West Ham Utd 3-4 AFC Bournemouth (22/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

joyful

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by joyful »

[quote]
2 out of 2...only UG to come and she wasn't there [/quote]

:)
ponder

Post by ponder »

It's interesting to note that, despite our terrible, 'definitely getting relegated' start, we're 1 point behind Chelsea, having conceded fewer goals, and above Arsenal and Spurs.

Yesterday was poor, but some perspective is needed.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

ponder wrote:It's interesting to note that, despite our terrible, 'definitely getting relegated' start, we're 1 point behind Chelsea, having conceded fewer goals, and above Arsenal and Spurs.

Mate, the 'perspective' that most people are seeing it from is that we have lost twice at home to teams that we would have hoped to have beaten and those teams will probably be in the relegation frame come end of season.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

ponder wrote:It's interesting to note that, despite our terrible, 'definitely getting relegated' start, we're 1 point behind Chelsea, having conceded fewer goals, and above Arsenal and Spurs.

So Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have also had poor starts too, what is your other point?

I think a lot of people are missing the point as it not just about the points but the performances, both home matches have been poor and even had won 3-2 yesterday I would still have had the same concerns in the way we are starting games because we will not be playing teams like Bournemouth every week who gift you three goals..

For the second week running we came in at half time having got off lightly (if you listen to Bilic he also thought we did at Arsenal too) and yesterday we could easily have been 3 or 4 down to Bournemouth yes Bournemouth, the shame was not going in at half time losing to them but the beating we were getting from a team who were no more than just a handful at best.

On the back of the Leicester showing it was almost like we learned nothing from it or there is simply little we can do about it with personnel we have and that in a nutshell is what concerns me.

This all comes back to not investing at the level required in time, had just another 2 players (a forward and wide midfielder) arrived before Arsenal we might be sitting here with 9 points surely having those points on the board before September would have been worth pushing the boat out for?

Hopefully the board will stopping kidding themselves on what needs to be done before the window closes but I am not holding my breath.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Could it be that Bilic is currently missing the advice and help from his usual assistant Nikola Jurčević?

Still not sure what's happening on that front - as far as I'm aware, there is no assistant manager at the moment.

Edit: Waiting for a work permit apparently:
"I have not received an operating permit. Coaches, like players, need a work permit in England. It would soon be resolved, and I'll be on the bench with Slav - reveals Nikola."
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammersi01

Post by hammersi01 »

So you'd rather have our squad than any of those? PS Chelsea won quite convincingly today
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

When Tomkins came on I really thought we was gonna go back to the back 4 at arsenal, found it strange ogbonna got signalled out when the other 3 weren't up to much either
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Like many promoted teams, Bournemouth can afford to play with a level of freedom. They are expected to be relegated and with minimal expectations, they play with no nerves. Our performance yesterday was full of nerves and this is something that needs to be nipped in the bud because if we do find ourselves in a relegation battle, the pressure of the financial calamity of being relegated and starting our first season in the Olympic Stadium in the Championship could be overwhelming.
Hopefully, Bilic can steady the nerves and these type of performances are better to get out of the system now, rather than at the business end of the season.
ponder

Post by ponder »

hammersi01 wrote:So you'd rather have our squad than any of those? PS Chelsea won quite convincingly today
They all have a lot more money than we do, yet haven't started any better. Chelsea and Arsenal will still finish top 4, and that's kind of my point. 3 games in is way too early to be predicting relegation dog-fights, particularly with another week of the transfer window left.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Romford wrote:2 out of 2...only UG to come and she wasn't there
You should know by now nothing escapes our beady eye 8-)
fandabidicksy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by fandabidicksy »

If my grandad was alive he would've left that game and said to us, 3 games 3 points. Zero goal difference, sounds about right. But then again I am harking back to days of not getting a league table until 3 games were played, simpler times.

The delusion on here from some people is beyond belief. Are you Tottenham or arsenal fickle fannies.

I have a couple of Spurs pals and some of you sound like them, what about if we'd spent £250 odd million like Man Utd and scoried the square root of f all.

Look who are below us in the table, where do you expect us to be? If bilic is trying to work out his best use of players to formation then isn't that why he started with the personnel he did? It didn't work, that's why the 2nd half formation was different.
Jenkinson and cresswell were blessed with help last season and it showed. The distance between ogbonna and Aaron was the reason for the sub I think, he was too close to Reid who I also thought had a below average game.

3 at the back for Liverpool, Tomkins Reid Ogbonna
Cresswell Jarvis wing backs
Obiang holding
Kouyate & Payet
Sakho & Maiga

4 central midfielders doesn't cut, we are slow in possession and need width, pronto weather that is with new additions or existing players. Bilic is our manager, get behind him and the team.

I think the turning of the crowd today was to do with the board, they have failed to invest sufficiently and are pinning their hopes on the £40 million they are ploughing into Andy Carroll. The Daves are showing themselves to be what many on here accuse them of and they are not giving bilic funds to bring in reinforcements. We can all be here deadline day moaning about how they were involved in half a dozen deals that all failed to materialise.

On another note,
The vitriol from the fella next to me in the west upper today summed up why I don't go as often as I would like.
Noble was a c**t who plays because he's from Canning Town
Tomkins was a c**t who should've walloped the copper harder outside sugar hut??
Bilic was a c**t for the substitution.
Randolph was still a c**t even though he kept us in the game I think.

Historically annoying according to those around me. I asked him why he bothers going, he couldn't give me a rational answer.

Whatever happened to going and supporting the team? People left after their 2nd went in. Modern fans are pants aswell as modern football
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

fandabidicksy wrote: Noble was a c**t who plays because he's from Canning Town
That bit isn't far from the truth though.
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i'd rather have our pantomime rollercoaster of a start than goody-two-shoes model for everyone to aspire to southampton's. three dreary performances against a mid table side, a championship side and last season's relegation fodder and they've only got two goals, two points and a minus three goal difference. now they've got their key starting CM pushing for a transfer.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

After over 24 hours to think about yesterdays game and our season from this point forward, this is how I see it...

We lacked organisation, the one thing you would expect from a non-league team, let alone a Premier League side. This can't be solved by buying new players, it can only be solved by the manager and his coaching staff changing things and the players doing it for themselves out on the pitch. It is not acceptable to concede four goals at home in the Premier League and there can be no arguments over that. It is simply not good enough. There may be 'goals in the team', but good defending is the backbone of any team and without it, you will not win matches.

The players are good enough to comfortably finish mid-table and we will do, with a good defensive base. Yes, we are short on attacking options at the moment, but if Sakho and Payet stay fit, we will score goals. The defensive side of things is the most important and buying a couple of new defenders will not solve the problems we have. It is basic stuff that we are getting wrong and it needs to be sorted quickly.

Our season is not over by a long stretch, but on Saturday's showing, without some really hard work by the manager and players, we will struggle to get a top ten finish. At this present time, we are not at the level of Swansea, Stoke and Everton, teams that I (and I'm sure many others) earmarked as rivals for 7th and 8th.

I hate to say it, but it seems now that the Arsenal result was something of a freak. Our system worked perfectly against theirs and I'm sure other teams will get points off them by playing a similar way.

Fin.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

75 pages is that a record?

To be honest I'm struggling to think of a worse 45 minutes at the Boleyn than the first half. 4-0 wouldn't have flattered them.

What was the game where we 3 nil up and ended up losing 4-3? Was it a championship game against Brom?
fandabidicksy
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by fandabidicksy »

That bit isn't far from the truth though.[/quote]

Seriously? Better investment makes noble a better player. Every manager has picked him, consistently!

Felt others had a far worse game than him, I suppose you castigated him for passing sideways or backwards.

Thats called keeping possession.

:crest:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

smuts wrote:75 pages is that a record?

To be honest I'm struggling to think of a worse 45 minutes at the Boleyn than the first half. 4-0 wouldn't have flattered them.

What was the game where we 3 nil up and ended up losing 4-3? Was it a championship game against Brom?
Yes.

I have to say Smuts, for me the worst I have seen was the 3-4 defeat to Leeds. That half of football was shocking, as a youngster fearing relegation, it almost had me in tears.

Yesterday is close though.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I've just seen this game for the first time and just one word really, wow!

We were individually truly shocking. Jenkinson and Cresswell will be singled out as they made some unforgivable errors for professional footballers but everyone just seemed to be slow and cumbersome, almost as if they'd been out on the lash the night before, it was truly truly shocking! That game was never a 3-4 game, we were extremely fortunate, that score line flattered us and Bournemouth weren't particularly good we were just that poor.

Individual errors, tired, cumbersome, no shape, that is as bad as it can be, unforgivable. A complete contrast to how disciplined we were in our opening game. Sort it out Slav and fast!
jimmaboy

Post by jimmaboy »

West Ham have never defended well, and as a long standing supporter for over 35 years I have seen the the team defend badly yet still win... I am surprised this weekend we did not lose by 6-3. This is the worse I have seen for a static West Ham team for years... I am really worried...and trying to keep to under 15's loyal in the West Ham family...given my family have supported West Ham for over 100 years...
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

I have to admit i left at half time ,i was so fed up with what i saw they were loads streaming out pissed off i suppose . i went in the club for a pint loads i knew had left also.we all said one thing and agreed that we hadn,t seen that since Avram era .please god no hopefully will right its self .