Newcastle 2-0 West Ham Utd (24/05/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Re: Newcastle v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by chappo59 »

Humbug wrote:Poor old Carlton. Played most of his career under managers (exception Zola) , with his back to goal jumping for high long balls. Never had the opportunity to run forward into space because we never had a midfielder capable of threading a pass to him. What a waste!!
He's loveable mate but he can no longer run the first 3 yards are in his diary
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

59% possession and 1 shot on target, pathetic really
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

What was our one shot?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Billydinho wrote:What was our one shot?

Downings sitter.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Strangely thought we might have ended on a high after the Adrian save and then nearly equalising , never wanted a game to end so much as I did today . Hope the appointed is quick and a few players lift us to get mojo back still not long till July 4 th and the European adventure
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Iron Spine v2.0 wrote:Another disgusting display leaving me once again livid with what I'm watching. What on earth were we doing with the dead ball today? Just baffling. Another in a seemingly endless display of clueless, abject 2015 football.

I'm not naive enough to think that we have a divine right to qualify for european football via league position, however, to sink from 3rd to 12th in the manner we did, comparable to an English batting collapse, is utterly unforgivable in my view. EVERYONE shares the blame in this rotting away of our season. Sam, the Daves and the players. Everyone ( bar Sahko and Adrian imo) should be thoroughly ashamed at what they allowed to happen here.

Song has been utter pony since the festive season and we'd be stupid to bring him in permanently. Cresswell, for all the potential, hasn't been anywhere near as good as lots are making out, and like everyone else for the most part, has declined since the new year. Defensively, the guy is a complete liability at the moment. Sadly, Noble has regressed at an alarming rate, and should count himself lucky he starts games these days.

Cole, as much as I love him, and Nolan, as much as I have apathy for him, both need to be looking at newer pastures before the new season. Thanks, but no thanks anymore. I had a lot of time for Amalfitano at the start of the season, but, as previously mentioned, the bloke seems to be brainless and a red card waiting to happen, even today lunging in needlessly after the ball was long gone.

Adrian, hold your head up high, even whilst others continued to fail around you, you still proved yourself to be a superb player today. About the only positive to take from today from the game for me.
Adrian, Collins and Burke can hold their heads up high since Christmas. Injured players apart, the rest have been poor. Cresswell's side leaks crosses that lead to goals constantly, since signing his contract Noble has been a 5/10 every week, has Valencia had a shot since Palace at home?

Big decisions to be made in the summer. If some of those start next season like they finished it, we are in deep doodoo.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Not long home after a fantastic two days in Newcastle, spoiled by yet another lacklustre West Ham performance.

The first half wasn't too bad, entertainment wise and the away crowd were in good voice for the first 20 mins or so. It wasn't sustained though and the more the game went on, the less the crowd were involved. As for the second half, there were so many people sitting down, it spoke volumes as to what was happening on field. When Newcastle scored their first, the general consensus around us was 'that's it, game over', and so it proved.

The substitutions were, yet again, strange to say the least. Nolan and Cole doing the full 90? Why? 1-0 down and a like for like defensive change? What had Burke done wrong exactly? Also, had Valencia taken a knock? Not that we noticed, so why did he have to go off. OK, I'll concede that he he brought Elliot Lee on to gain some experience, which a number of us have said he should have done in previous games, but shouldn't Nolan have been the one to replace?

Chatting with the Geordies for a lot of our time pre-game and they all believed we'd turn them over. They obviously hadn't read Sams script. Considering he'd said during the week that he wanted the win to help out his mate Steve Bruce, he can't be that much of a mate going by our performance today.

To lose 2-0 to the team that were bottom of the post Christmas form table was indefensible. There was no excuse today. Everyone, from the Board, Players, (ex) Manager, back room staff and even Doris the tea lady should probably take at least some of the blame.
Thedogsbilic

Post by Thedogsbilic »

Another gutless performance with the highlight being Adrian making the stop with the 3 Newcastle players bearing down on him, nice send off for Carlton who has been great for us in his time with us but age seems to be catching up with him now, as for the fat controller I hope he gets the Real Madrid job he thinks he's good enough for...

