Arsenal 0-2 West Ham Utd (09/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by davids cross »

Aceface wrote:Have Richard Key's comments been covered?
Don't worry.....

I've got everybodys backs covered with this gimp.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

nickyj82 wrote:What are the chances of that eh! Standing outside the emirates with a microphone, a camera and 3000 to choose from , and I nab the legendary Romford!!! Without knowing what he looked like as well.

As soon as he started talking, I had a inkling it was him. Top fella, top day and I hope he will be open to coming on every week.
its a quality interview however EVERYONE knows Romford!
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Looks like RM6 is upset that we won and won it with a bit of style :lol:

Again no Nolan no Carroll and we play are better football just like last season! hopefully it won't be too long before they follow their pal Sam out the door.Leaving us with our new manager who knows how to play proper football and has the balls to play youth players and show attacking intent away from home.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

nickyj82 wrote:What are the chances of that eh! Standing outside the emirates with a microphone, a camera and 3000 to choose from , and I nab the legendary Romford!!! Without knowing what he looked like as well.

As soon as he started talking, I had a inkling it was him. Top fella, top day and I hope he will be open to coming on every week.

You caught him in a very good mood ( magners I reckon) as ever he said it as it was , blinding in their back yard as well , thought he was going into one of his anti arsenal rants when he started talking about the statue luckily bubbles took over , quality interview
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I actually thought you were Arsenal TV and i was going to give you a mouthful mate :D
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

I am glad you enjoyed that Romford you and your mates must have had a cracking time :scarfer:

What did you make of the game mate did you find it as refreshing as I did under our new manager with his different style and tactics and attitude?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hammer83 wrote:I am glad you enjoyed that Romford you and your mates must have had a cracking time

What did you make of the game mate did you find it as refreshing as I did under our new manager with his different style and tactics and attitude?
I loved the shape and the way you knew that Arsenal would have to do something special to score...the way we controlled the pace of the game knowing that a 16 year old had a supposed top World Class player in his pocket was very special.

I was personally asking a few mental questions after Thursday.....

We really could have had a couple more on the break too.
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

Fantastic result, very West Ham, I don't think too many of us were expecting that let alone the rest of the country.

My pre-Thursday excitement is back and now can't wait until Saturday. Winner should take top spot?

I admit I was worried about outing Sam this year but what a start for Bilic, very well done.

:scarfer:
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Couple of great interviews outside the ground yesterday.. Check this out.. :lol:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Neil »

Sorry if posted elsewhere

From The Guardian's 'The Fiver':

‘I CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT I SAW TODAY’

Dangerous levels of hot air, bluster and steam threatened to cause an emergency outside the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon as the various eejits, pirates and headphones models who make up Arsenal’s YouTube massive suffered a collective loss of their heads and All Perspective following their side’s self-parodic 2-0 defeat to a West Ham side who were able to win despite starting with a foetus in midfield, before adding insult to injury by treating everyone to a two-minute airing of their much-loved Modibo Maiga Standing Around And Letting The Ball Bounce Off Your Head And Feet Experience. Oh, Arsenal. Oh, Arsenal. And once more for good luck: oh, Arsenal! How is it possible for you to remain such an endless source of entertainment, with your goalkeeping howlers and complacency and ongoing insistence that Olivier Giroud deserves to be classed as a top, top striker, up there with the very best, seeing as he has excellent hair. To be fair to Giroud, he does have very nice hair. It’s very good. It’s hair that’s worth at least 20 goals a season, if you think about it deeply enough.

This time last week, everything was hunky dory. They had just beaten Boring Old Chelsea in the Community Shield, meaning that they entered the new season as treble winners after a heroic summer in which they also collected the Emirates Cup and the Barclays Asia Trophy. Take that, José Mourinho! The excitement was huge, not that anyone was getting carried away. “I don’t think we are inferior to the Spanish clubs or Bayern Munich,” Santi Cazorla cheered in the sequel to Theo Walcott’s classic claim in April that Arsenal had been the strongest side in Europe this year, despite losing to Monaco in Big Cup, and it’s hard to argue with that, seeing as trophies really should be awarded based on calendar years and Eibar, Granada and Getafe haven’t been much use in 2015. Alas the FA remains as shortsighted as ever and continues to press ahead with the arcane insistence that the title be awarded based on a team’s results from August to May, which is obviously a total farce.

