ELQ3: Astra Giurgiu 2-1 West Ham Utd (06/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pepin

Re: FC Astra Giurgiu v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Pepin »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Highly debatable. The first team couldn't beat Astra at home. What makes you think we'd have been different over there?
Even though it is debatable, I think that it was there for everybody to see, that our first team posses much more quality and would very probably secure the promotion. Before the Collins red card we were bossing the game and also the seccond game proved that Astra were nothing special.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I think its pointless arguing about a hypothetical situation, who knows what would have happened on the night? Even if we had have won, I wouldn't have been comfortable with the number of games we had to play, the depth and relative inexperience of our squad playing together and the ultimate outcome in that we wouldn't have won the competition, not even in with a shout.
I think there were some positives to come out of it, if nothing else, that'll be Maiaga's last game for us and possibly Nolan's too. Hopefully this season we'll get there on merit with a better squad to at least give us a realistic chance of getting further and not have to compete in seeded qualifying rounds.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

If that Randolph is a goalkeeper im a f*cking fruit bat.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

im glad we have a new victim, with which to aim our hate at.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:If that Randolph is a goalkeeper im a f*cking fruit bat.

made a good save second half and couldn't blame him for the goals either. He looks like a frightened rabbit when a back pass comes his way though...
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

He looks uncomfortable with the ball lofted towards him but I think he can get over that with game time.

He won't get much of that though.
tevez'skettle1895

Post by tevez'skettle1895 »

Extremely dissapointed this is the club we have turned into

Regardless or not whether we deserved to be in the Europa League, for God's sake give it a go
Desperately wanted to stay in it, European football under the lights at the Boleyn for the last time
It's not about whether we finish 10th, 15th in the league if were above or below clubs like West Brom, Villa etc the aim is to win trophies, silverware SURELY???

How on earth will they market games now for The League Cup, FA Cup??

Breaks my heart to see us lacking any sort of ambition, 'a club on the up, moving onto new beginnings' yet we effectively throw games as were petrified by the likes of Arsenal, Bournemouth and Leicester
I thought the game was about winning, excitement, occasions, memories, not ensuring your only the 15th worst team in your league

Sorry for the rant, couldn't hold it in until Sunday
Gutted there'll be no more European travelling but hey maybe we can nick a 0-0 on Sunday in the holy grail Premier League..................
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

2 points before putting to bed this thread.

It was great to see Romford with a smile on his face in the stands, after we scored the early goal, and
It was comical that one of the companies advertised in massive type around the ground was InterAgro.

I still cannot quite believe that we are out of the competition

When's the LC draw? :P
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Closing in on 100 pages of a match thread.

That can't have happened much ?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Billy Hunt wrote:
made a good save second half and couldn't blame him for the goals either. He looks like a frightened rabbit when a back pass comes his way though...
He is a million miles from the confident and composed Adrian, who just seems to grow with every game. Randolph looks more like McKnight than most of what we've had over the years, I just don't understand why we signed him, I don't care if he's free.
romfordrich

Post by romfordrich »

I don't suppose anyone has kept their match ticket and wouldn't mind me taking it, I don't mind paying just putting together a picture frame with the tickets as a gift to my dad and have kept the first two away games but my girlfriend put my shorts in the wash without checking the pockets and they were destroyed

Thanks if you can help
beckton

Post by beckton »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I think its pointless arguing about a hypothetical situation, who knows what would have happened on the night? Even if we had have won, I wouldn't have been comfortable with the number of games we had to play,

Probably two more games. It might have ruined our season.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Seems as though Page as damaged his ankle ligaments and will be out for several months. Big shame as he's impressed me in this game and in pre season in general. Think he could have a good future.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

He still can. He's not quite ready to challenge Hendrie for the backup LB spot yet.
sjcthree

Post by sjcthree »

romfordrich wrote:I don't suppose anyone has kept their match ticket and wouldn't mind me taking it, I don't mind paying just putting together a picture frame with the tickets as a gift to my dad and have kept the first two away games but my girlfriend put my shorts in the wash without checking the pockets and they were destroyed

Thanks if you can help
I've still got mine, pal. It's a bit bent, but you're welcome to have it. Although, can't imagine why you'd want to frame what must be the worst European campaign in the history of English football! lol. Fair play to you though. :)

Still absolutely fuming. Don't know if I can even bring myself to watch the game this afternoon, I'm so pissed off at the club.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

I think it was justified then :lol:
BritneySpearsHammer

Post by BritneySpearsHammer »

Lets just put this thread to bed and move on then :crest:
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

West Ham Matt wrote:I think it was justified then :lol:
This.

100%.

COYI.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Just popped into my head, Didn't the mighty Manchester United, throw a whole cup competition (FA Cup), by refusing to take part, as they had too many other matches?
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Heysel76 wrote:Just popped into my head, Didn't the mighty Manchester United, throw a whole cup competition (FA Cup), by refusing to take part, as they had too many other matches?
I think you're right. Wasn't it something to do with them being in The World club championships? I seem to remember it was with The FA's blessing. I also seem to remember, they went on to win the league that season, which rubbed salt into the wound!