West Ham Utd 2-0 1860 Munich (19/05/65)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

West Ham Utd 2-0 1860 Munich (19/05/65)

Post by Up the Junction »

50 years ago today West Ham became Kings of Europe with what is widely considered to be the club's greatest achievement.

In order to mark this important anniversary of West Ham's famous win over 1860 Munich, at 7.30pm tonight (the time the actual game kicked off) anyone who wishes to join me can take part in this match thread

If you don't have a copy of the match handy, you may find a video of the entire game here:

https://youtu.be/6W6npxHBuRs

So feel free to start your video dead on 7.30pm and join in!

Team Line-Ups

West Ham Utd

GK 1 Jim Standen
DF 2 Joe Kirkup
DF 3 Jack Burkett
MF 4 Martin Peters
DF 5 Ken Brown
DF 6 Bobby Moore (c)
MF 7 Alan Sealey
MF 8 Ron Boyce
FW 9 Geoff Hurst
FW 10 Brian Dear
MF 11 John Sissons

Manager: Ron Greenwood

1860 Munich

GK Petar Radenković
DF Manfred Wagner
DF Hans Reich
DF Wilfried Kohlars
DF Stevan Bena
MF Otto Luttrop
MF Alfred Heiss
MF Hans Küppers
MF Rudi Brunnenmeier (c)
FW Peter Grosser
FW Hans Rebele

Manager: Max Merkel
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v 1860 Munich: match thread

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Just to add an extra dimension to it:

Over or under 4.5 first half corners? for everyone to wager on?

Obviously this is presuming everyone hasn't fastidiously studied all aspects of the match and know the result!

Losers pay their stake to the BMF?

I'm happy to go in with £10 on over 4.5 first half corners.
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue May 19, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Why not? And no, I haven't RARS!

When I say 'you', I mean everyone else, of course! :)

(Now edited)
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I'll have £10 on Sealey 1st goal 12/1
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Whufc06 wrote:I'll have £10 on Sealey 1st goal 12/1
You sure, mate? I still have my doubts over Sealey, personally, I wouldn't play him. Rather have Peter Brabrook. Hopefully, we win and kick start a reign of dominance in English and European football.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

9/4 West Ham United ......... 5-2 Draw .......... TSV Munich 6-5

No idea.........but reading from history it might have been something in these ranges.

Munich were favourites I believe with West Hams home advantage supressing their price a little.....maybe 5-2 West Ham.

Would be interesting to know.....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Match Preview

West Ham will field an all-English XI when they face 1860 Munich in tonight's Cup Winners' Cup Final at Wembley. The German line-up consists of nine home grown players and two Yugoslavs, goalkeeper Petar Radenković and defender Stevan Bena.

Munich's 47-year-old Vienna-born manager Max Merkel is one of a handful of players to have represented two countries at international level during his playing career, having featured for both Germany and his native Austria. A former Dutch international manager, he has been in charge at 1860 for the past four years.

On the opposing bench, 44-year-old Ron Greenwood returns to Wembley for the second time in 12 months having captured the FA Cup this time last year when his young Hammers side beat Preston 3-2 in a thriller. A former Arsenal and England 'B' coach, the Worsthorne-born boss has been in charge at the Boleyn Ground since April 1961 when he replaced Ted Fenton (whose sudden exit has never been fully explained).

Tonight's referee with be Hungarian official Istvan Zsolt.

The Route to the Final - West Ham United

Round 1: La Gantoise (aka Genk) (agg 2-1)
West Ham began their 64/65 European tour with a trip to Belgium, where Ronnie Boyce's 52nd-minute header was enough to secure a narrow advantage ahead of the return leg. To the dismay of the home fans (who responded with jeers and slow hand-claps) the part-timers took the lead when Martin Peters scored a howler of an own goal on the half-hour mark, but Budgie Byrne saved the day with a 43rd minute equaliser.

Round 2: Spartak Prague (agg 3-2)
Drawn at home in the first leg, the Hammers put themselves in a commanding position for the trip to Czechoslovakia with second half goals from John Bond - a 25-yard scorcher - and Alan Sealey. When John Sissons made it 3-0 on aggregate early on in Prague the tie was all but over, although the Hammers were to return to London disppointed with their night's work as a brace from Mraz made it 2-1 on the night. Jim Standen had also saved a penalty when the game was still 1-0.

