West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (02/05/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Burnley: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

A proper DM like Mikel, song and kouyate in front of them, and then a better version of Downing at the tip (someone like Sigurdsson). Midfield sorted.
Front two will then have plenty of joy - Valencia and AN other for me with Sakho chomping at the bit on the bench
Crouchend_Hammer

I agree with Pinky; we are creating plenty of chances.
Apart from yesterday, Name some clear cut chances we have spurned in th last three months or so, especially ones the strikers spurned.

Sakho against Chelsea springs to mind. Can't think of too many more

Other teams create far more than we do
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote: You of all people worrying about 'recovering cost', though, it just seems crazy.

So, we get, say £20M for Enner and Sakho combined and then commit half of that on Defoe & RVP & Lambert's wages, knowing full well that we are simply giving all three of them decent retirement pensions?

If we're committed to selling our recent purchases, so as to recoup money we so senselessly wasted on the worst signing we have ever made, we've got to invest in some really hot shot strikers. to avoid going around in (ever decreasing??) circles...
I know it seems crazy but it's the practicalities of having to trade to stay competitive and within the rules our Chairman were so keen to bring in .

Still on our books we have

Maiga
Cole
Zarate
Carroll
Nene
Sakho
Valencia

The only two we can be sure to be rid of are Cole and Nene , the other 5 could all draw handsome salaries from us for a number of years .The fact that both Cole and Nene featured yesterday tells us plenty about the rest .

The only two we could get a fee for are the two I'm suggesting we peddle .
Carlton's Boots wrote:Yep, sell those two, who have their first season in a different league. Blimey. Immediate success isn't everything. They're human beings. Trust builds confidence. Hire and fire won'r work at a club with our, compared to the big boys, limited resources.
Fine, keep them , and pray they deliver 30 goals between them next season .I look forward to multiple posters commenting how they are only human after missing chance after chance .
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Nene looked class when he came on, some loveley touches and wasn't a lazy player.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I think we're creating as well. Maybe not in the same way we were before but the chances are being missed.

Kouyate V QPR.

Downing, Jenkinson, Valencia and Nolan V Leicester.

Just literally off the top of my head and all very clear cut chances. There plenty more if you go back and watch.

Sometimes at Premier League level you will only create a vlear cut chance or two a game. You have to take them. Fine lines.

I don't dismiss the view that the style has deteriorated, but I think it's just plain wrong to say we don't create enough chances. Particularly as the discussion seems to be taking place after a game where we recorded a Premier League high for attempts at goal in one half of fooball!

Their keeper made 4 or 5 truly excellent saves. 2 of which for me were nailed on for a goal that we didn't finish.

Adrian made 2 decent stops but they were both ones you would expect him to save by his standards.

Could easily have been 5-1. It wasn't, that's football.
Crouchend_Hammer

Fine, keep them , and pray they deliver 30 goals between them next season .I look forward to multiple posters commenting how they are only human after missing chance after chance .
They don't need to deliver 30 goals between them. Hardly any clubs have a 15 goal striker, let alone two that score 30 between them. We need more goals from elsewhere
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: They don't need to deliver 30 goals between them. Hardly any clubs have a 15 goal striker, let alone two that score 30 between them. We need more goals from elsewhere
So now we are absolving the strikers from scoring ?
Carlton's Boots

Post by Carlton's Boots »

the pink palermo wrote:Fine, keep them , and pray they deliver 30 goals between them next season .I look forward to multiple posters commenting how they are only human after missing chance after chance .
Instead we should sign several strikers season after season. Hire and fire.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Front two will then have plenty of joy - Valencia and AN other for me with Sakho chomping at the bit on the bench
I think Sakho will be more than chomping at the bit to be on the bench while a player he scores twice as many goals as is starting in his place.
Goals win games - you pick players up front who score regularly not might score regularly.
Crouchend_Hammer

So now we are absolving the strikers from scoring ?
Nope. But let's be realistic with their targets.
Only one of the chances Wizzo mentioned fell to a striker. Since Christmas we simply have not provided them with enough chances.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Since Christmas we simply have not provided them with enough chances.
Take me through Enners miss yesterday again .

5 yards out .Free shot on the turn .Saved .Was it not a gilt edged chance ?

How's that Sams fault ?
Crouchend_Hammer

Yes I agree he missed one yesterday. All strikers do. Was a great save though. It is not as though he scuffed it
He has not had too many more in the last 4 months though, and Sakho hasn't missed too many chances at all.
Earlier in the season he had one of the best goals to chances ratio in the Premiership
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Not turning genuine goalscoring opportunities into goals throughout the entire season has been a weakness at this club for nearly every season that I have supported them.
I generally expect our players to miss chances so I am pleasantly surprised when they score :)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Yes I agree he missed one yesterday. All strikers do. Was a great save though. It is not as though he scuffed it
He has not had too many more in the last 4 months though
5 goals all season .It's everyone else's fault .

Of course .
Crouchend_Hammer

I think Sakho will be more than chomping at the bit to be on the bench while a player he scores twice as many goals as is starting in his place.
Goals win games - you pick players up front who score regularly not might score regularly.
Fair enough. However, I think Valencia is the better player of the two if played up front in a pair and a better long term prospect.
Those two, plus another striker who is fundamentally known for putting the ball in the box and that will be a solid trio. My choice would be Bamford if possible, or Austin. Backed up by a 4th striker who can do a job off the bench or as a starter against lesser teams. Carlton of last season for example
Crouchend_Hammer

5 goals all season .It's everyone else's fault .

Of course .
Not many games played up front. Never played in Europe before. What you expecting from him?

Still waiting for the gilt edged chances he has missed, except the one yesterday.

He can shoot from distance, is good in the air. Just needs time to acclimatise and be played in a position that suits him
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:People in general are far more likely to post when they're unhappy or want to complain. You could draw the inference that a small match thread means most are broadly satisfied with what went on.
As a quick scroll through the Match Thread archive Forum reveals...

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Not many games played up front. Never played in Europe before. What you expecting from him?
10 goals was the target i set him .
Crouchend_Hammer

Well that was probably a bit ambitious for a first season in Europe IMHO. 8 would have been fair and he would have got that if used properly. He had 3 in 6 by 1st November when paired up top with sakho. Since then he has been pushed from pillar to post
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Still waiting for the gilt edged chances he has missed, except the one yesterday.
Perhaps because it's unnecessary to dig out every chance he's missed just to highlight a wider point about the chances we generally create.

Valencia has made some poor decisions in scoring positions this season but he will do, it's first season here and he deserves an amount of leeway. Doesn't mean they don't happen though. Most games he'll fashion a chance and either drag a shot wide with others waiting for a tap in or blaze over. He'll also hit the back of the net too. Pinky's expectations aren't unrealistic though. Particularly with what we spent on him.