ELQ1: Lusitanos 0-1 West Ham Utd (09/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Re: FC Lusitans V West Ham United (Second Leg) - Match Thread

Post by ballantine »

This thread is going round in circles now. Aren't there any other matches none of us did watch that we can argue about instead?
Wiltshire Ham err...
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Wiltshire Ham err... »

Watching those brief highlights and Elliot Lees interview it looks like the squad did the job they were asked to and Lees comment about looking after the youngsters who were being targetted suggests they tried to take the approach of not getting involved.
We didn't concede - I'm sure we had more in the tank if it had been needed and we are through. The guts and glory matches will come later in the competition.

Well done to those who went and supported too.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Watching the highlights, that was a definite pen for the challenge on Lee.

Anyway, job done. We had ten men, opposition with only one objective, half a youth team, new management, and the first-teamers included were either coming back from injuries or haven't played regularly for a while. Wasn't keen on that missed interception by Poyet (I think) that led to their disallowed goal though.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: This is not a dig, but did you watch either game?

No i did not. I was on holiday for the first leg. I fully accept that I am not really in a position to comment about how we played, whether we were unlucky etc etc. I was merely saying i expected us to get more than 4 goals. I landed in Las Vegas at pretty much the exact time of the final whistle of the first leg, switched on my phone and was fully expecting to see at least 6, so was a little surprised to see only 3. Similar with the away leg. I forgot it started early so only saw the result half way through the 2nd half, and again, was expecting to see more than the single goal.

Happy we are through, happy the youngsters played, happy we didn't get any injured. Just surprised we did not manage more from an offensive point of view given the players who played and quality of the opposition

unfortunately i am on holiday next week as well so will miss the Maltese home game
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

ALL PHOTOS IN SEPARATE THREAD...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Question for those who went last night, was there an official programme or was it just a team sheet? Cheers.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Just a team sheet that contains a few odd names in our line up. I think they used the middle names of a few of our players
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

Read a few of the recent pages.

I am thinking that most of the people on here who are not understanding why we didn't rack up the goals are not regular attendees at early pre season games.

You will never see what in effect was the second pre season friendly game being played at anything other than trot around the pitch level. What you see are matches played to strict guidelines and that is what has happened in these last two games and the same will happen tomorrow at Peterborough. At this stage of pre season stuff like shots on goal are about as relevant as the colour of the kit. The only tangible aim was progression to the next round and that was achieved comfortably.

Last nights performance was job done, that was all that matters. It was not about willy waving and trying to play like Barcelona and winning 5-0. If our team had played at full pelt like some on here were demanding then we would have run the risk of injuries as make no mistake Lusitans were a nasty cynical little outfit with no hesitation of putting the boot in.

Like most who were there I have no idea why Sakho was sent off. Many of us were not even aware he had been sent off until it became obvious that he was not being replaced by a substitute.

As a spectacle the game was rubbish. Those of us there suspected it would be, but most of us have been there and done that so knew exactly what to expect.
Riz Ortolani

Post by Riz Ortolani »

it's preseason for them too, and for all the the other clubs that tonked them in previous years. isn't it?

nobody has suggested we should have played a full strength side and gone all gung-ho. only that the side we fielded should have had the quality to beat them by a greater margin with little effort.

it speaks to our absolute lack of quality in the fringes, not our fitness levels or exertion on the day.

i can appreciate the importance of not picking up injuries, blooding youngsters, "getting the job done", and all other factors mentioned. it doesn't take away from the fact that this is the best result lusitans have ever had in european competition, in which they've previously played such illustrious outfits as FK Rabotnicki, NK Varazdin, Valletta, and EB/Streymur.

no gripes against the result. the result's fab, the result's a bit of alright. but a premier league second string forward line should have rained goals.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

I've read 2 posters say we got through with no injuries.
The club told us the reason why Zarate didn't play last night was because he was injured from the 1st game.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Kialos wrote:Read a few of the recent pages.

I am thinking that most of the people on here who are not understanding why we didn't rack up the goals are not regular attendees at early pre season games.

You will never see what in effect was the second pre season friendly game being played at anything other than trot around the pitch level. What you see are matches played to strict guidelines and that is what has happened in these last two games and the same will happen tomorrow at Peterborough. At this stage of pre season stuff like shots on goal are about as relevant as the colour of the kit. The only tangible aim was progression to the next round and that was achieved comfortably.

Last nights performance was job done, that was all that matters. It was not about willy waving and trying to play like Barcelona and winning 5-0. If our team had played at full pelt like some on here were demanding then we would have run the risk of injuries as make no mistake Lusitans were a nasty cynical little outfit with no hesitation of putting the boot in.

Like most who were there I have no idea why Sakho was sent off. Many of us were not even aware he had been sent off until it became obvious that he was not being replaced by a substitute.

As a spectacle the game was rubbish. Those of us there suspected it would be, but most of us have been there and done that so knew exactly what to expect.
What she said! :thup:
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

Riz Ortolani wrote:it's preseason for them too, and for all the the other clubs that tonked them in previous years. isn't it?

nobody has suggested we should have played a full strength side and gone all gung-ho. only that the side we fielded should have had the quality to beat them by a greater margin with little effort.

it speaks to our absolute lack of quality in the fringes, not our fitness levels or exertion on the day.

i can appreciate the importance of not picking up injuries, blooding youngsters, "getting the job done", and all other factors mentioned. it doesn't take away from the fact that this is the best result lusitans have ever had in european competition, in which they've previously played such illustrious outfits as FK Rabotnicki, NK Varazdin, Valletta, and EB/Streymur.

no gripes against the result. the result's fab, the result's a bit of alright. but a premier league second string forward line should have rained goals.
You are entitled to your opinion, I don't agree with it.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

We won 4-0 on aggregate, we're in the next round, we get another cracking sunny evening over the old place for a tenner (personally LOVED the home leg for those reasons & got a different seat marked off of East Stand Upper on my "Boleyn Bucket List"!!)

Really, anything else is just debate for debates sake. Using fringe players, watching the likes of Oxford & Poyet get game time in the first team in front of 35k.. Winning 4-0 with no pre season causalties - literally NOTHING to moan about.

Seriously. Nothing. We're through
mdennis

Post by mdennis »

Me and Little MD just got home after spending the day travelling! I'm shattered! First of all, what a lovely place, the drive up from Barcelona was stunning although I'm still a tad jealous we didn't drive down from Toulouse as that sounded even better. Lovely place, lovely people, lovely hotel with a decent pool to go with it. Shame there wasn't one large square where all the West Ham could congregate but we did find a decent little area to have a sing song and scare the locals! Great to meet some new faces and some old ones.

The game itself was a bit of a blur to be honest. No idea what Sakho did to warrant a red card, someone said he clocked someone after some handbags but I didn't see it. Elliot took his goal really, really well. He had a bit of time to think about the shot and he opened his body up superbly to slot it low to the keepers left. Attack wise I thought we were a little subdued but I think they were too worried out the theatrics to go near one of their players! Credit to the FC Lusitans players though because at the end of the match, they all came over to clap our supporters! Nice touch. Defensively I thought we were exposed too often. Not really sure what that comes down to, maybe them raising their game as they're at home perhaps? They did go in heavy a few times on Oxford and I thought that affected him slightly, but hey ho, he's a 16 year old playing against a pub side, he'll learn. All in all, a job done, maybe not well done, but done nonetheless. Onwards and upwards... COYI!
Riz Ortolani

Post by Riz Ortolani »

Kialos wrote: You are entitled to your opinion, I don't agree with it.
and you're entitled to that :thup:
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

Got a couple more hours in Barcelona after the match, 2 minutes from the beach if anyone wants to join us for a beer.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Ricardo wrote:Question for those who went last night, was there an official programme or was it just a team sheet? Cheers.
No programmes, only a rapidly photocopied team sheet that were distributed, initially, for free but once the hosts realised people wanted them, they went to the other end of our row of seats and tried to sell them for €5 :raver:

taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

massive learning chance for our youngsters and massive chance for a couple of seasoned pros to help our youngsters through to round two. job done the score doesn't matter.
DjBelz

Post by DjBelz »

Some interesting names on the team sheet... Charles Tomkins :lol: ! Nice attempt Sir but you are going to need to come up with something more sexy than that that to win a first team place now that Ogbonna is here ..
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

What a great weekend, I love Andorra, went out to temple bar last night and Lusitanos players were in there, such a friendly lot. One of the best trips of my life. :crest: The drive from Toulouse was amazing too.