ELQ2: West Ham Utd 1-0 Birkirkara (16/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Birkirkara (1st leg): match thread

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote:Truth is, Nolan was no better nor any worse than the vast majority of his team mates last night.
I thought he did alright personally.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Aztec Hammer wrote:It's so, so easy to knock Nolan because his legs are gone and he doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I cannot recall a swifter fall from grace.
Three hackneyed cliches in one sentence to form the basis of your argument kind of illustrates what I'm saying, Aztec.

Ask yourself why you dug Nolan and Maiga out but nobody else, despite none of them playing particularly well last night.
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Not a massive Nolanhater but thought he was absolutely dire yesterday? Oh well
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

ballantine wrote:I can understand why people are disappointed. After all, our players were supposed to get so much better and more exciting with the new manager.
You can't polish a turd but you can throw glitter on it.
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Neil Orr fan club wrote:What is it with some people and Zarate . Fully expected him to get MOTM last night. Would have been surprised if it was anyone else . By far our most dangerous player , OK sometimes he loses it , but at least offering something different and posing a threat by running at people . Him aside , see enough square 10 yard passes to last a season
There are certain players that are tagged with a label from day one. Seems most on here would rather watch Jarvis knock a ball down the line, accelerate a little faster than the full back then dink a crap cross into the box that is easily cleared. Not my cup of tea. Not a premier league footballer. Zarate offers an unpredictability which players like Jarvis are too one track to even get near.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Three hackneyed cliches in one sentence to form the basis of your argument kind of illustrates what I'm saying, Aztec.

Ask yourself why you dug Nolan and Maiga out but nobody else, despite none of them playing particularly well last night.
I don't know how else I could put across my observations of Nolan though UTJ. I could go into detail of my opinion that Nolan is having a hard time, getting to the loose ball before his opponent, anticipating the game like he once did and getting his head up to have a look at what's around him when he receives the ball, but the hackneyed cliches are more succinct.

I'm not digging out any of the players as such, because I like to think that would be c*nting them off vocally at games (which I NEVER do) rather than words on a forum. But I think if I were to answer why I have focused on Nolan, Maiga and Jarvis, it's because their performances have been accumulated over a substantial period of time. As opposed to someone like Cresswell or Amalfitano having a torrid game, which would be more of an anomaly and would probably cause me to give them more leeway.

Again though, my observations on Nolan and whoever else it may be that are critical or negative don't extend beyond these pages. At the games, I despise those that boo or get on the backs of them.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

The highlights showed what it sounded like on the radio. Chances to score in the first half but next to nothing in the second. If this was a friendly, we would be saying there is plenty of time to fix things before the season starts. But as it is, there is a concern about the attacking players of our squad. Have we got the players to create enough chances over the season and do we have those needed to score them? I would be worried if that front six played more often than not.

Anyone know officially how long Sakho's ban if for?

It looks like Payet was sent off 2 seasons ago for 2 yellows, so is he available next game?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Iron Mark wrote:The highlights showed what it sounded like on the radio. Chances to score in the first half but next to nothing in the second. If this was a friendly, we would be saying there is plenty of time to fix things before the season starts. But as it is, there is a concern about the attacking players of our squad. Have we got the players to create enough chances over the season and do we have those needed to score them? I would be worried if that front six played more often than not.

Anyone know officially how long Sakho's ban if for?

It looks like Payet was sent off 2 seasons ago for 2 yellows, so is he available next game?
Sakho got a 3 game ban. Payet would be 1 but don't think he'll be registered until the next round?
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Amalfitano, Zarate, Jarvis showed again why they are bit players in a mid table team. Shame, it was their time to shine.
Modibo (offside) Maiga will never adapt to the English way of playing.
Nolan and Noble shouldn't be in the same side (but we knew that already), but Noble lost the ball more.
The Youth team players played better in the previous round.
Bilic appeared to play an Allardyce team (I wonder why?)
I actually enjoyed the game. Typical West Ham, totally dominate but fail to score with a plentitude of opportunities.
At least we didn't lose. :wink:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Aztec Hammer wrote:I don't know how else I could put across my observations of Nolan though UTJ...
I thought you did a pretty good job there :)
Aztec Hammer wrote:...it's because their performances have been accumulated over a substantial period of time.
Fair dos. I would have hoped that all players would be given a clean slate given that we have a new manager, but appreciate your honesty.
Aztec Hammer wrote:As opposed to someone like ... Amalfitano having a torrid game, which would be more of an anomaly and would probably cause me to give them more leeway.
I suppose it's all about opinions, but I don't subscribe to the fuss over Amalfitano. I think he plays in fits and starts and has rarely had a good 90 minutes for us.
Aztec Hammer wrote:Again though, my observations on Nolan and whoever else it may be that are critical or negative don't extend beyond these pages.
I guess that's what we're here for!
Slavish

