the years so I'm not going to bang on. I just wanted to share the article.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Another oh so typical thing of West Ham was the winding up of Sturridge as he was warming up on the touch line. How many times over the years have we wound opposition players up for them to come on and score? It was inevitable.

I said to my mate, he's the type of player who'll just feed of it, and he did. Running up and down the touch-line encouraging us to give it some more. It was embarrassing.

Also, how pis*ed off did Noble look as he was warming up?
Last edited by giantsteps on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

giantsteps wrote:
Also, how piss*d off did Noble look as he was warming up?
very, and I thought he had a bit of a sulk when he came on
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Mark is currently showing "anti Nolan" feelings.

I guess as the main sufferer of the apparent perma pick policy, he's entitled.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Has Noble deserved a start after his recent performances though?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

No more or less than Nolan & Song for me
Faliraki Hammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faliraki Hammer »

I dont get to go to that many aways, maybe 3 or 4 a year and it was my first trip to Anfield. I have to say that I thought our support was quiet on Saturday. Me and my mates were having a good sing and a few people around us seemed to be annoyed. I dont understand it myself, why travel all that way to not get behind your team?

As for the Liverpool fans, what on earth? I expected it to have a bit of atmosphere but it was actually like a library!
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

e17 wrote:No more or less than Nolan & Song for me
Then can't you understand Sam's decision not to play Noble then?

Song (our best midfielder)
Nolan (our captain)
Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes »

What a let down Saturday was. I really thought we'd get stuck into what is a poor Liverpool side. There was nothing but a collective bottle job. We can single this or that player out but it was all of them. It looked as though it was us that had lost a cup semi final after 120 mins during the week.

As a side note, the Mickeys in the pub were top drawer, prob the best I have come across. Everyone always very quick to put them down, me included but the welcome we received on Sat has gone a long way towards changing my oppinion of them.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Then can't you understand Sam's decision not to play Noble then?

Nolan (our captain)
Not really, purely because evidence over the last 5-6 games suggests to me that Sam has fallen back into the mistake of going on what will equate to the least likely to lose us games & to shoehorn the captain in no matter what, rather than the formation & options that had us firing on all cylinders at the start of the season. At least in midfield.

& I will put the disclaimer in: I'm not anti-Nolan, I just haven't seen the fella have an outstanding performance for us this season that for me would warrant his starting over Noble (after a couple of likewise lacklustre game) or to have him start in Downing's position. I genuinely wonder if it's a massive massive two fingers at Sullivan a lot of the time.

We looked better to me when Nobes came on yesterday, that is for sure.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Then can't you understand Sam's decision not to play Noble then?

Nolan (our captain)
Not really as no one has ever really been able to tell me what Kevin Nolan contributes when he has these "OK", "decent", "great" games.

I've heard several interceptions, completing five passes, only being just offside from a flick on, having a shot blocked.

Any more strings to his bow? Surely he can't offer any more than those great attributes?

At least Mark Noble is involved, distributes it well and shows for the ball.

Our team bypass giving Nolan the ball now, because even they realise he's sh*t.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Then can't you understand Sam's decision not to play Noble then?

Nolan (our captain)
Putting indifferent form comparisons aside......

I could understand picking Nolan if it's for his goal threat
For any other CM attribute, I can't understand picking Nolan over Noble (I assumed Nobes must have been carrying a knock when I saw the line up.....)
libero
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Don't think there's much difference these days between Noble & Nolan in terms of goal threat - unfortunately
De Niro
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by De Niro »

brownout wrote:I thought our support was unusual yesterday. Not as loud or as witty as we usually are at Liverpool. A couple of relics from the 70s near me. One shouting racist abuse at Liverpool player who was injured early on and another giving Noble all sorts of abuse because he didn't wave while warming up.
Think I may have been sat next to you brownout; heard the abuse thrown at Emre Can by the one bloke. Also wondered what the lads to the right of us kept walking off to the concourse for :eh:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

JOEY O'BRIEN
FROM THE DRESSING ROOM

Liverpool only really had one good chance in the first half that I can remember, but apart from that we played well. It's hard going to Liverpool as they are on an upward curve and have got some quality players.

We got in half-time at nil-nil, which is what we wanted, but to concede so early in the second half made them a hard team to play against. You have to chase the game, but they have quality, movement and pace in their team.

Even at one-nil you are in with a chance and hoping to get a draw out of the game, but when it went to two-nil and we went down to ten men, it made for a hard day at the office.

When they scored the opening goal, it probably changed the game a little bit and they started taking the game to us, which made it difficult. We could still have got a draw, though, with a bit of magic from someone or a set play, but when it went two-nil it's a hard place to get something from.

I haven't played much, if at all, this season. The last game I played was against Arsenal which was a while ago now, but I came in on Saturday and the manager knows he can trust me if the lads are injured.

Hopefully they are not injured, though, because we have some massive games coming up and we want to go as high as we can in the league. Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems.

We shouldn't get too down. We have got a massive game next week against Manchester United at home. The place will be rocking and it's a great game for us to bounce back. We want to kick on again.

COME ON YOU IRONS