Arsenal 3-0 West Ham Utd (14/03/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Mad Professor
Has liked: 276 likes

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Mad Professor »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I think we miss Andy Carroll. Vital player for us.
Agreed. We need him fit or an appropriate replacement.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 389 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by chappo59 »

If only.... wrote:Several comparisons of the Arsenal transfer costs and wage bills to prove that we had no real chance against Arsenal.

How does that work against the likes of WBA and Crystal Palace? Should we not walk over them as a formality using the same logic?
Agree with this.......if BFS is writing off certain games as not winnable or not expecting anything out them, it's dangerous as this attitude could permeate through to the players. I'm old skool I believe every game to be winnable until it's evidently not and writing games off is cheating the fans.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The death of a Football Club...supposedly the biggest in London.

I don't see Arsenal as anything but a business these days.

No Pride, No Passion, No nothing apart from 3 points really.

The business itself try everything to drum up excitement....but its now impossible to excite the muppets that pay £1500 to sit down and say they do something on a Saturday afternoon.

I pray that the mighty Claret and Blue don't end up like this when we go to the OS.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Sakho should have been ready to pounce on the rebound from Nolan but he was nowhere near, I'm fairly sure that Carlton if he were fit wiuld have been in the right place to put it away.
Also of even more concern is Sakho's preference for striking the ball with the inside of his right boot. He missed a sitter lagainst Chelsea because he went for the cross with wrong foot and yesterday whenever he did break and was being pushed left he kept trying to turn inside onto his right foot and losing posesion rather than just shooting with the outside of his right boot. He definitely needs to spend a lot more time with Teddy Sheringham.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incomplete quote removed.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Romford wrote:The death of a Football Club...supposedly the biggest in London.

The business itself try everything to drum up excitement....but its now impossible to excite the muppets that pay £1500 to sit down and say they do something on a Saturday afternoon.

I pray that the mighty Claret and Blue don't end up like this when we go to the OS.
There also appeared to be quite a few empty seats around the stadium, which if they were playing Leicester or Burnley or someone could maybe be acceptable but not when they're playing WHU!
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

I have gooner mates who still get quite passionate about their club, but certainly agree that the ownership is all about business and making money. They care little about winning cups or satisfying real fans, it's all about bottom line for them.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The problem is the lack of flexibility when we have been great...our players cannot expect to play every game at full tilt and beat teams that have cost 10 times more. As soon as we have been winning games easily we should have bought on youngsters and squad players and gave the Downings, Kouyates, Songs, Carrols, Sakhos and Reids a 20 min rest. This would have meant much less wear and tear and chance of injury. It would have also beeded in some of the players that are now being expected to work miracles.

Sams total inflexibility and lack of using the squad is hurting us huge now....

Saying all that...how much time did the ball stay in the air yesterday ?? I notice MOTD didn't show any of that.

This is a very poor league if that Arsenal team have won 8 games in a row.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bullyhammer wrote: I have gooner mates who still get quite passionate about their club, but certainly agree that the ownership is all about business and making money. They care little about winning cups or satisfying real fans, it's all about bottom line for them.
I too have Gooner mates who are passionate...but they cannot afford to go to every game.

They do agree though that the club as a whole has lost any form of Soul since moving....and they also agree that the ground should never have been allowed to be built there too.

The corruption goes right to the very top.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Harry Hound wrote:
There also appeared to be quite a few empty seats around the stadium, which if they were playing Leicester or Burnley or someone could maybe be acceptable but not when they're playing WHU!
I bet 10% were empty....
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

IMHO I thought 3-0 flattered us, not Arsenal. Okay we played well in terms of effort and trying to get the ball wide but Arsenal had about 4 really good chances in front of goal and probably a penalty that wasn't given. We could have been 4 down by half time and maybe even lost by 6 or 7 by the end of the game. I look at Stoke City having virtually all their best flair players and CB's injured and they still managed to win 3 games in a row. Am I being unrealistic to feel disappointed that we didn't make it a closer game yesterday (especially after seeing Burnley beat mega-bucks City)?
IngatestoneHammer

Post by IngatestoneHammer »

Arsenal's starting 11 yesterday cost around £147m compared to our starting 11 costing around £37m of which Jarvis was our most expensive player at £11m !

For 60 mins we did OK, had a bit of luck with their poor finishing ...were a goal down to a very well worked goal.

After 75mins Arsenal were able to freshen it up by bringing on over £30m of talent in Cazorla & Welbeck.

What did BFS have on the bench to bring on and freshen it up ?...no surprise then that Arsenal went on to get another 2 goals...as our boys tired.

I know Romford despises the move to the OS and the Arsenal set up at the Emirates ...but if the move to Stratford gives us the clout to have players like Giroud, Ramsey and Cazorla in our squad then I'm all for it.

Until we have the ability to have a squad with the sort of depth & quality of an Arsenal we will always be up against the bigger sides being able to change the game from off the bench.

As well as our players can play..... we can't expect all of them to play out of their skins every week for 90 minutes.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by woodywoody »

As stated earlier I don't believe Sam is as good as some of you think regards tactics during the game and squad rotation. I bet most clubs will need to use a youngster or developers during the season rather than moving players in to different positions at the expense of other positions. Surely 2 seasons on a row with missing centre backs tells you that we need another or a spare right /left back who can play there. If those coming through are not to be trusted why have them.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

woodywoody wrote: If those coming through are not to be trusted why have them.
Which of the young players are you referring to, woodys?
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Look who we've employed to help us with the move though...
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

IngatestoneHammer wrote:Arsenal's starting 11 yesterday cost around £147m compared to our starting 11 costing around £37m of which Jarvis was our most expensive player at £11m !

For 60 mins we did OK, had a bit of luck with their poor finishing ...were a goal down to a very well worked goal.

After 75mins Arsenal were able to freshen it up by bringing on over £30m of talent in Cazorla & Welbeck.

What did BFS have on the bench to bring on and freshen it up ?...no surprise then that Arsenal went on to get another 2 goals...as our boys tired.

Until we have the ability to have a squad with the sort of depth & quality of an Arsenal we will always be up against the bigger sides being able to change the game from off the bench.
Absolutely bang on the money :thup:

Someone mention in a post that Allardyce can never get the better of Wenger & his record vs him is poor. That's down to Arsenal having a better team in terms of quality when he's met a SA's Bolton, Blackburn or West Ham.

Let West Ham have the majority of 1st team players in the £15m+ bracket, then compare.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by woodywoody »

Which the players you're referring to?[/quote]

Any we have regards youth ,development (Reserves) and who we have brought over the last few seasons as this problem occurs every year. Weather be injuries or tiredness, squad rotation player acquisition in positions is just part of good teams and good managers surely.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Someone mention in a post that Allardyce can never get the better of Wenger & his record vs him is poor. That's down to Arsenal having a better team in terms of quality when he's met a SA's Bolton, Blackburn or West Ham.

Let West Ham have the majority of 1st team players in the £15m+ bracket, then compare.
Curbs and Pardew both beat Arsenal.
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

Only Arsenal and Chelsea have taken six points from us, no other team can. That shows me that we have been involved in all but 4 games this season, and you could argue that we deserved at least a point in our two home games against Arsenal and Chelsea.

We have made progress this season, last year we were relegation candidates for most of the season (February saved us). This season we haven't had any worries about relegation, we've beaten some of the top teams and upped our performances while playing some entertaining football.

Let's see if we can finish strongly and add more quality in the summer. We can't compete with the big boys yet, but we have moved away from the likes of Sunderland and Villa, who are similar size clubs to us.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I just don't agree with setting up like we did in the first half and then having to battle from a goal down. I don't mind setting up to counter, but we didn't really as we don't have the midfield to do it with Song, Noble and Nolan. I appreciate we were limited with our options but I don't nearly think he used them to their best capacity.

We then were decent but not particularly threatening whilst refusing to make appropriate subs until it was too late. Their first goal was fantastic, can't deny that and you can barely defend against the move in isolation. But if you sit deep and welcome them onto you then you're inviting something like that.

It was likely to be one of those days but there were still frustrations amongst the other understandable problems
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:
Look who we've employed to help us with the move though...
Tell me about it....the people at the top think we can learn something off Fulham and Arsenal when it comes to support.

Arsenal must have millions of fans around the world...but cannot find 300 with enough balls to go to Napoli.

They aren't a football club anymore....