This was supposed to be different. Arsenal finally had a proper goalkeeper in goal and confidence was high, only for Agent Cech to do his very best Wojciech Szczesny impression for Cheikhou Kouyaté’s opener, before failing to save a Mauro Zárate shot which had about as much bite as a piece of satire from The Fiver. Arsène Wenger was livid with his players, although he did point out that they weren’t physically ready yet. The Fiver is unsure who was tasked with making sure they were up to speed, so we’ll move on and give a bit of praise to West Ham, who have celebrated their win by, er, opening talks with Joey Barton
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I think the way we didn't give Arsenal any time on the ball to play their usual game was telling too. Too many times last season we sat back and let teams come at us and got punished for it. Hopefully that'll be the way we stop teams from playing in the future. Our midfield really did cancel out their creativity on many occasions and we left them very few options at times.
Be interesting to see how we do this against Liverpool who yesterday looked poor against Stoke. Hopefully we may even be able to beat them on their own turf on 29th August.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Our team shape was first class, compact when defending and available to support when we had the ball. I think we have all seen West Ham defend like that, what really was different was how we retained possession and attacked. That was what was most pleasing. A tactical master piece from Bilic first time out, and a 9/10 performance from the team.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

One thing I did notice was that both Zarate and Sakho seemed to be both drifting right for a lot of the match. I don't recall either of them being involved in much action left of centre.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I've had a day of bants with all of the Gooners I know (through work etc).

Stone me, they're a poor bunch for it, when its on the wrong foot.

I am beginning to see better what Romford means about them all.

See that statue! That's 'Erbert Chap...

....I'm forever blowin' BUBBLES!!

Been grinning all day about that clip.

:crest:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We like a moan !

How many criticisms of all the pundits whose world revolves around the top 4 teams; yet not a word of acknowledgement for the brilliant favourable reporting by ex gooner, co-commentator Niall Quinn.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Excellent and hilarious interview with Romford ....!!! Loved the spontaneous rendition of Bubbles.

:scarfer:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Arsenal
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=128862
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Burnley Hammer wrote:One thing I did notice was that both Zarate and Sakho seemed to be both drifting right for a lot of the match. I don't recall either of them being involved in much action left of centre.
The three of them (Payet too) played like a triangle with the general base seeing Sakho at the tip, but I thought they rotated quite a bit and rotated well.

We were a pretty smart side yesterday, and every single one really put in some proper graft for their manager which is a fantastic early sign.. :thup:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

shammy wrote:Worse team ive seen WHU put out in years...This is going to be horrible
So its not just The Ashes you get wrong then?
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

A couple of us shared a minibus with some Goons for yesterdays trip. Going to the game and it was all "we're going to win with ease" and "I've bet on 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0 so I've covered all the bases". It was a whole different story on the journey home though. Although they we're gracious in defeat, with handshakes all round, they bitched and moaned at how **** they played, rather than how well we played and deserved the win.

Our West Ham contingent were talking in the pub after the game and we all agreed that that was the best our fans had been for a long while. It makes such a massive difference to see a team go out and have a go at the opposition, no matter who they are. I don't think we'd have been too disappointed to have lost with that performance but the fact it was versus one of this seasons favourites for the title made it all the more special to come away with the 3 points. The scenes both inside and outside the away end after the game were fantastic.

And as for going in to work today? When was the last time you could walk in with a spring in your step and a smile on your face? Getting comments from fans of other teams on how well West Ham had played.made this the best Monday I've had for a long while.

And that, my friends, is why we support this magnificent football club... :crest: