PSF: Norwich City 0-1 West Ham Utd (28/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Re: Norwich City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by funky chicken »

I was very critical of Zarate when I saw him return to Pre-season. He put on so much weight it was ridiculous. But you can see he has clearly worked so hard over the last month. He looked so much fitter and sharper yesterday he was almost unrecognisable! His decision making still leaves a lot to be desired, but I will never criticise anyone who works hard and he has certainly done that behind the scenes. Much better performance yesterday. If he can keep that up on a more consistent basis perhaps I will eat my words :thup:

I was also very impressed with Jarvis yesterday. His crossing was a lot better yesterday. And if we had more finishers in the team he probably would've picked up an assist or 2. Looked a lot calmer on the ball. Should've scored in the 2nd half really. But it didn't effect the overall result so I will let that one go.

Nolan aswell had his best performance of Pre-season. Worked very hard, but to say he is past it is an understatement. I will always be grateful for everything he has done for the club. But regretfully it is time to move on.

There were so many positives to take out of the game yesterday. Burke putting in another assured performance at rightback. Could he be a darkhorse to replace Jenkinson against Arsenal? Page again, where did he come from!? He hasn't had a bad game yet in Pre-season. Competition for leftback now is fantastic, with Hendrie, Knoyle and Cresswell competing. A very solid performance from Henry. Looked shakey against Peterborough. But yesterday and Charlton he was very good. Collins' long term replacement maybe? Poyet good again. This is why we only need to sign Song. Poyet is ready as far as I'm concerned. And he's not really young. 20 isn't that young these days. Don't send him out on loan again. He should be on the bench for PL squad and playing in the Cup games. Oxford - Wow. What a player we have on our hands! Sign him up to a long term contract asap G&S. Perhaps don't throw him into the squad just yet for the PL. But I want to see him involved in the Cup games at least. I think he could handle the pressure. Some youngsters have it, some don't, but he has it. You would think he is 26, not 16! Noble best performance in months! That was the real Noble turning up. Was it because we finally had defensive midfielders in the team that allowed him to play his own game? I think so. Ogbonna good again. That was only the 2nd time I've seen him play though, so I will wait until I have seen him play more to judge him. Payet. I don't need to say a lot. Everyone on here has already done that for me. He could be a big player for us this season!

Does anyone know why Lanzini wasn't in the squad yesterday? You would've thought he would be involved by now.

All in all we all saw a preview of what is to come when we have near enough our strongest team. And to add in all the youngsters who for me have been the real highlight of Pre-season then perhaps we don't need to make too many signings. I think we need 4 more max. A forward has to be a priority without question. At the end of the day we only won because of an own goal yesterday. And that is a preview of what is to come next season if we don't sign a goalscorer. We mustn't let all our good play go to waste all because we didn't find a goalscorer! Sign Song, Halilovic, Hernandez/Austin & Mirallas (IF we enough in the budget!) and I would say we are ready to go.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2578 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

jaybs wrote:we do need a real striker that will take every chance that comes up both on the floor or in the air.
100% conversion rate? If a team was to have such a player, they'd win the league every time.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

I thought Norwich looked poor last night, although I don't know enough about them to know how near to a full strength squad that was or not. They did however look rapid on the counter, which with the right players could be effective like Leicester last season.
Good performance from WH. The two young full backs were superb.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

funky chicken wrote:
Does anyone know why Lanzini wasn't in the squad yesterday? You would've thought he would be involved by now.
Only signed a week ago, not considered fit enough I'd think.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

BarryGreen wrote:I thought Norwich looked poor last night, although I don't know enough about them to know how near to a full strength squad that was or not. They did however look rapid on the counter, which with the right players could be effective like Leicester last season.
Good performance from WH. The two young full backs were superb.
Redmond to me looks their only decent player going forward. They'll undoubtedly struggle for goals this season unless they sign a new striker

But hey, they're probably saying the same about us :D
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:[qte="jaybs"]we do need a real striker that will take every chance that comes up both on the floor or in the air.[/qte]

100% conversion rate? If a team was to have such a player, they'd win the league every time.
Quite.

Andy Cole, for instance,scored loads of goals, but probably missed at least 3 out of every 4 good chances.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

You are Glenn Hoddle and I claim my £5!
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

I'd put money on Norwich going down tbf.

Delia doesn't seem to be getting her cheque book out and the last time she did Hughton didn't really spend the money wisely.

Although, I think they were unlucky with van Wolfswinkel. He looked very promising when he was at Lisbon.
Slavish

Post by Slavish »

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

^^^

A very fair point that he doesn't pass nearly enough.

However, iv seen more than enough of his work-rate and effort this side of the end of the season to believe he should at least get a shot to Christmas. He looks fitter, cleverer, and open to making things happen. He may infuriate us, but I'm hoping that we might see him do a bit of damage with Valencia and Sakho early in the season, and if that doesn't happen we can revisit.

Maia can do one. He has been proper poor on getting another, and certainly last chance to do something to save his career here. Maiga and Zarate are like chalk and cheese.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

It feels like Maiga has been here about 10 years. Last few seasons i feel like ive been saying to myself "Its ok, its the last year of his contract".... yet he is still ****ing here! :lol:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Maiga, Jarvis and Nolan did nothing last night to suggest they should be anywhere near the first team, that cross from Jarvis that he floated out of play just summed him up completely, and when Nolan and he broke through only to f*ck it up with Jarvis smashing it into the stand from close range the writing was on the wall.

Cheers for the previous 4 years Kev, especially the first two, but your time is up at the top level.

Jarvis you've just never got going, go back to Wolves and to a level you belong at.

Maiga thanks for the Spurs goal, that celebration against Southampton is what always sticks in my head though, says a lot about the kind of person he is. Now go back to France in a league that allows you to resemble a footballer.

I like the look of our young players, composed and confident on the ball and the kids at the back are very tenacious, especially Page, maybe Dicks is coaching him :)
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

More balanced non biased 2 mins here

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015 ... Ham-United

Best commentary ever!!
Dove

Post by Dove »

Useless fact of the day:
In the first Mission Impossible movie, when the team have moved to London the tv is on in the background. The presenter is giving the football results and West Ham have beaten Norwich. Hopefully Mission Impossible 2 has a report of West Ham beating the Arse.