Arsenal 3-0 West Ham Utd (14/03/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Romford »

IngatestoneHammer wrote:
I know Romford despises the move to the OS and the Arsenal set up at the Emirates ...but if the move to Stratford gives us the clout to have players like Giroud, Ramsey and Cazorla in our squad then I'm all for it.

Until we have the ability to have a squad with the sort of depth & quality of an Arsenal we will always be up against the bigger sides being able to change the game from off the bench.

As well as our players can play..... we can't expect all of them to play out of their skins every week for 90 minutes.
I want to go to the OS mate...but i am worried that we will lose what makes us special.

Arsenal can afford all this because they have a very dodgy stadium that you wont see built new anywhere else in this country....and know that they will make Champions League football every season due to their old school mates at the FA.

We will never have that backing....never have a ref that wont see a 5 yard offside right in front of him like Walcott v Norwich....and as we know Arsenal will ALWAYS be one of those 4, can we ever get to the top 3 on a regular basis ?

I think not....

Until corruption is stopped in Football...from FIFA to the FA ....then everyone else is just making up the numbers without huge backing.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

IngatestoneHammer wrote:
I know Romford despises the move to the OS and the Arsenal set up at the Emirates ...but if the move to Stratford gives us the clout to have players like Giroud, Ramsey and Cazorla in our squad then I'm all for it.

I still don't see even with the move how we can compete with them, they have a complete tier that is surrounded by restaurants inside the ground where people are willing to pay a kings ransom to sit and eat.
What are our plans for corporate?
Arsenal make more money on match days then any other team in Europe,fifty per cent of that money is from corporates.
I just don't see how we are ever going to have the financial clout to catch them up.
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

mushy wrote:I still don't see even with the move how we can compete with them, they have a complete tier that is surrounded by restaurants inside the ground where people are willing to pay a kings ransom to sit and eat.
£75k/season for a 10-seater executive box. Thanks to a friend's generosity, I enjoyed the corporate hospitality yesterday. The food was quite expensive but not outrageously so (roughly a tenner for a burger/fries for the paying punter).

Arsenal have 150 boxes. When we move to the OS, I believe that we will have 16. :| We do have over 3,000 VIP seats, apparently, so I'm not sure how that works.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I would say that financial clout tells part, but not all of the story. Or, put another way, it will affect but not determine any given result.

The effect that it has is that no manager of one of the loaded clubs has to repeatedly pick a player who needs a rest, or just slightly longer to get over an injury. We clearly do. In fact, we have to occasionally play a player in a position that he would not normally play in. That is red rag to the other (loaded) club, because they spend the next 95 minutes exploiting that weakness.

The exception to this rule is personified by Burnley this weekend. If you stuck true to the idea that the club with the bigger revenue is the club with the better players is the club that destined to win the game, you come unstuck with their result. Sure, it was won against the run of play, but, also, according to their goal-scorer, it arose because they were coached to effect a plan designed to exploit a weakness their manager had identified (it all related to the fact that City do not track back as quickly as other teams, so they were tackled hard and long balls immediately ensued into the channels).
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

If you can tell every young player you try and buy "Next England squad.... you will be in" then you do hold the best cards unfairly.

No other sport would allow it....
dtp2

Post by dtp2 »

A box at the OS - literally a box, no food or drink - half a dozen seats = 110k
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Arsenal qualify for the champions league on merit, not because they have well placed mates :eh:

I was at the game on Sat, but in with them lot in North Bank. We played alright for a while but missed any decent chances we had. Jarvis is ****ing **** and I cannot wait for him to be moved on.

We had no chance anyway, not with the injuries we have. If this game was before Christmas we probably would have turned them over as they weren't very good either. 3-0 it was not.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

West Ham Matt wrote:Arsenal qualify for the champions league on merit, not because they have well placed mates :eh

I was at the game on Sat, but in with them lot in North Bank. We played alright for a while but missed any decent chances we had. Jarvis is ****ing **** and I cannot wait for him to be moved on.

We had no chance anyway, not with the injuries we have. If this game was before Christmas we probably would have turned them over as they weren't very good either. 3-0 it was not.

I thought he was one of our better players to be honest. He was certainly causing Chambers(?) some problems down that flank. The final ball wasn't great at times but he did tee up Nolan nicely for that volley.

I was actually surprised to see him get subbed. I think he deserves another start in the next game. Opinions eh? :)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:

I thought he was one of our better players to be honest. He was certainly causing Chambers(?) some problems down that flank. The final ball wasn't great at times but he did tee up Nolan nicely for that volley.

I was actually surprised to see him get subbed. I think he deserves another start in the next game. Opinions eh?
If we were going to get anything out of the game...it was going to come from Jarvis taking on Chambers.

England defender my arse :asleep:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

West Ham Matt wrote:Arsenal qualify for the champions league on merit, not because they have well placed mates :eh:
Totally disagree.....you need to look at some of the decisions over the years.Look up Arsenal beating Narj 3-1

If you were there on Saturday...tell me one thing :

How has that ground been allowed to be built there ?

Look at ANY other new ground in this country....let alone a 60K one.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Can't help but feel slightly gutted about what could have been this season after an amazing run up to Xmas!
Sat game could have been very different if the goal wasn't scored bang on half time.
Natives would have become nervy and we may have nicked it!
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

simon1982 wrote:Can't help but feel slightly gutted about what could have been this season after an amazing run up to Xmas!
Sat game could have been very different if the goal wasn't scored bang on half time.
Natives would have become nervy and we may have nicked it
!
I'm sure you don't need me to tell you, but that is the lot of a WHU fan.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Thought Jarvis did okay on Saturday. Miles better than Downing who has looked like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders the last few months.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

For me I'd have taken both Jarvis and Downing off and replaced them with Amalfitano and Nene. Jarvis just can't seem to put in a decent cross (maybe he should watch and learn from Jenkinson and Cresswell) and he just doesn't have the composure he used to have in front of goal.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Harry Hound wrote:For me I'd have taken both Jarvis and Downing off and replaced them with Amalfitano and Nene. Jarvis just can't seem to put in a decent cross (maybe he should watch and learn from Jenkinson and Cresswell) and he just doesn't have the composure he used to have in front of goal.
He needs a big cuddle i think.... :D
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Arsenal tourists doze off during game, holding hands though, sweet 8-)

Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

There is also a Black fella behind the bird with the white coat whose sparko aswell...and nobody has noticed.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

smuts wrote:Thought Jarvis did okay on Saturday. Miles better than Downing who has looked like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders the last few months.
A few great games, and he's gone back to the way he's been most of his career. :cry:
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Clearly missing a hot news story to hang their oh so trendy coats on and wake them all up.
Can someone photo shop this changing the word Charlie to Une C**t?
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Love that Arsenal photo. Must admit though, my mate fell asleep at the Liverpool game last season. We had been boozing all day Saturday, and had had about 5 pints on Sunday afternoon before kick off. We were sat quite high up in Alpari Upper. I turn round 10 minutes in and he's :asleep: