West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (21/03/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Re: West Ham United FC vs Sunderland AFC: Match thread

Post by smuts »

For £3.5 million Sakho has been an absolute bargain. For over £12 million, Valencia certainly wasn't.
Frank The Mac

Post by Frank The Mac »

Gep wrote:What was all that scrap outside the ground 15min before KO all about?? Few blokes wearing hard hats with West Ham crests on them. I thought it was amongst Sunderland supporters on first thought, then realised it was our own. It later continued after the game by the front gates as hundreds of us couldn't get through the gates due to the continuing rushing and people stopping to watch.

What's all that about?? People around me looked petrified and couldn't wait to get out. Sad.
saw it from the other sides of the gates on Green Street and there was a bloke swinging a hard hat who seemed to get cracked fairly bad. Seems like something happened before kickoff and some people decided to wait outside after the game to continue it.
bwbazza

Post by bwbazza »

smuts wrote:For £3.5 million Sakho has been an absolute bargain. For over £12 million, Valencia certainly wasn't.
Yet
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

giantsteps wrote:Sakho's the best striker we've had in eons imo, and out and out goal sniffer.

Ok, he went off the boil for a couple of games, it happens to the best of players.

But the return we've had for £3.5million has been nothing short of amazing.

Didn't we spend roughly that on Maiga?

Plus, the bloke broke down in tears when we didn't initally sign him and he does the crossed irons hand gesture every time he scores. WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?
I agree. Valencia is probably a better technical player. Diafra fluffs control sometimes and doesn't always hold it up as well as you'd like. But he has the knack for getting goals in the box and he never stops trying.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

smuts wrote:For £3.5 million Sakho has been an absolute bargain. For over £12 million, Valencia certainly wasn't.
But £15m for the two is great business.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Valencia has no technique whatsoever.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1154 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Sakho seems to have that instinct for being in the right place

this leads to him having more chances per match than any striker I can remember seeing at west ham - he doesn't score every one and misses some he should score and scores some he shouldn't but on the whole I think he has quickly become one of our most important players

it's a shame that the sheer number of chances he manages to be in the right place for actually end up reflecting slightly negatively on him but I'd prefer that to continue

needs competition though - as do all the team
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3492 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Doc H Ball wrote:Probably some health and safety phallusy.
Nice one centurion :D
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Some stuff for you...

Allardyce on... Sunderland
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128382

Advocaat on... West Ham United
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128384

The opposition view... Sunderland
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128385
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Sorry UTJ but did you say Nolan was our best miidfielder?

I saw him make one decent pass in the first half and then give it a way a bit, get caught in possession and then do his usual watching the game go by. Yes, he should have had a couple of penalties but is that a mark of a good performer?

Noble and Song weren't perfect by any stretch but they were definitely much more better and involved.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Billydinho wrote:Valencia has no technique whatsoever.
Give him time mate. At least another season.

Personally think he would work better under a different manager.

This is no way a dig at Sam, I just think he would work well in a better system.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Billydinho wrote:Yes, he should have had a couple of penalties but is that a mark of a good performer?
It's certainly one.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Personally think he would work better under a different manager.

This is no way a dig at Sam, I just think he would work well in a better system.
It wasn't a dig mate, it was an answer to the poster who said Sakho has less technique than Valencia.

Marlon Harewood had absolutely no technical ability and I loved him.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Up the Junction wrote: It's certainly one.
Why? I personally don't think that makes for an impressive attribute.

I think there seems to be an agenda to find more positives in Nolan's performances than there actually are.

Nolan should come off for Carlton. Jarvis was a decent outlet but had only Sakho to look for, hence getting Carlton on for Nolan would have made more sense, seeing as the latter's main task isn't to attack any more, apparently.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

I agree with UTJ that I thought Nolan had a decent game. He seemed to get a good reception when he was subbed too. He has shown a different side to his game in the last couple of home games imo with some nice crisp passing at times. He was putting himself about more again too yesterday.

However, I think the problem is that a midfield with him, Noble and Song is too static and I don't think they can all play together. No more than two of them should play at the same time, I think.
Neil Orr fan club

Post by Neil Orr fan club »

Totally agree Sir trev

Too slow and predictable with all 3 of them in
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 875 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Nolan has had a decent run of games of late and was our best midfielder yesterday. I have been a fan of his since he joined us, but I am realistic enough, as I am sure he is too, that his days as a first choice premier league midfielder are numbered. It is unlikely that he will be top scorer for a third year.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Nolan has had a decent run of games of late and was our best midfielder yesterday. I have been a fan of his since he joined us, but I am realistic enough, as I am sure he is too, that his days as a first choice premier league midfielder are numbered. It is unlikely that he will be top scorer for a third year.
he's been unlucky to only have the one this season. him and valencia seem to get the most out of goalies.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

He was better than Noble IMO. But saying that some people on here thought Noble was our best player. The bloke next to me was apoplectic when Jarvis was subbed as he was adamant he was our best player in the 1st half.

Opinions eh?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Although he's slow covering ground, it's a myth that Nobles speed of thought and execution of a (forward) pass is slow. Like against Spurs, you'd be surprised the amount of quality forward passes he attempted within a blink of receiving a ball at Arsenal too if he's paid particular close attention. A lot of his work seems to sadly go unnoticed or not appreciated. And it came as no surprise to me it was him that laid on a delicate assist for our winning goal after quickly improvising the pass when it came back to him in a flash.

My gripe regarding Noble down the years has been the reluctance of Managers not playing him further forward as they're afraid of losing his qualities defensively for the team. The boy can definitely see and make a pass 8/10.