West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (02/05/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Burnley: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

10 goals is a bit unrealistic for a first season, not just in UK but in Europe. Plus half the season he has been playing out of position. Why is 10 goals that realistic in that context?

He often has to fashion his own chances which none of the rest of our players can do
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

£1 million per goal is often suggested as a good benchmark on here and I tend to agree. So I don't think 10 is unreasonable. It's Pinky's target not mine but I see the rationale.

Creating his own chances? Blimey a footballer doing that...isn't that what he's paid for?

Nolan set up Amalfitano for a sitter yesterday. Downing set up Valencia for a sitter.

We have players that create chances. We need to buy a new creative midfielder in the summer so hopefully that will lead to more chances again.
Crouchend_Hammer

£1 million per goal is often suggested as a good benchmark on here and I tend to agree. So I don't think 10 is unreasonable. It's Pinky's target not mine but I see the rationale.
Wizzo. You are better than throwing out the £1m a goal yardstick without taking into consideration other factors such as experience and where he has been played. Not just simple enough to say he should get 10 goals given how he has been used. He missed a clear chance yesterday, but not many over the season.

Anyway, another striker we have has more than trebled the £1m a goal output and Pinky still wants him out!
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Sun May 03, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Sam's insistence on defensive duties hinders our strikers...certainly track back but no need for them to be auxilliary full backs. Trust your defenders.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Well that was probably a bit ambitious for a first season in Europe IMHO. 8 would have been fair and he would have got that if used properly.
Yes, it's clearly all the manager's fault that Valencia failed to get on that sitter yesterday, or convert any other number of good chances he's squandered over the months.

:)
Crouchend_Hammer

What chances are these? Yesterday was a glaring miss, but there hasn't been too many.

It is the managers fault he has hardly been paired with another striker up top since the Everton cup game

At least he is fit enough to actually got on the pitch once in a while
Carlton's Boots

Post by Carlton's Boots »

So Enner Valencia now is our newest scapegoat. And Sakho apparently a striker, who has to score more goals. Who cares about developing players, as long as you can slate them after their first seasion in a european top-league. Typical :crest:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

the pink palermo wrote: 10 goals was the target i set him .
I knew it! You are Big Sam and I claim my five quid :D
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Carlton's Boots wrote:So Enner Valencia now is our newest scapegoat.:
For what?

This is a forum. To give your view on the strengths and weaknesses of a player is not to make them a scapegoat. It is to give your view on them in the interest of West Ham.

Scapegoat is shifting the responsibility for converting good goalscoring opportunities onto the shoulders of someone who isn't in control of taking the opportunity i.e the player who created the opportunity or the manager standing on the touchline.

Kouyate took his miss on the chin which Valencia put on a plate for him. Valencia should do the same for his squandered chances.
Crouchend_Hammer

I am sure he will take it on the chin. But he hasn't squandered that many chances overall.
Plus he can't be held responsible for being played out of position for half a season
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Nolan 1, Noble 1 (+1 pen) and Song 0. How many times have all three of them been on the pitch together? That's a problem.
It's THE problem. Nolan is done. Finished. One goal from a bloke who's made a career out of scoring goals from midfield and effectively defines the way we play? Nothing against the fella but he's had far too many minutes especially when the alternatives are legit (Downing, Malfi, Nene).

Song has always flattered to deceive. Noble smokes him for tangible contribution....
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Different players prompt varying levels of patience.

If I had to summarise Enner's season in a few sentences, I'd have to include:

1. One or two wonderstrikes
2. A passable but not exceptional tally of 5 goals so far,
3. Some howling misses, and
4. Flickers of creativity,bringing in some other players, for chances.

There are fine margins (we might have won last week, if Kouyate had scored a sitter created by Valencia), and obvious issues (he's not really a target man type of player, but needs have meant he's had that role at Goodison and elsewhere).

Its fun to compare his first season - and the reception he's had - with Tevez's only season with us.

For some, its heresy to even murmur the odd jibe about Carlitos and his meteoric rise to (near)legendary status...and, if you measured both careers in terms of money spent, maybe Andy Carroll in his new throne (that looks suspiciously like something fashioned out of a couple of fruit and veg stalls) wouldn't have as easy a ride as many are wont to give him.

I vote both Enner and Sakho have another season each.

I'm pretty sure that, if they did, at least one of them would improve his goal tally and become a proper cog in a better machine. For one of two to be a success is an improvement on some of the striking options we endured under Avram or Zola.
Crouchend_Hammer

Back four
Mikel
Song
Kouyate
Sigurdsson ( or similar)
Valencia or sakho
Austin or Bamford

Goals in that team. That is for sure
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Jenks was decent yesterday with his overlaps but the more I see of him the more I wouldnt pay anywhere near the 10 mill or whatever is being quoted for him. Not saying i wouldnt want him but dont think he is worth more than 6 mill, bare in mind we got cresswell for 4 mill. He is a great athlete but he is so one sided its unreal, one on one with a full back and he can't do anything, always has to pass back or just boots it into the defender.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

How much has our playing style honestly changed since this:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/15901825
Faubert's Boot
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

As i've stated before on another thread, Valencia is not going to score goals whilst played as a winger.

Consistency in his best position will produce goals, as it did at the start of the season.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I'd like to know where this 'best position' for Valencia is. When he was central yesterday he was lightweight and ineffective.
His best spell was out on the left where he wants to try to cut inside. I've seen him play better there a few times.
For some reason he is less effective on the right.
It's not his or the manager's fault if he is genuinely better as one of a pair but a decent partner is not available at the time.
Crouchend_Hammer

Carlton and Valencia would have been a perfectly decent front 2 yesterday, enabling both to play to their strengths
Valencia is not Andy Carroll. He should not be expected to be effective played up top on his own against two big centre halves. Did we not learn that with Maiga?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Valencia is not Andy Carroll. He should not be expected to be effective played up top on his own against two big centre halves. Did we not learn that with Maiga?
Unless their is interpassing through the middle which we dont seem to be capable of.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Valencia's "sitter" yesterday would have been easier if the ball had been crossed in front of him rather than behind.