Liverpool 2-0 West Ham Utd (31/01/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:Nolan didn't make it off the bench v WBA on New Years Day, Proph.
Was he fully fit?
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Just back after hour delay on train. Amazing how many West Ham on train back this morning.

Disappointing but entirely predictable once the team was announced. To have a chance of beating Liverpool we needed to be at full strength, play with commitment and attack them. Apart from a few attacks in the first 20 minutes, that failed to need a save from their keeper, we played as if happy with a 2.0 defeat. Sadly I think our manager was and his negativity affected the players. Our attitude against the top teams is totally different away than at home - and so are the results. I'm wondering whether it's even worse wasting my money on Arsenal.

And why can the vast majority of West Ham fans see that Nolan's inclusion makes the team worse yet Allardyce picks him, with the double impact that he doesn't contribute enough and his inclusions moves Downing from the position where he plays well (and got him into the England team).
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

Considering the fact we had our leading goalscorer unavailable and were also missing Jenkinson and Tomkins, this result could have been expected. Especially considering we dropped Noble for Nolan.

Amalfitano, Downing and Nolan were pretty much invisible. Andy Caroll puts in a shift every time but we need to offer an alternative when Plan A isn't working. Carlton Cole in a like for like swap isn't likely to change the direction of the game.

I am convinced there must be something in Nolans contract. It makes no sense to mess up the formation to accomadate him.
tommyd2nd4th

Post by tommyd2nd4th »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: we should stop playing him in a role where dribbling is important then. Most centre forwards are pretty pony at dribbling, just like wingers cannot usually head a ball
Exactly, the guy's a striker but far too often he's picking the ball up out wide and nowhere near the opposition penalty area - often surrounded by 3 or 4 opponents and with nobody to pass to.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

bubbles1966 wrote:They kept targeting the same vulnerability, the same one they always target when they play us - right back.

Picking Amalfitano at RM just compounded the weakness. He's good going forward but Jarvis is better at helping out a full back.

A midfield three of Song (who played well), Downing and Noble is comfortably a match for - in fact it's better than - Lucas, Henderson and whoever the other entirely forgettable one was. It wasn't picked.

O'Brien simply doesn't have the pace to play full back. Straightforward lumps down the field from our corners were effective because of the lack of pace which enabled them to move the game into our half.

That said, there was precious little in it first half and they seemed to spend almost all of it serving up toothless fayre in front of us.
Every bit. :thup:

How come you and I can see it......? Image
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

We wont get many better chances to beat them up there.....and we bottled it.

Two poor teams...one wanting to win more than the other.

Sterling and then Sturridge were head and tails above the rest of the players on the park.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Swiss Pauli wrote:
Noble - who was lucky not to get booked for hacking at Sterling from behind in the move that led to their second - isn't any better at closing down quick players than Nolan.
Which is why he should only be deployed as the deepest midfielder, screening the back four so he's got all the game in front of him.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

De Niro wrote:
I actually think Downing could do with a rest - he has played nearly every minute since before Christmas. Allardyce would be crucified on here for resting him though.
Downing was near enough the best player in the league for the first two months of the season. Point of the diamond every week, Boom. Since then he's been shunted around to accommodate inferior players. It's a common theme.....
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Just got in the door.

A typical Anfield gutless performance, not sure why I thought it would be any different really. But did have genuine optimism going into the fixture, but when the team sheet went out, I knew from the off we wouldn't get anything.

Nolan in the middle of the park, Downing on the wing (ineffectively, again), Carroll playing deep, no Sakho, no Kouyate. We finished the game with four or five players from our season in the Championship.

I don't get on player's backs at the game (not our own, anyway), but the vocal disdain for Nolan was immense, and quite nasty at times.

Some good hospitality by the Scousers though, they've gone up in my estimation a bit. Apparently my mate had a few of their die-yards singing Bubbles in the pub after the game, fair play.

And so the Anfield hoodoo continues..... :(
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote:Was he fully fit?
On the day after New Years Eve? :D

Seriously though, I dunno what happened that day.

Noble never made it off the bench and Carroll barely ran a yard.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

I agree with this, https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... witterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Big George wrote:I agree with this, https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... witterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was thinking about this the other day.

If you sing "we'll be running round Tottenham with our willies hanging out" but without the "f*cking Jew" part, is it still considered racist by those who are offended or offended on behalf of others?