Post by Slavish »

Sam Nolan. Sam JOB. Sam Jussi and Sam Taylor before them. Sam Carroll too unless he comes back and starts scoring immediately.

All seem to get irrational levels of stick.

Can't for the life of me think what the link is that sees those players get such a hard time :)
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

UTJ, I hold my hands up that I haven't given Nolan a clean slate. I've taken into account his performances for the last couple of seasons and perhaps under a new management, I should indeed subscribe to the clean slate for everyone. My main concern with Nolan is that he doesn't really have a position that suits his qualities anymore. But hopefully he just needs the ball to drop right for him once and he'll rediscover some confidence and goals. :thup:

For what it's worth, I couldn't agree more regarding Amalfitano performing in fits and starts. I should have named someone else who has performed well more consistently.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Aztec - that's a cracking reply as to your feelings on Nolan. Intelligent & articulately put mate

I guess as supporters we're all prone to set opinions about certain players - good & bad & ugly

Said by someone who nearly had fist fights defending Carlton, Fred Sears & Matty Taylor, but would admit that I just don't or didn't see owt beyond the flaws in Maiga, Geoff Pike & LBM...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Aztec Hammer wrote:UTJ, I hold my hands up that I haven't given Nolan a clean slate. I should indeed subscribe to the clean slate for everyone.
To tell the truth, I'm in the same boat with Zarate. Not easy, is it!
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Didn't understand the treatment of Nolan to be fair, noble was far poorer,
Sat by the Tunnel not far from some dickhead who kept shouting "we're not Arsenal you know, just shoot"
Not a great game but still better than sitting in doors watching TV
Slavish

Post by Slavish »

Not easy UTJ, but frustrating.

Amalfitano is erratic in the extreme, and I still struggle to forgive him for his petulance at West Brom in the Cup. Zarate seems to play exclusively for himself. As did Ravel. All 3 have been cut ridiculous amounts of slack, well over and above any loyalty they've actually earned through their performances on the pitch.

On the other hand, solid team players, all of whom have contributed significantly to the position of stability we now find ourselves in, are regularly on the receiving end of some real vicious stuff.

It's actually more sad than frustrating.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Football aside I had a great time.

Maiga nearly won our hearts again.... I'll never give up on you Modibo

Joey O'Brien trying what seemed to be some double stepover type move and falling over was a highlight.

Nolan wasn't happy to go off that or he wasn't happy that a lot of the crowd were on his back.

We had no cutting edge... is Payet going to give us this? or is it the Argie rumoured to be joining us?

We haven't had a Yossi in a long time we really need it to open up teams like this.
Markeetee
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Markeetee »

Who took the corner that Tomkins scored from? It said on Official Site that it was Cresswell, but it was taken right footed?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

The Rebirth wrote:

Maiga nearly won our hearts again.... I'll never give up on you Modibo
Ain't that the truth. The low drive in the first half hits the back of the net he's full of confidence, Birkirkara fall to sh't and he bags another before being taken off to a standing ovation

That goal at WHL alone gives him more time from me. Walking to the station after the match in the pissing down rain with a smile from ear to ear. He's clearly got something and hopefully Billic can get it out of him
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2942 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Rocketron wrote:.
The Youth team players played better in the previous round.
Truest comment in the thread .

They of course have not spent six weeks glugging Cristal , scoffing pizza and going to nightclubs .

Unlike the players we watched last night .