West Ham Utd 0-1 Chelsea (14/03/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by Hockley Hammer »

miles wrote:Downing was mustard down the left in the second half. Left footed player out on the left wing swinging crosses in with his left foot. We might be on to something here.
For all this what part of the diamond does he/should he play, there is nothing like a couple of wide men with supporting full back bombing down the line putting crosses in regularly.

If that is playing direct then it's just fine by me. One day we'll have a player who guarantees to get on the end of them and another always following up in the box.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

When Kevin Nolan gets the ball in a bit of space he invariably uses it effectively...yesterday the ball reached him frequently in his fairly free role behind the attack, So lots of possession and impressive use of the ball

But it is not always so, his....., ( I'm struggling to find the expression), but "sphere of influence" may be it, is not great enough any more. the ball has to reach him rather than him commanding an area as he should in that midfield position.

Give me Song always looking for the ball always going forward..(with or without an attitude! ) ,
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yea Why Not wrote: Yep, his best game this year for sure. Against perhaps the best right back in the league too
You'd be surprised just how many goals Chelsea concede down Ivanovic's side
Haringer

Post by Haringer »

I'm a bit surprised how people view the Terry-Kouyate collision. My take on it is that Kouyate was on a great run through midfield, played a pass five yards outside the area, continued running and bumped into Terry. All Terry had done was stand there, follow the run of the ball after Kouyate's pass, thereby turning slightly to the right, and then getting hit. What was he supposed to do? Vanish into the sky?

I hate Terry as much as the next man, but can't see anything wrong here as far as he is concerned. I don't think it was a foul by Kouyate either, just a freak collision.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Terry did nothing wrong. He didn't even move and carried on watching the ball before CK ploughed into him.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

smuts wrote:Terry did nothing wrong. He didn't even move and carried on watching the ball before CK ploughed into him.
i've watched it a dozen times over and that is exactly my take on it. Now I can't stand Terry but in this instance there wasn't a foul or any malice. Kouyate ran into him.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Just watched the game back on MOTD.

Did the commentator really just say, "The atmosphere is a fairly muted at Upton Park tonight, I think Allardyce should be saying to the fans, come on it's a London derby".

What a load of b*llocks. You'd think he commentated the game from his arm chair at home. Could not be more wrong.

Last night was what Upton Park is all about, fantastic atmosphere under the lights.

Let's hope we can get ourselves up for Sunderland in a few weeks like that.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

The Sherriff wrote:And they have the audacity to claim the officials have an agenda against them?

Its insufferable watching the media hanging off every word Jose says … despite his inaccuracies, he’s never questioned or pulled up over it. His claims are without any foundation or substance, quite frankly laughable that he gets away with such accusations.
What's most galling is that it's obvious why he does it: it's all simply mind games to get officials to give Chelsea decisions. And yet nobody in the press corps has the balls to call him on it. Our referees get a lot of stick, but our football writers show far worse symptoms of being "bought and paid for."
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

What's most galling is that it's obvious why he does it: it's all simply mind games to get officials to give Chelsea decisions. And yet nobody in the press corps has the balls to call him on it. Our referees get a lot of stick, but our football writers show far worse symptoms of being "bought and paid for."[/quote]

He planted the seed when we played them earlier with Fabregas 'penalty'. He talked about it nonstop until the ref apologized for not giving the penalty. Fabregas was already going to ground when he initiated contact with our defender (Tomkins ?).
Cheating crunts the lot of them.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

From what I heard on Talksport this afternoon ( don't ask) they must give a very good lunch at Stamford Bridge's press box.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I had talksport on the car radio on the way home from work tonight and Adrian Durham was on saying that Reid weren't worth 60 bags a week and then started w@nking over Eden Hazard - they really don't like us do they.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Just watched the game back on MOTD.

Did the commentator really just say, "The atmosphere is a fairly muted at Upton Park tonight, I think Allardyce should be saying to the fans, come on it's a London derby".

What a load of b*llocks. You'd think he commentated the game from his arm chair at home. Could not be more wrong.

Last night was what Upton Park is all about, fantastic atmosphere under the lights.

Let's hope we can get ourselves up for Sunderland in a few weeks like that.
I thought it was very quiet at the start - unusually so for a Chelsea game. But it got going once the team started to play a bit.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I had talksport on the car radio on the way home from work tonight and Adrian Durham was on saying that Reid weren't worth 60 bags a week and then started w@nking over Eden Hazard - they really don't like us do they.
Nothing to do with liking us

All to with kerching...dollar ...premium phone lines

They know if they upset certain clubs like us spurs Newcastle sunderland man city with still predominantly big old school reactionary support their phone lines light up

Doing it to plastic new style supported clubs like arsenal cfc etc gets no reaction

Moral of the story don't listen to talksport..and hide your phone
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I had talksport on the car radio on the way home from work tonight and Adrian Durham was on saying that Reid weren't worth 60 bags a week and then started w@nking over Eden Hazard - they really don't like us do they.
In fairness, Reid isn't worth 60k a week for my money.

Secondly, what an incredible player Hazard is.

Can see your point about bias media references though.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Secondly, what an incredible player Hazard is.
Absolutely. Looked a cut above everyone else on the pitch last night
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

sicknote wrote:
Moral of the story don't listen to talksport..and hide your phone
And let's face it, for every 10 minutes of interesting interviews, one has to put up with several hours of shouty adverts, bigging the "presenters" up, and all round verbal diarrhoea.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2690 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

smuts wrote:Terry did nothing wrong. He didn't even move and carried on watching the ball before CK ploughed into him.
I didn't say he did anything wrong in this instance , it just made me smile watching him roll over and over OUT of the penalty area , maybe to confuse the ref as to where the original collision happened .
Why did he do that ?
Was it because that in his mind he thought he was guilty of giving away a penalty or was it because he likes going for a roll - about every now and again ?
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Yea Why Not wrote: Yep, his best game this year for sure. Against perhaps the best right back in the league too
I'd go much further and say that it was Nolan's best ever game for us - by a mile. Looked like a different player on Weds night - up against a tough midfield. Did very well chasing down the ball and trying his best to not give the opposition any time to control the ball - notably throughout the second half.

After seeing what he did on Weds I'd be pencilling him in for exactly the same against L'Arse, and **** me, am I surprised to be saying that.
tony1978

Post by tony1978 »

The atmosphere was good 2nd half but in the first half was awful.
O'Briens Hair-Line

Post by O'Briens Hair-Line »

Rocketron wrote:From what I heard on Talksport this afternoon ( don't ask) they must give a very good lunch at Stamford Bridge's press box.
Thats why that fat c*nt moose works there, for the free food, sometimes i dont even believe he supports West Ham, cant stand the lot of them, all have something against us.