Also, the "always the victim" song isn't aimed at the poor souls who lost their lives, it was more aimed at those who entered the ground without a ticket, causing a crush. I get the that the leftist mentality is to attack anything that's ant-establishment but that song is really trying to point out that some Liverpool "supporters" must accept some form of responsibility.

Anyhow, let's attack our fans as they're all c*nts.
Last edited by Billydinho on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Big George - me too .
brownout

Post by brownout »

[quote
Also, the "always the victim" song isn't aimed at the poor souls who lost their lives, it was more aimed at those who entered the ground without a ticket, causing a crush. I get the that the leftist mentality is to attack anything that's ant-establishment but that song is really trying to point out that some Liverpool "supporters" must accept some form of responsibility.

Anyhow, let's attack our fans as they're all c*nts.[/quote]

If you read the Taylor Report you will see that the crush was not caused by fans entering without tickets. The total number in the Leppings lane End was no more than capacity. The crush was caused by the influx of fans not being directed away from the already full centre pens. It was a total failure of crowd management which went further back - for example failure to set up a ticket control area which would have marshalled fans some way back from the turnstiles (as had been done at previous semi finals in the same ground) and failure to learn from the crushing at previous semi finals on the same terrace. The behaviour of the fans was predictable and typical of how many fans behaved at that time. The cause of the tragedy was the failure of Sheffield Wednesday, the FA and most of all the police, to plan and control an entirely predictable situation.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

If fans hadn't entered the stadium without tickets, would there have been a disaster on this scale still?
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

'Always the victim' is a ****, generic song, f*** knows why we've nicked it and were baiting scousers up with it.

Still shocked people get wound up about 'running round tottenham', can tell a few are attending their first aways if they're moaning about it...
brownout

Post by brownout »

Billydinho wrote:If fans hadn't entered the stadium without tickets, would there have been a disaster on this scale still?
There is no evidence that a large number of ticketless fans entered the stadium - that was not the cause of the disaster.

To quote from Taylor's interim report -

Were Fans Without Tickets a Major Factor in the Build-Up?

Again, however, the police witnesses who most impressed me did not consider the number of ticketless fans to be inordinately large. This accords with two other sources of evidence.

First, there was a wide range of witnesses who observed inside the ground that the Liverpool end was at
a late stage well below capacity save for pens 3 and 4. The north stand still had many empty seats and the wing pens were sparse. The match being a sell-out, there were clearly many ticket holders to come and they could account for the large crowd still outside the turnstiles. Had the Liverpool accommodation been full by 2.40 pm, one could have inferred that most or much of the large crowd outside lacked tickets.
202. Secondly, such figures as are available from the Club's electronic monitoring system and from analyses by the HSE suggest that no great number entered without tickets. They show that the number who passed through turnstiles A to G plus those who entered through gate C roughly equalled the terrace capacity figure of 10,100 for which tickets had been sold. The Club's record showed 7,038 passed through turnstiles A to G. However, the counting mechanism on turnstile G was defective, so the HSE did a study using the video film and projecting figures from the other turnstiles. This gave an assessment of 7,494, with a maximum of 7,644 passing through A to G. Again, using the video, the HSE assessed the number who entered the ground whilst gate C was open at 2,240 with a maximum of 2,480. Accordingly, the HSE's best estimate of the total entering through gate C and turnstiles A to G was 9,734 with a maximum of 10,124.1 recognise that these can only be rough checks because, for example, some with terrace tickets were allowed through turnstiles 1 to 16 and there would be other similar factors which have not formed part of the assessment. Nevertheless, the figures do suggest that there was not a very significant body of ticketless fans in the crowd which built up.
brownout

Post by brownout »

At the risk of upsetting certain people, there is extensive analysis of the causes of Hillsborough & other football disasters in this book which is available from KUMB shop.

http://www.kumb.com/store_item.php?id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sing 'always the victim' if you wish - but not with reference to Hillsborough.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:'Always the victim' is a ****, generic song, **** knows why we've nicked it and were baiting scousers up with it.

Still shocked people get wound up about 'running round tottenham', can tell a few are attending their first aways if they're moaning about it...
Been going away for a few years now, yesterday was as bad as I've seen it. If you think West Ham fans shouting dirty/f***ing Jew at a match is ok, I worry for you.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

End of the day, whether it's right or not, it's a song, and one that's rarely sung nowadays.

No ones being physically hurt...

West Ham aren't the right wing fanbase people want to paint us as...