Leicester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (04/04/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Romford »

johnny wrote:I keep hearing nothing to play for ?

Well how about playing for me and the other three thousand who paid out for tickets and travel
It's amazing how our Spanish keeper can keep his levels up without any real worry about losing his place...yet our English club captain cannot.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

johnny wrote: Well how about playing for me and the other three thousand who paid out for tickets and travel
^^^^^^^
This.

There was no tactical attempt to win the game in the second half. None whatsoever. It was crying out for a switch to 4-4-2 after a good and entertaining first half in which we had won the upper hand. Sadly the manager was content to sit back and respect the point in this game. He showed zero respect to those who had travelled and paid to see West Ham win.

There is no need to play for a draw in our current situation - in any game. It is not a healthy situation to sit out the season and cruise. It is important to keep a positive mindset. This is done by trying to win games with a high tempo.

Sadly the manager is reluctant to play in the style he had earlier in the season - even with the same personnel at hand. The pace has totally gone out of our game. I accept that there is no Valencia (who has this in abundance). But we could have put Cole on for the second half to give Sakho support and try to force the pace by sending him down the channels and revert to the style we liked - such as whipping in the lower crosses with Downing back into the centre.

So many of us saw that style of play as entertaining and effective. It seems the manager merely saw it as a temporary stop gap.

Forget respect the point. Remember respect the fans.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

i was a little dissapointed there wasn't a young player on the bench. This is the time to let someone have a go. Nothing to lose.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

I felt like this game summed up why people will continue to complain until Sam goes.
I have nothing against Nolan, but he is never a starter. Yet I say that thinking he wasn't awful yesterday, just ineffective for the most part and SHOULD have taken his chance.
The tactics threw me - one up front (AGAIN), sub timing and decisions completely wayward.
Sakho makes way for Carlton Cole when there's Nene :? .... It felt like we were playing for a draw.
I despair.
jon253

Post by jon253 »

really enjoyable game to watch, then welcome to the West Ham way!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

When you start with your 3 best central players there is just no need for Nolan in the team. I don't like digging him out but it was just pointless. Amalfiltano, Jarvis or Nene were better more mobile options that also offered width. I am still trying to get my head around the starting line up, especially with one up top you need wider alternatives and players that can support.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Ginge kept us in it with numerous headers that prevented dangerous attacks, we are lucky - especially with the penalty save - that it wasn't a real hiding.
Song was ok, not amazing, but his short passing was top notch. I don't slate him but Nolan shouldn't have started. Even Carlton up there to battle with Morgan would have been a positive option alongside the isolated Sakho.

All in all a disapointing trip. Leicester deserved the win and their fans made some decent noise. Bit cringey with the plastic clappers, the ibiza 'woop woop' singing and one utter bell in their 'family stand' in a stone island giving it all game just across the fan divider from me. Absolute devastation watching him gloat after the win.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1607 likes

Post by chalks »

The Gibbins wrote:When you start with your 3 best central players there is just no need for Nolan in the team. I don't like digging him out but it was just pointless .
Agreed and think its a huge shame to watch a really good professionals career slowing down the way it has. He has earned every single penny of his wages for us since he's been here, but it's time his early season bit part role became more permanent in my opinion.

Will go down though as one of our all time great captains in my opinion
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

^

sadly our most hated too, Chalks

disappointed with BFS set-up yesterday...he just seems to love 1 up front
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I'd say the spuds forum fans are going mad over how their mighty team of England squad footballers couldn't beat lowly Burnley.

Imagine that!
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Phil S wrote:sadly our most hated too, Chalks
Erm, I disagree. That 'honour' would possibly go to the spineless one that was 'injured' yet again yesterday
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I wonder if Nolan being stuck on 99 PL goals is on the agenda? Wouldn't surprise me to see Nolan step up for a penalty if by some miracle we ever get one given.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

chalks wrote: Agreed and think its a huge shame to watch a really good professionals career slowing down the way it has. He has earned every single penny of his wages for us since he's been here, but it's time his early season bit part role became more permanent in my opinion.

Will go down though as one of our all time great captains in my opinion
Every penny and more...

Signed by another manager and the opinion of him would be very different...shame that's what judging a player comes down to

He'll be gone at the end of the season...but there is no shame in what he has done for the club
FordLovingHammer69

Post by FordLovingHammer69 »

I was a bit miffed about the DS/Cole sub to be honest. With another striker Cole does cause problems, but on his own has little impact in my opinion. And Nene, a few minutes from time? Why? Him and DS should be the starting 2 up top for a few games and see how we get on. I neither love nor hate Sam, but I just wish he would instill some cut throat 'bite' to our play.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Our lot. Filmed by their lot.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was a great day out, spoiled by 90 mins of football.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

First sober away game I've done in over 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed the game, very entertaining end to end stuff throughout. Not seen the highlights but thought we could've won it if that Kayoute chance had gone in. Period of about 15 minutes at the start of the second half when we hardly touched the ball was worrying (probably should've brought on Cole earlier) but they were playing for their lives and were confident in attack.

On another day that one creeps in off the post and we're 3 points better off. Never mind, three points on Saturday and secure up that top half place.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Come on leicester boys,
Make some f**king noise,
We go wild wil wild,
We go wild wild wild...

Was still ringing in my ears all day yesterday
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

I still keep singing it now!
si_preston_hammer

Post by si_preston_hammer »

smuts wrote:I wonder if Nolan being stuck on 99 PL goals is on the agenda? Wouldn't surprise me to see Nolan step up for a penalty if by some miracle we ever get one given.
Think you might have a point there!

He's been a great captain, but if this is put to bed, then maybe a sub role until the end!

Amalfitano needs more game time!!!
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

Thing that gets me about Sams presser and his 'we weren't clinical' we need to 'put chances away' spiel is that it seems to manifest itself every few games. I can think of more than numerous times last season and even during this campaign where this was trundled out as an excuse. Not really an excuse because he was right to be fair but can't we work on mitigating this phenomenon.

Sheringham out!