ELQ2: Birkirkara 1-0 West Ham Utd (3-5 pens) (23/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

M*A*R*C

Re: Birkirkara v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by M*A*R*C »

Their bloke was a knut, our bloke was an idiot.

Way to deal with these kind of wind up merchants is to be aloof, be above it all, laugh it off even when the ref gets it wrong.

Let them know that whatever they do, we have enough in our locker to put it to bed anytime.

That will wind them up, more than calling them fat, more than kicking crap out of them. When people get wound up, they make mistakes, just like we did.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Unbelievably poor performance from a bunch of numpties who need to wise up and wise up quickly if they are to avoid humiliation in Europe. There are some really good teams in this competition and if we do not adjust our style of play, learn and learn quickly, we can fear the worst.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We shouldn't expect anything from these cup games.

With the task of putting together a balanced team from a squad with practically no attacking qualities with Prem survival being the must win objective, Bilic is not going to let his pre season plans be put out by risking anyone in this competition, So we will continue to see teams put out full of expendables with the occasional training run out for the more likely regulars,with strict instructions to not take any risks. .
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

I think we need to keep this in perspective

Adrian... 1st Choice

Cresswell... 1st choice

Collins... 2nd or 3rd choice

Tomkins... 2nd or 3rd choice.

O'Brien... 2nd choice

Kouyate... 1st choice

Noble... 1st choice ?

Amalfitano... Won't start many games, may well come on as a sub.

Nolan... Won't start many games, probably won't come on as a sub often either.

Jarvis... Won't start many games, may well come on as a sub.

Zarate...Won't start many games, may well come on as a sub.

Maiga, Samuelson and Poyet coming on as subs aren't going to feature much either.

This was a long way from our strongest eleven, closer in fact to a second eleven.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

^^^ I like your reasoning on that :thup:
onestuartslater
Total likes: 1 like

Post by onestuartslater »

Similar to what this guy seems to be saying - a reasonable assesment

http://www.westhamblog.co.uk/
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Let's pray we don't get our usual dose of injuries then this coming season otherwise again, we will have problems if those players are playing.. :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Lots of reasoning going on here.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Iron-worx wrote:I think we need to keep this in perspective

Adrian... 1st Choice

Cresswell... 1st choice

Collins... 2nd or 3rd choice

Tomkins... 2nd or 3rd choice.

O'Brien... 2nd choice

Kouyate... 1st choice

Noble... 1st choice ?

Amalfitano... Won't start many games, may well come on as a sub.

Nolan... Won't start many games, probably won't come on as a sub often either.

Jarvis... Won't start many games, may well come on as a sub.

Zarate...Won't start many games, may well come on as a sub.

Maiga, Samuelson and Poyet coming on as subs aren't going to feature much either.

This was a long way from our strongest eleven, closer in fact to a second eleven.
I agree 100%.
I personally saw this as Bilic attempting to use this "second team AKA Sam's Team" to get us through the Qualifiers, to prevent early season burnout for our much different starting XI.
The only ones I can see starting the game at The Emirates are Adrian, Cresswell, Noble and possibly Kouyate. Reid and Ogbonna will be our starting centre backs, Jenkinson on the right side of the back four, Payet, Obiang, Lanzini, Noble, Poyet and Kouyate will be the mainstay of our midfield with Sakho and Valencia/Carroll (if fit) up front. I doubt you could sway from that. I'm hoping we bring in another striker, perhaps Charlie Austin to partner Diafra....

In a few weeks we'll be a world away from Allardyce's team.... Or I at least hope.
Alpari 'Ammer

Post by Alpari 'Ammer »

Was a very odd game to say the least. It was a terrible performance but I only expect 3 of that starting XI (Adrian, Cresswell and Kouyate) to start against Le arse. I also expect that Jarvis, Nolan, OBrien and Maiga won't be playing for us come the start of the season either. If Zarate or Amalfitano are anywhere near the starting XI then we have a serious problem but I can't see that happening. That leaves Collins and Tomkins who last year were my first choice pairing however I think Reid and Ogbonna will win that race and Jenks (how much we miss this kid is ridiculous) replacing JOB. I think Slav saw this as a good opportunity to give some of the above players a chance to prove their worth to the club, none of which succeeded so HOPEFULLY it's answered some questions for him.

At the end of the day ALOT to be learned but we're still in the competition and have a lot to look forward to, however a much stronger XI will be needed.

COYI
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Alpari 'Ammer wrote: If Zarate or Amalfitano are anywhere near the starting XI then we have a serious problem
COYI
yet the abuse that came forward last year when they where left out was shocking.

Is there a worst judge of football talent than the Boo Boys
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ogbonna needs time to settle first, so unless we're struggling for injuries I think it's wise we take our time with him and bring him off the bench gradually so to come acclimatised with the League that way. Chuck him in at the deep end and he could end up looking like Mangala who struggled terribly in a 'superstar' Man City side.

So with that in mind, I would like to see tried and trusted Reid and Tomkins start for the foreseeable, as long as they are fit and available with both Collins and Ogbonna on the bench.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

bspur1 wrote: yet the abuse that came forward last year when they where left out was shocking.

Is there a worst judge of football talent than the Boo Boys

Yep, like them both especially Amalfitano who's very clever on the ball. More than happy to see them in and around the squad this season. Not a bad option to bring on from the bench against tiring bodies and mind and both showed flashes of that last season.
Rightback

Post by Rightback »

I agree with those calling for a sense of perspective.

Lusitans. Part-timers from Andorra. Great opportunity to blend youth with some experienced pros. An incredible opportunity for younger players to experience first team football and European competition. Excellent.

Birkikara. Pros from Malta. Great opportunity to bring in one or two first teamers and learn about some of the players who might now be considered 'fringe'. On paper should still comfortably win.

IMO entirely the right strategy. Bilic will have learnt a lot. The team against Birkikari had two chances. Both legs were poor and I'm sure Bilic and his management team will have established who form those games might now be genuine first-teamers, who will be fringe and who have no future. It is interesting that Nolan has subsequently come out with his comments about wishing to leave if he's not going to play. It suggests to me that that was the purpose of the team selection and he (and therefore probably others) are sensing their opportunities will be limited.

Fast forward to Astra and I hope the strategy will be different again. Mainly first teamers for the home leg. Good competitive match but (on paper) an opportunity for a comfortable win for a strong premiership side. Then an away leg with a decent advantage and a mix of either A and B team or A and some U21s. It'll be interesting to see what he does.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

-DL- wrote: Perhaps not in quite the way in which Slavish has put it, I was thinking something along those lines last night, and was tempted to start a thread regarding him and Tomkins, that maybe for the benefit of the long-term that maybe they should leave the club, fresh start for everyone concerned.

I think Nobes is stagnating here to be honest and a change of scenery may do him good.

As for Tomkins, well he's not so good he cannot be replaced.
Specifically on Noble DL I totally agree he has stagnated. I had no issues with Big Sam's tactics or play, however the most disappointing thing was how few of our senior players improved as players under him. Reid and Tomkins were arguably the only two.

For me I would suggest this season is key for Noble, all the complaints about his slow play etc? Under Bilic he has the opportunity to play in a passing team, with better players (Payet and hopefully Song) and significantly improve as a player.

If he can do that.. then I hope to see him in our colours for the next 5 years. If he can't there needs to be a natural parting of ways.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Valencia, with his pace, will scare the **** out of teams.

He has to be starting as we looked pedestrian against the Maltese and Andorran sides.
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

Slightly off topic but I find it fascinating how people view the Tomkins incident so differently. There's probably some scholarly article written about the human psyche and paradigms which explains it all I'm sure.

I'm not saying I'm correct but what I see is a nailed on red card for his Brian Jacks impersonation and a nailed on red card for the deliberate stamp on his opponent's leg.

Same incident, different view point is that it was nothing more than hand bags in the playground and yellow cards all round.

Got to be a thesis about that somewhere.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Whufc06 wrote:It was using some of the experienced players (Nolan and Maiga mainly) instead of the youngsters (Poyet and Lee) which made our life harder IMO.
I'd rather Slaven takes a good look at the pair of them now than keep them for 6-12 months and assss them in the league.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

With no disrespect, and not 'digging out' players, but for a sustained period of time now, Maiga & Jarvis have been dreadful. Nolan shows a certain amount of leadership and at least brings something to the table, even if his performances are declining, but why Maiga gets in ahead of a promising youngster like Lee I'll never understand.

Lee may not be good enough, but we'll never know if we keep playing duffers like Maiga ahead of him
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Amalfitano is a decent player at Upton Park but I would never, ever start him away