Quarter Finals: Lausanne (agg 6-4)
A tricky tie on paper as the opposition contained no less than seven Swiss internationals - many of whom are likely to feature in next year's World Cup Finals here in England - yet the Hammers returned from Lausanne with a 2-1 win fron the first leg courtesy of strikes from Brian Dear (on his Euro debut) and Johnny Byrne. Robert Hosp's late consolation gave the hosts hope, however - and when Kerkhoff opened the scoring at the Boleyn just before half time in the second leg, West Ham were rocking. Ely Tacchella's own goal and another from Dear made it 4-2 on aggregate ahead of half time, but Lausanne refused to lie down and Hetig reduced the deficit to one, just three minutes after the restart. Martin Peters then made it 3-2 on the night and 5-3 on aggregate before Eschman's overhead kick ten minutes from time left the Swiss needing just one more to take the tie to a play-off. But cometh the hour, cometh the man - and in the final minute of normal time Dear stepped up to smash home his second of the night to send the Hammers through to the semi finals.

Semi Finals: Real Zaragoza (agg 3-2)
It probably won't be the last time it happens at West Ham, but Ron Greenwood was booed by Hammers fans after the first leg - despite securing a 2-1 advantage to take to Spain. Goals from Brian Dear - his eighth in eight games - and Johnny Byrne put the Hammers two-up within 25 minutes, a lead they hold until half time. But Greenwood's tactical changes mean West Ham play the second half with nine defenders in a desperate attempt to retain their two-goal advantage. It fails as Brazilian right-half Canario - one of Real's 'Magnificent Five' - scores early on in the half. For the first time in the competition West Ham found themselves in some considerable trouble when Carlos Lapetra levelled the tie on 24 minutes, only for Johnny Sissons to send West Ham into the Final with a 54th-minute equaliser. Real's concerted protests - they were denied three penalty appeals by Dutch referee Leo Horn - are brushed aside.

The Route to the Final - 1860 Munich

The Germans couldn't have wished for an easier start to their campaign having been paired with (the now-defunct) Union Luxembourg, who they beat 4-0 and 6-0 to secure a 10-0 aggregate win. However it was a far tougher task in the next round when Porto provided the opposition. A 1-0 win in Portugal proved vital, and the 1-1 draw in the return leg was enough for Munich to proceed to the quarter finals where they faced Polish side Legia Warsaw.

A 4-0 win at the Legia Warsaw Municipal Stadium of Marshal Józef Piłsudski (aka the Polish Army Stadium) meant the return leg was a formality, but one from which the Poles still managed to take some pride by earning a goalless draw. In stark contrast, the semi final proved to be a spectacular affair played somewhat unusually over three ties. Munich were forced to recover from a 2-0 defeat in the first leg away to Torino in order to progress to the final. In the return tie they eked out a 3-1 win to send the tie into a play-off (the away goals rule does not exist in 1965!), which they won 2-0 in a soaking-wet Zurich.

The Weather
It's a very pleasant 18 °C here in London this afternoon ahead of tonight's game. No rain is expected.

Doctor_Whu
Has liked: 5 likes

Post by Doctor_Whu »

Seriously looking forward to this tonight. IF, and I mean if, we win I'm certain we will kick on and it'll only be a matter of time until we are Division One champions. Wonder what odds you could get on a Bobby Moore treble next year?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Where's everyone meeting up for this? Not that it matters to me as I was only conceived two months ago.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Ricardo

Re: West Ham Utd v 1860 Munich: retro match thread

Post by Ricardo »

Just found this in the archives

хостинг картинок
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

That's handy, Ric :thup:
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Feel free to delete, not sure what the cyrillic bumf at the bottom is?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Not confident about this at all. Budgie out weakens us considerably.

Gonna have a right ol' jolly up, win or lose.

Where is everyone else standing?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Dunno yet, but I'll look for you in the pub first. Get us a pint of Mild and 20 Craven A's, will ya? I'll pay you back the 4 pence on Friday.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Stick
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I just hope we attack cor blimey love a duck. The old hun don't like it up em guvnor.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Georgee Paris wrote:I just hope we attack cor blimey love a duck. The old hun don't like it up em guvnor.
Save it for the match, daddy o.