Manchester City 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/04/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

frankiemac

Re: Manchester City Vs West Ham United match thread

Post by frankiemac »

Thought Valencia did ok, put them on the Blackfoot many times...he's nowhere near the finished article, but in a few years will be class...we paid for the potential in him, not for the player he is, give him time

Surprised by our numbers up there today...maybe 800-1000...a third of the numbers spurs had at Newcastle today
bobo

Post by bobo »

You gotta laugh really! Sam said at the end of last season "we need a Suarez type striker, one that can float from channel to channel with good movement" so he signs Valencia who quite clearly is capable of this role and sticks to a ridged formation with him as a left midfileder, not even a winger but a ridged left mid. On top of that the other guy who can play that role he sends off to QPR while keeping the likes of Amilfitano & Nene sitting on the bench.

Top top bantz from our Sam
jdick

Post by jdick »

Passion of a squashed cockroach. Could have been 6 against us
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Will leave the inquest to anyone else who wishes to attribute blame for the performance and the result, but the one thing that left me fuming today was the amount of times we gave away possession unnecessarily. Some culprits were worse than others, but lots of our mob gave the ball away needlessly.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

kenthammer1984 wrote:I might have been a bit harsh on Kouyate in my initial assessment, but I still think it is a slightly naughty challenge. He was bringing his arm down to force his way through, knowing Silva is a lot smaller.

Hopefully no ban will come of it.
Clearly accidental.

As much as song has lost form, at least he is trying to thread a ball through and make stuff happen.

But that performance from start till about 85 minutes was disgraceful. No closing down (and the two times we did we won possession) or urgency.

Reminded me a lot of last season. I truly thought something had clicked when we were harassing City, L'pool at home, and giving them no time to play. Seems like years ago now.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

frankiemac wrote: Surprised by our numbers up there today...maybe 800-1000...a third of the numbers spurs had at Newcastle today
The rest must have had access to a crystal ball (or seen the abjectness of our recent performances)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I saw some terrible things yesterday at City,as a club they have sold their soul .I hope they think it was worth it .

Fake electronic flags and banners

Stats being popped up mid game,,,,,

And Englands only one , sorry I mean Number one , the token, Blue moon, you saw me standing alone

Be afraid for your future fellow Hammers because we're just 21 home games away from it .

Bright spot of the day was Aggureo's missus cutting me up at a junction trying to avoid a queue .He was in the passenger seat, but I could see why he wanted to get her home quickly , and it wasn't for a baked potato
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

frankiemac wrote:Surprised by our numbers up there today...maybe 800-1000...a third of the numbers spurs had at Newcastle today
Im not. Spurs are not in the awful stagnant situation that we're in.

If the team were putting an effort in I'm sure there would be a lot more fans travel up. But they seem to be treating these remaining games like every one is a pre-sesson friendly effort wise, sod that for a game of soldiers. Couple this with the manager situation and it doesn't bode well for travelling fans.

I notice the Villa game hasn't sold out either.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

smuts wrote: He doesn't swing his arm back, he's a gangly ****er anyway and he just caught him on the downswing. I didn't even think it was a booking.

The City players didn't make much of it either.

If it was Chelski though, they would have all been round the ref waving cards like nobodies business.
Exactly. And the TV pundits know which side of their bread is buttered, some disgraceful comments.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

richneal wrote:Will leave the inquest to anyone else who wishes to attribute blame for the performance and the result, but the one thing that left me fuming today was the amount of times we gave away possession unnecessarily. Some culprits were worse than others, but lots of our mob gave the ball away needlessly.
And it's been like that for far too long. I can't imagine we work much on our passing in training: retaining possession must be a very low priority in Sam's philosophy, and it's killing us. It's one of the most important things that must change, whomever is in charge.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I'm still finding it hard to describe, we was poor but considering we we was dominated so much we defending reasonably well, a miracle own goal and a counter attack for the second.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

the pink palermo wrote:I saw some terrible things yesterday at City,as a club they have sold their soul .I hope they think it was worth it .

Fake electronic flags and banners

Stats being popped up mid game,,,,,

And Englands only one , sorry I mean Number one , the token, Blue moon, you saw me standing alone

Be afraid for your future fellow Hammers because we're just 21 home games away from it .

Bright spot of the day was Aggureo's missus cutting me up at a junction trying to avoid a queue .He was in the passenger seat, but I could see why he wanted to get her home quickly , and it wasn't for a baked potato
He was with Maradona's daughter at one point. Unsure if they're still together.

I'd agree with some of your comments about the atmosphere but we haven't had a great deal to get excited about this season. There's been few highs and we need some real change in the team and in other areas too. There have been some incredible moments in recent seasons and nights like the 2-1 over Chelsea or 1-0 over United were awesome.

In fairness, we were gifted that first goal and it was very unfortunate for Collins. Navas was also unmarked for the second and I felt the game was flat by half time. It struck me that Allardyce is unable to motivate his players as you rarely troubled us. It had the feeling of a meaningless end of season match. I'll take the win every day of the week but it could've been a far better contest.

Until later...
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Just had a butchers at the heat maps on the official site.

Comparing yesterday with the reverse fixture win, Valencia played in almost identical positions in both fixtures. He actually covered mote central ground yesterday.

I don't buy that he's being injusticed by playing out of position. Our best form with Sakho & Valencia had both of them playing as wider strikers with Downing exploiting the space in the middle.

Downing has had a huge impact on our form. As has Allardyce not managing to motivate his players. The position of Valencia is one I am struggling with.

Thought he played well yesterday other than his usual lack of ball control.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Downing has had a huge impact on our form. As has Allardyce not managing to motivate his players. The position of Valencia is one I am struggling with.

Thought he played well yesterday other than his usual lack of ball control.
Agree with this, I thought Valencia and Jarvis were very good towards the end of the game yesterday, arguably Nolan as well. I'd be tempted to drop Downing in the next game, he has been far from his best for a long time and its about time we make the change, personally I would bring in Amalfitano, but wouldn't begrudge Allardyce bringing in Jarvis after yesterdays sub performance.
si_preston_hammer

Post by si_preston_hammer »

Another shocking performance, are they really professional footballers?!!!

There was just NO interest yesterday, abject.

After about the fifth time of happening my girlfriend said why do they keep passing it all the way back to the keeper, who then just hoofs it up in to the air, when they are already in City's half?

Substitutions!!! what was that all about? Was Nolan supposed to be up top with Valencia? BS just made a like for like change, we were 2-0 down!!!

I feel for you chaps who go week in week out, well certainly this last couple of months!
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Another disappointing afternoon in the cool sun of Manchester! getting to the point don't know completely what to say? Sam looked an idiot shouting at the fourth official! and looking back at it this morning not sure if Sam was correct!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

richneal wrote:Will leave the inquest to anyone else who wishes to attribute blame for the performance and the result, but the one thing that left me fuming today was the amount of times we gave away possession unnecessarily. Some culprits were worse than others, but lots of our mob gave the ball away needlessly.

It was remarkable. For long periods, we were repeatedly surrendering possession, because we literally couldn't link together three passes. In my view, it is a problem that has begun to affect the whole team.

Yesterday, we looked like a pub team.
Der-Hammer

Post by Der-Hammer »

frankiemac wrote: Surprised by our numbers up there today...maybe 800-1000...a third of the numbers spurs had at Newcastle today
tbf Spurs put on free planes to take their supporters up to Newcastle. If our club did that for us we'd probably sell out too
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Lethargic, unprofessional, weak, pathetic, insipid - you name it, we were it.

It does beg the question as to how the week was spent at training. There was absolutely no attempt made to win this game. We did not touch the ball, nor make any serious attempt to gain it, for the first 1 minute and 30 seconds of the game. Like most other things in the game, it only came our way when City failed to complete what they were up to. We forced virtually nothing.

What on earth did they practice? What attempts were made at motivation? What was the team talk? The fact that no changes were made at half time, meant simply that the manager must have been reasonably satisfied with the performance (or maybe the result).

We are 10th in the table, season's almost over, but we are a club in serious trouble! If we don't stop this rot, it could be hard to shift the mindset and it may well carry over to next season.

The club is basically taking money from the punters under false pretenses. It is shameful really. Away games outside London should be boycotted.

To me, it has the same sort of feel as when the manager conned those who travelled to Notts Forest in the cup last year.

There's little more to be said.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

The Old Mile End wrote:Lethargic, unprofessional, weak, pathetic, insipid - you name it.
Yep,

And West Ham were even worse......... :wink: