ELQ3: West Ham Utd 2-2 Astra Giurgiu (30/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Re: West Ham United v. FC Astra - Match Thread

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Mosterhammer wrote:How long does it take to get from London to Astra? I can't see why at least some of the fitter players from the first eleven can make the trip? Depending on when they can get away they should at least be home friday at noon. Then you have the rest of the day and all of saturday to rest and do some formation work. Surely this is mindgames and we travel with a strong team. I really want us to qualify and I think the owners are going to make some exiting signings if we do.

The game against werder bremen should tell a lot. I think both tomkins and collins may have red carded their way in to the starting eleven against arsenal. sad. Hope bilic remembers that he was able to play with few days between the games and starts a strong team. Can lanzini play agains Astra?
I imagine they'll be flying to Bucharest, which is less than 4h flying from London.

I still struggle to accept the claim that professional football players are unable to play 2 games in a few days.

How do Championship players do it, who often have to do this several weeks in a row ?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Put out a weak side against Astra so we can focus on the league and try and finish in a Europa League spot.

:P

The Astra game next week is far more important than the Arsenal game that we've lost 12 out of the last 12 times.

Just put out a full strength side agains Astra and get through to the next round for f*ck sake.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I would like to see Nolan played against Astra, and used in a more advanced role. I actually think he could do a job as a nuisance further forward, as he previously has done, and might have a goal in him.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Although gutted by the result I actually thought the performance (before the sending off) bodes well for the season. We were playing a decent team and generally controlling the game, making chances and refraining from going long.

Also, what did everyone make of Reece Oxford? I thought he looked ridiculously comfortable for a 16 year old, if he continues to develop at a good rate he could be world class.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:I would like to see Nolan played against Astra, and used in a more advanced role. I actually think he could do a job as a nuisance further forward, as he previously has done, and might have a goal in him.
I'd agree with that, if he's to play any part this season that's where he has to play. It's what he's done his whole career. I'm not sure id start him though, if we haven't scored after 50 mins he'd be my first sub
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Set up for a belting 2nd leg :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

WorcesterWHU wrote:Set up for a belting 2nd leg :scarfer:
Always assuming we can keep eleven men on the pitch. I'm not holding holding my breath
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Whufc06 wrote:Up until the sending off last night was a breath of fresh air. No aimless punts forward, we were controlling the tempo of the game and keeping possession. It was boding well for the future and I'm not gonna let a sending off make me spiral into depression because frankly I was impressed with how things are coming along.
Agree entirely, I was enjoying the playing the ball out from the back on the floor. There were some excellent runs being picked out with a pass, ok some passes didn't come off but that will always happen. After the sending off, certainly after the first goal from Astra they pressed us more and we reverted to the long aimless punt from Adrian much more.
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

Patito wrote:Essexguy

I agree with your point that for the team, it wouldn't matter so much if we get knocked out by Astra because we've used the European games a kind of a preseason and to blood youngsters. But for me personally from a selfish point of view, it does matter. I want more European away days with West Ham and to be honest, the only way I can feasibly do that is if we make the group stages and I have time to save up and get time off too in advance. I also want as many European nights in our final season at the Boleyn as possible.

So yes, we might do a bit better in the league if Astra knock us out at this stage and the players might have more chance to rest but I want this European 'adventure' (makes me cringe a bit that word) to last as long as possible.
Oh absolutely I agree with you, I want us to stay in Europe for as long as possible and I really to care about the competition.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is, if we don't make it past the next round in Europe doesn't necessarily mean that we are going to have a shocker of a season to come. i.e. Not judge the players and manager on what are effectively preseason games.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:Agree entirely, I was enjoying the playing the ball out from the back on the floor. There were some excellent runs being picked out with a pass, ok some passes didn't come off but that will always happen. After the sending off, certainly after the first goal from Astra they pressed us more and we reverted to the long aimless punt from Adrian much more.
Allardyce isn't even at the club yet we started hitting the long ball. As Collins said several times last season. The long ball to a forward is the cheap easy option when you can't see alternatives - even when the manager is telling you not to do it.

In the first half we had Oxford, a guy in midfield taking the ball off defenders and looking for an outlet but being patient if there wasn't one. Then we had Kouyate and Payet actively looking for the ball and turning and facing forward when they did get it. - It's what we've been missing for ages. We finally had midfielders who spent more time in their half than ours.

The long balls started when we felt the pressure. Not tactics not instructions just players not confident enough to continue doing what they had been doing perfectly well for an hour when they were put under pressure.
GreenStHammer

Post by GreenStHammer »

I for one can't see Bilic/The board's logic on this. We will probably lose the Arsenal away game anyway. When was the last time we won? I can't even remember. It's also only one of 38 premier league games. The maximum difference it could really make is 3 points but probably closer to 1 point, as I don't think we'll ever really get more than a draw there for a while now.

We should put out a strong team against Astra again, and go all out. Atleast for the sake of qualification. When will qualify for this competition again in the near future? Let's not forget, the last time we were in this competition was almost 10 years ago and even then we didn't qualify!

I see numerous positives to qualifying for the Europa league this year. We can use it as an opportunity to bring through some young players such as Oxford, Burke, Page, Cullen, Borg, Lee etc. They will benefit far more from playing some real competitive fixtures in Europa qualifying over U21 or reserve games any day. Once we qualify, we don't need to put out our first team. We can give these kids a chance to develop. There were so many bemoaning Allardyce for not giving the youth even as much as a look in. Well this competition may just be their chance!

We can also use the competition to ease back in senior players returning from injury and give them some game time before putting them into the premier league games half fit. We can also use it to give some fringe players such as Amalfitano, Jarvis, Zarate (if we sign another striker) etc some game time and keep them happy, sharp and match fit. In the even they are required as subs in the league, they will perform better.

It also gives the club more exposure in Europe, and brings in additional revenue streams. Through ticket sales at the Boleyn, participation money etc. Whatever paltry money we gain from it, it doesn't matter. It's extra revenue. It may allow us to afford 1 or 2 more first team players via the FFP.

And at the end of the day, at a minimum it will give us West Ham fans more of a chance to see our beloved team play at the Boleyn before she goes! I'd be willing to bet that getting tickets in the premier league will be very difficult this season for non ST holders and many or most of our league games will sell out. Give more people a chance to see some last few games at UP or let us see the hammers play more there more often in this last year. Get us qualified Daves and Bilic! :crest:
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Nobes comments from the Evening standard......

“It’s not the end of the world. We played very well up until we had a man sent off and then they scored two crazy goals — a wonder striker from 30 yards and an own goal.

“We’re not happy about it but if you ask me whether we’re angry I’d say ‘no’ because we have to go to Romania next Thursday and Arsenal three days later — and we need to be in the right mood for that. If you go into the Premier League feeling sorry for yourself you get punished. We have to keep positive.”

Noble had sympathy for Collins, saying: “Some of the decisions I’ve witnessed have been incredible. Someone smashes into Dimitri from behind and gets away with it, while James has hardly touched the fellow.”

Noble was impressed after playing with Payet for the first time, saying: “He has a lot of quality. I’m sure he will be a massive asset to us.”
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

After time to reflect...

We are West Ham we never do things the easy way... :crest:
Wiltshire Ham err...
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Wiltshire Ham err... »

While I love the fact West Ham are playing in Europe - I feel it is a bit of a fake Europe - as any supporters of other teams will be happy to tell us. We aren't there through consistantly performing well and building a squad over a long period as those teams in places awarded to the top league placed teams generally are. It may help to attract players to an extent but they (or their agents) are not that dumb and will realise that we are only a match or 2 away from not being in Europe and at that point the league really is all-important.
The board haven't taken it so seriously that they buy enough players to give us almost a second team but we couldn't really expect them to because of the fact that we could quickly end up where we have been for the last 8 or 9 years so on that basis the fact that we have started to use the younger players to assist the main team is the best option.
Sams pragmatic method - fuelled by his short-term contracts prevented him from using those younger players so some of them are at a more advanced stage than when they might have debuted and maybe because of that they are shining. Together with a few more quality additions to the squad I think we are in a good place and so if we can continue to compete in Europe without creating a relegation situation in the league then I think we should be 'going for it'.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Aztec Hammer wrote:I don't think he's nearly as useless as you make him out to be.
Well it's all about opinions Aztec and he couldn't force his way into either our or QPR's side last year consistently , and thus far we've seen him against a couple of poor sides and one decent one this season .
Aztec Hammer wrote: When the squad is full strength (I don't think any team ever has this luxury), he is a valuable member because he offers a skill set that not many others have.
Go on.....
Aztec Hammer wrote: His goal yesterday wasn't remotely lucky. I have to ask, what was your reaction after he stuck it in? Did you say fair play that was a quality goal or that he was lucky?
Myself and several others around me cheered his goal and turned to each other and said "he had some luck there" .That in no way diminishes the skilful parts of the goal but reflects the fact a better side wouldn't concede it .
Aztec Hammer wrote: He's miles ahead of Jarvis, Nolan and Maiga.
He's also better than me , you're comparing him with three players few people would have in their starting line ups .
Aztec Hammer wrote: If you're looking for 4 fit forward players I'd have ahead of him against Arsenal in the starting lineup. Sakho, Payet. I can think of only two.
So what you are saying of those available he would be third pick ?
Aztec Hammer wrote: Which 4 forward players would you start ahead of him in 10 days time in the PL?
At our club ? You've named the two that will, the point is just because he is the third best of those available doesn't mean he is good enough, it simply highlights the paucity of options available to the Manager .
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Well it's all about opinions Aztec and he couldn't force his way into either our or QPR's side last year consistently , and thus far we've seen him against a couple of poor sides and one decent one this season .

Indeed it is all about opinions and neither of us can begrudge the other his ultimate opinion. Can you not agree to judge him afresh now that he is not playing under the ultimate longball manager and now that he is playing alongside quality talent like Payet?
the pink palermo wrote: Go on.....
Who else in the lineup last night can you see scoring a goal like Zarate did yesterday? Payet is all I can think of. He almost scored a lovely curler from outside the box in the first half.
the pink palermo wrote: Myself and several others around me cheered his goal and turned to each other and said "he had some luck there" .That in no way diminishes the skilful parts of the goal but reflects the fact a better side wouldn't concede it .
It didn't look lucky watching it live and after seeing the highlights, it was clear that it was a quality goal.
the pink palermo wrote: He's also better than me , you're comparing him with three players few people would have in their starting line ups .
I'm comparing him with the players he has to compete with for playing time.
the pink palermo wrote:So what you are saying of those available he would be third pick ?
Again, I think he is a lot better than you think he is. So Zarate being 3rd choice isn't an indictment on other players as much as it is my opinion that Zarate is a good player.
the pink palermo wrote:At our club ? You've named the two that will, the point is just because he is the third best of those available doesn't mean he is good enough, it simply highlights the paucity of options available to the Manager .
It means he is good enough for us as it stands. Simply by virtue that there aren't enough players at the club of higher quality than him to deem him not good enough.

Again, take the squad in the exact shape it is in right now. And let's go by the idea that we will play with 3 players in behind a striker. So 4 forward players. Who are the 4 that you put ahead of Zarate for our first PL fixture?
Bubble 'N' Cheek

Post by Bubble 'N' Cheek »

The old bloke next to me last night kept slagging off Vaz Te. Didn't have the heart to tell him he's left and that's Maiga.

Made a few of us laugh though.

Worryingly he was a season ticket holder. Surely he should know better.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Bubble 'N' Cheek wrote:The old bloke next to me last night kept slagging off Vaz Te. Didn't have the heart to tell him he's left and that's Maiga.

Made a few of us laugh though.

Worryingly he was a season ticket holder. Surely he should know better.
My favourite one last night was the chap behind me - "For f*** sake, that Oxford kid is ****, he should have passed that at least three seconds earlier"
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I spent my lunchtime reading through the match-thread not having got back until 11 pm last evening. I must say I was absolutely shocked. I had no idea we had quite so many w*nkers on kumb. Sure I knew there were a few but even allowing for the emotion of the moment it’s amazing to see some of the comments.

Our side is a work in progress. We have a host of new signings bedding in and youngsters making the step up. Bilic has only been in the job 5 minutes and some of these t*ssers are calling for his head and making comparisons to what Allardyce took 4 years to achieve. It’s going to take time people.

What I witnessed last night was some of the best football from a WHU side I’ve seen at The Boleyn in many a long month. We were two up and cruising against a decent Romanian outfit. Bilic has done an excellent job of integrating our young prospects into the team and given chances to prove themselves to players Allardyce had consigned to the scrapheap. On the evidence of last night, people like Zarate and Maiga are grateful for another chance and want to reward Bilic with renewed effort. That’s the way to develop loyalty and squad depth.

I was very disappointed at the way we allowed the Romanians back into it but Collins has been a great servant for WHU and knows he f*cked up without needing to be told by a bunch of neurotics listening on the radio or following it on the forum. I was disappointed but we are no strangers to that emotion. We are not out of it yet. If we play as well in Girgiu we are likely to win it, and if we don’t that means we can concentrate on pushing for a Europa place next year. Besides, it was very enjoyable game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Aztec Hammer wrote:It means he is good enough for us as it stands. Simply by virtue that there aren't enough players at the club of higher quality than him to deem him not good enough.
I don't agree.
Aztec Hammer wrote: Again, take the squad in the exact shape it is in right now. And let's go by the idea that we will play with 3 players in behind a striker. So 4 forward players. Who are the 4 that you put ahead of Zarate for our first PL fixture?
Again, why would I want to assume that ? Why would I go with that idea ? Why, if I felt a player isn't good enough would I stay welded to a shape or system that meant deploying sub standard options ?

Isn't that rigidity of thought process exactly what Sam was caned for on here ?

Tell me though , stick up your starting XI against the gunners , line up and shape please, I'm interested .