West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (11/04/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

vapourtrail

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread.

Post by vapourtrail »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Read Darwin's posts. He is Ecuadorian, and will tell you what's what
I trust the words of a very good journalist and a friend of mine, Jon Arnold, who's covering mexican football for many years.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vapourtrail wrote: Yep. I actually played that position during my playing days.
So would you agree it is defensive winger.....the exact position that Valencia played yesterday and a combinationation of left back and left wing.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Sauce! wrote:
But then he had to go off with a thigh strain. :lol:
Still took Sam 5 mins to get him off...i saw him ask for it on the halfway line.
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

Romford wrote:
So would you agree it is defensive winger.....the exact position that Valencia played yesterday and a combinationation of left back and left wing.
He had to track back a lot as our midfield wasn't able to cope with Stoke's pressure, while they we're overloading the right hand side, with Arnautovic constantly drifting in.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote: I don't agree .

Let's not confuse our inability to force a save from their keeper after the 8th minute with trying to close the game out .
We totally changed our game plan...dropped back 10 feet.

Every time we had a goal kick kick Adrian went all Percy Thrower for 5 mins.

It was embarrassing against a team we had on the run and hadn't won a point for 3 games.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vapourtrail wrote:He had to track back a lot as our midfield wasn't able to cope with Stoke's pressure, while they we're overloading the right hand side, with Arnautovic constantly drifting in.
What was he doing in midfield anyway ?

We had an extra player in midfield...and they had Charlie Adam who Mark Noble looks quick against.
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

Romford wrote: What was he doing in midfield anyway ?

We had an extra player in midfield...and they had Charlie Adam who Mark Noble looks quick against.
We looked completely out of gas with Nobes and Song who constantly slowed down our game and killed numerous opportunities to start counter-attacks as he dwelled on the ball, which gave Stoke the chance to regroup.

Don't agree with your judgement about Charlie Adam. I think he's a very useful player.
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

Useful and quick aren't the same thing.
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

richiepap wrote:Useful and quick aren't the same thing.
You don't need to be quick to make clever decisions. Adams direct passing was much better than Song's.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vapourtrail wrote:You don't need to be quick to make clever decisions. Adams direct passing was much better than Song's.
The argument is why Valencia needs to play in midfield when we are playing a Stoke team with Charlie Adam's pace in the centre of the park.

Did we have one more in midfield for most of the game but didn't show anything for it...in fact we retreated deeper.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

vapourtrail wrote:I agree. I brought this up a few weeks ago. I don't see us progressing with Song & Nobes playing together. Kouyate is still not the finished article, as he got caught out of position far too many times for a very good box-to-box-midfielder. That's why the club is looking for another robust central midfielder instead of either Nobes or Song, who looks completely out of pace at the moment.
Agreed VT. I'm just fed up of the club bringing in like minded players. Do they not know we're crying out for a couple of decent wingers?

As I say again, no pace or flair.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:After not coming to a home game for about 3 years I don't think I'll be back any time soon.

What a completely **** experience. I got a ticket next to the away fans because I thought it would be a pretty decent atmosphere there, ****ing hell was it boring. Loads of abuse by Stoke fans, not a single response.

The only group of people trying to get the place going were in the corner of the East Stand. Think I'll try to stick to away games from now on.
No offense but why would you expect any different sitting there?

Those blocks are the last to go on sale and normally full of families and daytrippers...

No one creating any atmosphere would be sat there...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

richiepap wrote:Useful and quick aren't the same thing.
You wont get a straight answer off of this fella mate.....you have to go around the Haus

Just look at a what wing back means
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

Romford wrote: The argument is why Valencia needs to play in midfield when we are playing a Stoke team with Charlie Adam's pace in the centre of the park.
Because Nobes and especially Song acted much slower than Adam did yesterday. Plus Stoke constantly overloaded our left side and again showed us, that Cresswell has to work on his positioning. Another game, where he made too many mistakes in that kind of area. Arnautovic was all over him for large parts of the first and second half. The fact, that the Austrian's end product isn't very good apart from one or two good crosses and his fine strike at the end doesn't tell the whole story.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vapourtrail wrote: Because Nobes and especially Song acted much slower than Adam did yesterday. Plus Stoke constantly overloaded our left side and again showed us, that Cresswell has to work on his positioning. Another game, where he made too many mistakes in that kind of area. Arnautovic was all over him for large parts of the first and second half. The fact, that the Austrian's end product isn't very good apart from one or two good crosses and his fine strike at the end doesn't tell the whole story.
We didn't put enough pressure on Adams...and even when we did he just fell over and conned the poor ref.

Teams are not daft anymore....you stop our full backs coming forward and you stop our play. You stick Moses and Arna wide and that's our width out of the window. We have not worked out how to play against it.

Valencia is never going to be a left winger....why he played there in a defensive mode was madness especially when you have Amalfi on the bench. Thats why Stoke went for the right....square pegs again

Noble collected the ball many times and had nobody forward to pass to...we played far too deep as soon as we scored. Why ?
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

Romford wrote:
We didn't put enough pressure on Adams...and even when we did he just fell over and conned the poor ref.

Teams are not daft anymore....you stop our full backs coming forward and you stop our play. You stick Moses and Arna wide and that's our width out of the window. We have not worked out how to play against it.
I agree. And here Song would be key. He's the guy who has to create option. He needs to find triangles. But in reality he's dwelling on the ball, slows down our game and gives the opposition every time in the world to regroup.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vapourtrail wrote: I agree. And here Song would be key. He's the guy who has to create option. He needs to find triangles. But in reality he's dwelling on the ball, slows down our game and gives the opposition every time in the world to regroup.
This has been happening all season though...we have too many players whose best position is defensive midfield and cannot work with each other.

Chuck in a fella who has had a great season but now needs a rest (Downing).

The team yesterday was better built to attack than defend...why on earth did we drop and try and defend a lead after 8 mins ??

If Song had stayed on....all ifs and buts....but we would have been better than what we had with Nolan.

Chucking players into the centre of the park willy nilly doesn't stop anything.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Romford wrote:We didn't put enough pressure on Adams.
Not just Adam. It was really noticeable yesterday how much time they were getting on the ball. 1-2 touches, pass to team mate, repeat to fade.

Adam bossed the midfield for them yesterday, especially after Song went off. We just stood back and watched.
Ali888

Post by Ali888 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
A bit like Eric Morecambe with Andre Previn, Sam was playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order.
Shouldn't that be Andrew Preview?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Welsh Iron wrote:
Not just Adam. It was really noticeable yesterday how much time they were getting on the ball. 1-2 touches, pass to team mate, repeat to fade.

Adam bossed the midfield for them yesterday, especially after Song went off. We just stood back and watched.
We watched all of their players...and stood back even further.

Thats not a bad patch.....thats just asking for trouble.

Something we cannot handle right now....

Why bring it on ?