ELQ2: West Ham Utd 1-0 Birkirkara (16/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Birkirkara (1st leg): match thread

Post by Billy Hunt »

Yea Why Not wrote:I don't know what was funnier, Zarate's MOTM award or Joey falling over himself while running down the wing

I thought that was Jarvis' best performance for us last night (I know, thats not saying much). Shame we've never seen him play like that when he's got someone in the box to hit
You know what Yea Why Not, I pretty much agree with that, Jarvis did put a lovely low ball over to Nolan a the far post who just got eased out by the defender too, so not all floaty aimless crosses too.

JOB's comedy falling over made me genuinely LOL whilst Zarate's man of the match made me WTF - so JOB wins that one for me
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Nolan wasnt ****, he sat in the middle and did what he was meant to.

O'Brien looked **** though, it was funny when he tried to turn on da skilz and fell over.

Zarates MOTM, I'm not sure what for - a lot of dribbling when he shouldve passed with little end product.

The young lad Samuelsen looked good.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Maiga and Nolan were sh*te
Let's dig both of those out, because it's what all the cool kids do. :oops:

Maiga has no confidence whatsoever, but came really close to a cracking goal.

Nolan made some good runs and was unlucky not to get a shot off before being pushed off it by one of their defenders.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Digging them out because it's what the cool kids do. Ridiculous.

It's a forum, don't be so precious. Maigas hardly going to read this and have his confidence further knocked.

He's not even close to good enough, and more sadly for me because he once was a very good player, Nolan is done. It's embarrassing to watch him get in the way of Noble and lumber about. At one point he tried to play a simple ball out to O'Brien and I don't even know how he managed to hack the ball up in the air the way he did.

If either of those two start Prem games for us, we're bang in trouble.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: It's embarrassing to watch him get in the way of Noble and lumber about.
Frank McAvennie ‏@MaccaFrank · 19 hrs19 hours ago
Noble is better when Nolan is not playing

Should never play both together again.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Nolan already looks fitter than last season post injury
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Digging them out because it's what the cool kids do. Ridiculous.

It's a forum, don't be so precious. Maigas hardly going to read this and have his confidence further knocked.

He's not even close to good enough, and more sadly for me because he once was a very good player, Nolan is done. It's embarrassing to watch him get in the way of Noble and lumber about. At one point he tried to play a simple ball out to O'Brien and I don't even know how he managed to hack the ball up in the air the way he did.

If either of those two start Prem games for us, we're bang in trouble.
I agree, if they play regularly in the league we will struggle.

But do you seriously think Maiga will get in front of Sakho, Valencia, Carroll, Zarate and another striker we are supposedly trying to sign?

As for Nolan, we all know his legs are gone, but once again do you really think he'll start regularly with Koyate, Pedro, Noble, Payet, Song (possibly), and Poyet on the fringes?

I think Nolan could have a big season for us if we make Europe, bring him on if we're chasing a goal with 10-15 to go in games could be his calling this year. Plus he's got all the players together.

Last night was effectively a glorified pre-season game, yes there is something on it, but really truthfully if we had scored early it would have been 4 or 5... but if your aunt had balls and all that.

They came to defend for their lives and they nearly got their dream result against a largly 2nd string West Ham side in July.

Let's move on.
Pop Robson's Barber

Post by Pop Robson's Barber »

How did the ballboy play? Had a blinder against Lusitans.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Truth is, Nolan was no better nor any worse than the vast majority of his team mates last night.

Yet once again, he's being called out on here by some.

It's so, so easy to knock Kevin Nolan. Or Modibo Maiga. Even after one pre=season game.

Disagree with Row X.It's not what the cool kids do. It's what sheep without the capacity to think for themselves do.
westhamfamily

Post by westhamfamily »

Up the Junction wrote:Truth is, Nolan was no better nor any worse than the vast majority of his team mates last night.

It's so, so easy to knock Kevin Nolan. Or Modibo Maiga. Even after one pre=season game.

Disagree with Row X.It's not what the cool kids do. It's what sheep without the capacity to think for themselves do.

I couldn't agree more . I would have preferred to see Poyet being given more time ahead of noble or Nolan as I think they are too slow and ponderous to play together, but is it really necessary to boo our club captain who can't be described as the boss' pet anymore. So disrespectful
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I am sure that Bilic is giving everyone a chance,unlike some people who have already written some of the players off because of the past performances.
He will be watching to see who and who will not fit in to his way of playing.
He will use these games and other friendlys to finalise his use of his squad for next season,and if certain players can't or won't adapt to his style ,then I should imagine,like any other manager he will not pick them.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Think too many people are stubborn with their views on maiga and Zarate.

Went last night with open mind maiga got himself in good positions but the constant offside and lack of movement made it same old same old

Zarate though. He was constantly moving. Laying off the ball to other players. Bringing some others into play. Some nice set pieces which was a change. Yes he takes the ball around people too much at times but we need a selfish player sometimes.

Two games in Europe 2 assists
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

I can understand why people are disappointed. After all, our players were supposed to get so much better and more exciting with the new manager.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote:Truth is, Nolan was no better nor any worse than the vast majority of his team mates last night.

Really?

It's so, so easy to knock Nolan because his legs are gone and he doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I cannot recall a swifter fall from grace.

Anyway, time to get back to the thoughtless Kevin Nolan hate-group that I'm a part of. Baaah.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

how did zarate's fitness hold up over the full 90 minutes? still had enough left in the tank to put in the best corner i've seen a west ham player take in a long time, but could he still get up and down the pitch?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:how did zarate's fitness hold up over the full 90 minutes? still had enough left in the tank to put in the best corner i've seen a west ham player take in a long time, but could he still get up and down the pitch?
Didn't think it was too bad consdiering how many runs he had made he was still taking people on in the 90th min. Took a great corner as you said

Think if bilic can get the best out of him will be a useful squad player
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Nolan and Adrian seem to be a bit shocked at the Lino waving to his mum, along with the 20 mascots !

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Really?

It's so, so easy to knock Nolan because his legs are gone and he doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I cannot recall a swifter fall from grace.

Anyway, time to get back to the thoughtless Kevin Nolan hate-group that I'm a part of. Baaah.
I just don't buy in to this 'Nolan's legs are gone' The lad never had real pace to begin with and quite frankly, he doesn't stop running, no wonder he's blowing out of his arse after 60/70 mins.

Maybe it's just me who likes to watch players when they don't have the ball, but you learn a lot and see how different players bring different things to their game. Last night for example, Matt Jarvis constantly made movements and runs to keep their right back on his toes and to offer options, a couple of better through balls and he would have been away. He also spent the whole game coaching Maiga through his game & showing him when/where to make runs.
Neil Orr fan club

Post by Neil Orr fan club »

What is it with some people and Zarate . Fully expected him to get MOTM last night. Would have been surprised if it was anyone else . By far our most dangerous player , OK sometimes he loses it , but at least offering something different and posing a threat by running at people . Him aside , see enough square 10 yard passes to last a season
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Pop Robson wrote:Nolan and Adrian seem to be a bit shocked at the Lino waving to his mum, along with the 20 mascots !

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
while the rest of them are either pratting about, gormless or just happy to be there, the lad infront of zarate remains a bastion of calm. future west ham captain there.