Had a good time drinking with the locals after the game, they do know how to party!!!
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

The geordies i spoke to were over the moon it was us they had last game.

Says it all really.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Unless you actually went to the game, (well done to those insane folk who did) I really don't understand why people are surprised or upset.

This had Newcastle to nil written all over it. We were never going to have a go today, even if we had something to play for Sam would have kept it tight. The anger some are expressing seems to stem from some sort of delusion that we'd have a real go at them.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

fjthegrey wrote: We were never going to have a go today, even if we had something to play for.
Had we won yesterday the club would have won an additional £2.5m in Sky merit money .

That's one senior players wages for a whole season .
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

the pink palermo wrote:
Had we won yesterday the club would have won an additional £2.5m in Sky merit money .

Yep. 16pts in our last 19 games (2nd half of the season) just was never good enough, relegation form. Looking forward to what transpires over the summer from a managerial and squad point of view
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Simply Moore wrote:Yep. 16pts in our last 19 games (2nd half of the season) just was never good enough, relegation form.
Someone should tell most of the media this because they all seem to think that we are stupid for getting rid of a manger who could only muster this. We'd have finished bottom if we'd had that form all season.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

the pink palermo wrote:Had we won yesterday the club would have won an additional £2.5m in Sky merit money .

And why would our players or manager give a **** about that, really?

That's not a motivation for anyone on the pitch yesterday.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Elliot Lee looked lively when he came on.

Looked like when someone leaves their finger on the sprint button on FIFA.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Billydinho wrote:Elliot Lee looked lively when he came on.

Looked like when someone leaves their finger on the sprint button on FIFA.
:lol:
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

We went from a free kick just outside their area to defending like mad in under 5 seconds, a few minutes later we did exactly the same from a corner.
Infuriating, sloppy mistakes........
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

delbert wrote:We went from a free kick just outside their area to defending like mad in under 5 seconds, a few minutes later we did exactly the same from a corner.
Infuriating, sloppy mistakes........
Agreed and the worst part of that was that, when it became 3 vs Adrian, at least one of our players was seemingly jogging back as if maximum effort was no longer necessary.

We can just about let go on the 2nd, because it appeared to be going wide before deflected, but the first goal was a shambles defensively too.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

prophet:marginal wrote:
Agreed and the worst part of that was that, when it became 3 vs Adrian, at least one of our players was seemingly jogging back as if maximum effort was no longer necessary.

We can just about let go on the 2nd, because it appeared to be going wide before deflected, but the first goal was a shambles defensively too.
The second was still poor though, we looked pedestrian, like we couldn't give a monkeys. Some managers who win 4-1, or by something similar, but concede a goal like that would rip into their players after to make them realise that it's unacceptable, I doubt it would have happened in our dressing room.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

It was again sad to see another unprofessional performance from this managers team. Hopefully this is the last one, although sometimes these habits can be hard to break, despite removing the man at the helm.

It did border on farce at times. Six in the box with a free kick near the wing. Both centre backs unmarked at the far post. No one covering at the back. And we decide to pass it short to a man under pressure who promptly loses the ball leaving them with a free run the length of the field three against one (well saved Adrian). Cresswell did make it back, Song was half paced and ended up about 20 metres behind, Tomkins got back about half way into his own half. School kids stuff.

Despite the first half possession, there was just one attempt at goal, and that was debatable. I'd say Downing was actually passing the ball square and didn't attempt to shoot. The keeper saved it, his only one of the day!

So many unprofessional turn outs from Sam Allardyce's teams these last few months. I'm not for changing managers based on results. I'm for change when managers have lost control, or are out of their depth, or cannot motivate the players, or are generally damaging the clubs reputation. I have been appalled by Sam's poor work ethic and total disregard to the paying punters.

Never has a manager caused so much devide amongst West Ham fans. These performances have made it so hard to run supporters clubs around the world.

At least we don't have to listen to his football philosophy any more. Lets hope we can move on quickly.
:crest: