West Ham Utd 3-4 AFC Bournemouth (22/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by sjb958 »

Can we get the Dudley Dinosaur back please?
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

It is more about new signings than it is organisation.

They're not teaching organisation to youths. Sport is about mentality, confidence.

Sign a couple of hugely talented players and it gives everyone a lift, positivity and confidence, the performances collectively improve.

Song, a winger and a striker are musts.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

There was much wrong with saturday, but i think watching kouyate play rw tops the lot
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

fandabidicksy wrote:Better investment makes noble a better player. Every manager has picked him, consistently!
Couldn't agree more... Having Noble sitting deep with Obiang, Kouyate, Nolan and Payet all trying to come in and occupy the space that he looks to play in is an absolute waste of a player.

We saw it last year when Nolan was shoe horned into the side too. Our midfield has a terrible habit of crowding itself out, fairly inevitable when you play with 5 natural center mids though.

Noble looked every inch a top Premier League player when we played the diamond last season. He would benefit the most form having a fully fit Song and Valencia back (especially now we have Payet) as he needs movement and options in front of him to be effective.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

How's wanting to turn down £25m for Aaron Cresswell looking for ya?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2629 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by EvilC »

smuts wrote:What was the game where we 3 nil up and ended up losing 4-3? Was it a championship game against Brom?
It was, I think we did the same with Margas in the side against Wimbledon under Redknapp too.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

I don't think I have ever seen a game where our two full backs had such stinkers, and doubt that will happen again as both are pretty decent players.

2-0 down early on sure gave us a mountain to climb and we looked like doing it for a while. The lack of width was a big issue and I was surprised it wasn't addressed until half time as our full backs were exposed and couldn't get forward, and Bournemouth took advantage of that.

Jenkinson looked shot to me, bent over, hands on his knees half way through the first half - was he ill ? The amount of times he had the ball in the first half with no one ahead of him was poor from us.

Three games into the season and injuries and suspensions are really hurting us already, doesn't bode well that, but its way too early to panic.

Decent little side though Bournemouth and fully deserving of their victory
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Simply Moore wrote: Individual errors, tired, cumbersome, no shape, that is as bad as it can be, unforgivable. A complete contrast to how disciplined we were in our opening game. Sort it out Slav and fast!
The difference in the first game was that L'Arse played to our strengths by trying to go through the congested middle, if they had played with width we'd likely have been slaughtered. Leicester and Bournemouth hadn't read the script and instead attacked our isolated full backs.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Billy Hunt wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a game where our two full backs had such stinkers, and doubt that will happen again as both are pretty decent players.
Oh they'll have stinkers again unless Bilic sorts out the team, whether he does or not will determine if he is another good manager for us or another Grant.
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

fandabidicksy wrote:Whatever happened to going and supporting the team? People left after their 2nd went in. Modern fans are pants aswell as modern football
I've been going to football since the 1970's and Saturday was the worst I've seen for lack of support from fans. People loudly booing all around the ground after 20 minutes and deriding a water break in 30 degrees heat. I felt ashamed to be among these sort of people

The young bloke in front of me was apoplectic after Bournemouth's second goal went in and I said to him "How about we get behind the team now mate?" and he said "I'm not getting behind these c*nts" to which I retorted "that's what you're here for". He didn't cheer the team on at any point in the game so I made sure I celebrated with him when we equalised at 2-2.

An older shall we say portly chap next to me slagged off the water break and I said "have you tried running around constantly for 25 minutes in this level of heat mate ? " and he said "I'm a customer though so I can say what I want".

I'm with Romford on Saturday's game being more enjoyable than anything from the last half of last season (and we almost equalised at the death) but I despair at a lot of our so called supporters nowadays. I just don't get how some on here said they left at half time and I'd have loved it if we had managed to get that last minute goal. Whatever happened to the vocal, loyal West Ham fan ?
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:How's wanting to turn down £25m for Aaron Cresswell looking for ya?

Do you believe anyone has offered more than £12m ever??
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

bobcar wrote:
Oh they'll have stinkers again unless Bilic sorts out the team, whether he does or not will determine if he is another good manager for us or another Grant.
They'll have problems for sure if they remain so exposed, but no, i cannot see them making the kind of mistakes that led to the first two goals or the run up to the penalty even. Those passages of play had little or nothing to do with the shape of the team, just awful play from Cresswell & Jenkinson individually. Both are much better than that

Billy Hunt wrote:Jenkinson looked shot to me, bent over, hands on his knees half way through the first half - was he ill ? The amount of times he had the ball in the first half with no one ahead of him was poor from us.
He went from a testing season last year, playing all games, into a tough U21 tournement that finished 25th June to being in limbo pre-season for a few weeks at Arsenal and then only playing just 1 pre-season game at Norwich on 26th July.

He's f*cked.

Squad selections permitting, we would have been better served keeping Demel on a rolling/3 month contract, subject to another team taking him on, while Jenkinson rested.

In fact, we kept a clean sheet away at Arsenal, then changed the defence around.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

monkeyhanger wrote: I've been going to football since the 1970's and Saturday was the worst I've seen for lack of support from fans. People loudly booing all around the ground after 20 minutes and deriding a water break in 30 degrees heat. I felt ashamed to be among these sort of people

The young bloke in front of me was apoplectic after Bournemouth's second goal went in and I said to him "How about we get behind the team now mate?" and he said "I'm not getting behind these c*nts" to which I retorted "that's what you're here for". He didn't cheer the team on at any point in the game so I made sure I celebrated with him when we equalised at 2-2.

An older shall we say portly chap next to me slagged off the water break and I said "have you tried running around constantly for 25 minutes in this level of heat mate ? " and he said "I'm a customer though so I can say what I want".

I'm with Romford on Saturday's game being more enjoyable than anything from the last half of last season (and we almost equalised at the death) but I despair at a lot of our so called supporters nowadays. I just don't get how some on here said they left at half time and I'd have loved it if we had managed to get that last minute goal. Whatever happened to the vocal, loyal West Ham fan ?
Good post.

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:How's wanting to turn down £25m for Aaron Cresswell looking for ya?
Marky wrote:Do you believe anyone has offered more than £12m ever??
No, of course not. But that wasn't the point.

The point was that there were a few people on here that said they would not accept a £25m bid for Cresswell.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

I hear man City have pulled out of the bidding for the "tricky" left back
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
The point was that there were a few people on here that said they would not accept a £25m bid for Cresswell.
Even in the summer, I said we should bite their hand off if anyone offered £15million.

Too often he get's sucked in, the winger runs down the flank, turns inside and cuts in behind him while he is still heading for corner flag. Rinse and repeat.

Needs to be taught to at least make the odd tackle, etc with his right foot. Hopefully Dicks can teach him some positional sense at least.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Just watched highlights from sat. All 4 Bournemouth goals were basic errors.
Things happen and hopefully they all came in one game!
However I really think we should be playing with 2 up top in these type of fixtures, if it has to be Maiga then so be it.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6810 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

fandabidicksy

Your detailed post earlier was an accurate read. Agreed with most of it.

I too also considered 352 with Tomkins Reid Ogbonna in a back three for much of the same reasons as you have, which then allows us plenty of width with the full backs and flooding the midfield more. The reservation I have about it though, is it could be even more radical change too soon, which is why probably stick with the original back four setup for now to get back to basics and settle the defence back down again before trying it out later down the line.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

monkeyhanger wrote: I've been going to football since the 1970's and Saturday was the worst I've seen for lack of support from fans. People loudly booing all around the ground after 20 minutes and deriding a water break in 30 degrees heat. I felt ashamed to be among these sort of people

"The Secret Footballer" claims opposition managers tell their teams to frustrate the Upton Park crowd for the first third of the game knowing they'll turn against the home team.
Seems we've established a reputation for this.
No wonder the BBC reported we were booing the team after the FC Astra 1st leg.

:scarfer: