ELQ2: Birkirkara 1-0 West Ham Utd (3-5 pens) (23/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

ELQ2: Birkirkara 1-0 West Ham Utd (3-5 pens) (23/07/15)

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm assuming that Adrian will travel for this one (although I was a bit confused about Randolph losing his place).

I'd retain the same back four (although, again, not sure why we perhaps didn't retain at least one of Burke / Page from the first qualifiers)

I'd sling in Poyet alongside Noble and instruct the latter to get forward, safe in the knowledge that the kid can 'carry the water' (anyone else think that his shorter barnet makes him look like that magician Dynamo?). Jarvis and 'Malf retain their places, but Samuelsen is a definite sub again.

I'd personally persist with Maiga and Zarate, simply because Maiga might, just might, need only a goal or two to get some confidence and become some kind of option for the season as a whole. Again, Lee a definite sub.

For me, the most important thing is another clean sheet. Its unlikely we're going to 'cricket score' even the likes of the Maltese Cup Winners, but its teams with stingy defences that get to the group stages.

Fingers crossed that Jarvis, Maiga, Zarate and a kid or two click and maintain some decent possession/threat in the opposing half.
roblo
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Re: Birkirkara Away - Match Thread: 23.07.15

Post by roblo »

Definitely need a couple more 'first-teamers' involved. They wouldn't be able to handle Kouyate
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Let's hope we dont @@@@ this one up. It would be quite an embarassment.(Nothing new there, I know !)

:scarfer:
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

roblo wrote:Definitely need a couple more 'first-teamers' involved. They wouldn't be able to handle Kouyate
Agreed. With our striker shortage I also wouldn't be surprised if Slav had Payet on the bench 'just in case.'
Udonhammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Udonhammer »

Payet is not eligable yet
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Udonhammer wrote:Payet is not eligable yet
Why's that?

He was red-carded in Marseilles' last euro campaign and needs to see out that ban
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Wasn't that a 1 game ban? Would not the first leg against Birkirkara count for that?

Post by 343 »

New account here as lost my old one being a yahoo account.

Looking forward to this one in particular as I moved to Malta 7 months ago so if anyone fancies a pre/post match drink then feel free to get in contact.

As far as the match is concerned think we should see a fairly decent side out to get us over the line. Would like to see this Samuelsen kid get some extended time on the pitch, pretty decent reviews so far from Bilic, Gold & the fans that have seen him.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

343 wrote:New account here as lost my old one being a yahoo account.

Looking forward to this one in particular as I moved to Malta 7 months ago so if anyone fancies a pre/post match drink then feel free to get in contact.

As far as the match is concerned think we should see a fairly decent side out to get us over the line. Would like to see this Samuelsen kid get some extended time on the pitch, pretty decent reviews so far from Bilic, Gold & the fans that have seen him.
We're staying in a friends apartment in Sleima, so will be travelling across to the stadium. Any watering holes near the stadium?
MalteseHammer

Post by MalteseHammer »

Nowhere to drink near stadium which is situated near an old airfield. If mobile, suggest Rabat, Or Mosta. They're within 10 minutes drive

bullyhammer wrote:Wasn't that a 1 game ban? Would not the first leg against Birkirkara count for that?
I'll fess up, mate, and say that I'm only going on what I read on here earlier in the month about his ban.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

prophet:marginal wrote:[que="bullyhammer"]Wasn't that a 1 game ban? Would not the first leg against Birkirkara count for that?[/qte]

I'll fess up, mate, and say that I'm only going on what I read on here earlier in the month about his ban.
Haha yeah, I'm not sure what the exact facts about this ban are either, hoped somebody else did! :D
Suicyde

Post by Suicyde »

Was lucky enough to meet Payet on Thursday, seemed like a cracking lad and had his boy of 6 in the box with him who somewhat bizarrely enjoyed the game!

Confirmed he's suspended for 2 games in Europe.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Suicyde wrote:Was lucky enough to meet Payet on Thursday, seemed like a cracking lad and had his boy of 6 in the box with him who somewhat bizarrely enjoyed the game!

Confirmed he's suspended for 2 games in Europe.
Thanks.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Big first goal.. :D

Post by 343 »

MalteseHammer wrote:Nowhere to drink near stadium which is situated near an old airfield. If mobile, suggest Rabat, Or Mosta. They're within 10 minutes drive
Glad you answered this as I barely get out of Sliema ! Think i'll be drinking round Sliema then get a cab to the game.

Where are you based MalteseHammer?
MalteseHammer

Post by MalteseHammer »

Where are you based MalteseHammer?[/quote]

Live in Naxxar, but am in Sliema often. Send me PM with email.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Id like to see the Following Line up played

------------------------------Adrain

Obrien-----------Tomkins---------Reid ------Cresswell

--------------------Poyet-----------Kouyate

Jarvis----------------------Zarate------------- Samelson

-----------------------------Lee

I dont think they would handle that.

Payet (someone said 2 games however wasnt he registered as an extra player for the second leg of the last qualifier meaning he has missed two?) anyways IF he available keep him on the bench. If he is needed because we are 0-1 down at half time we bring him on. If not rest him.

Whens Valencia Back? even at half fitness he should be ready to run at this lot..
finlandhammer

Post by finlandhammer »

Sitting in Vilnius Airport in Lithuania with my son waiting to get on our flight to Helsinki, then Frankfurt.....then Malta.
Looking forward to some nice weather and plenty of goals from us. Got a feeling that Maiga will get his scoring boots on :)