West Ham Utd 3-4 AFC Bournemouth (22/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by The Gibbins »

I really like Cresswell but he has the odd clanger in him, sometimes he is just a bit too casual on the ball. Its all well and good in the final third and quite often he beats his man but the mistakes he made on Saturday were far too basic. Jenkinson also had a torrid afternoon, i think the system is going to mean these two boys have to work harder as they will be exposed with our narrow system.

I do however think the midfield have been caught out as well and have not covered the back four at all well in our 2 home games so far. This was the complete opposite to the Arsenal game where our midfield were covering a lot of ground and shutting out the opposition.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Echo what Monkeyhanger posted about some of the crowd giving him up halfway through the first half and sporadically throughout the game. Yes, I was just as frustrated as any of those willing to boo/leave early but it just made me more determined to cheer them on and gee them up at every possible opportunity, even for the likes of the hapless Jenkinson/Cresswell whenever they made another basic error. Likewise it would have made celebrating an equaliser right at the death even sweeter, to know I like a few others stuck around at the final whistle.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

RARS, A 'few' on here think Maiga will come good.........

Cresswell is not that good (defensively) but good enough if he has defensive protection
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Marky wrote:RARS, A 'few' on here think Maiga will come good.........

Cresswell is not that good (defensively) but good enough if he has defensive protection

Totally agree with you on Maiga and Cresswell, who gets that more with Reid covering him. There's just no understanding between Cresswell and Ogbonna yet and why Cresswell looks so hesitant to play alongside him in the last two games. That changed once Reid came back across, Cresswell looked much more comfortable.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Romford wrote:It's the sort of people that BRING women to football :wink:
Oi, what you saying ??
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Colours never run wrote:. Likewise it would have made celebrating an equaliser right at the death even sweeter, to know I like a few others stuck around at the final whistle.
We stayed to the bitter end too, and when Payet lined up that late free kick, my mate turned to me and said we're gonna score a goal here. Well, the free kick led to a corner which then led to a goal line clearance followed by the final whistle. He was nearly right, but it would have been very cruel on Bournemouth to have denied them the 3 points they clearly deserved - but that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest!! How many times have we had injury time muggings, twould have been nice for the boot to have been on the other foot for a change.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

As much as I didn't agree with the vitriol in the stands, season upon season of unadulterated crap will break any man at some stage.

Factor in the hyperbole thrown out by the owners and you have a recipe for tension when you're being vastly outplayed by a newly promoted side who were in the bottom tier not too long ago.

Let's be frank, as enjoyable (in parts) and comical Saturday was, it's definitely another low point for us being tonked by Bournemouth - I know it was 4-3 but it shouldn't have been.
Colours never run

I hear you, Dave.

I would have liked to have seen that final corner being taken before the Ref timely blew up for full time.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

sjb958 wrote:Can we get the Dudley Dinosaur back please?
Why do you support this club ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

rottiel wrote:
Oi, what you saying ??
Your Doris is more of a Geezer than you are !!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Billydinho wrote:As much as I didn't agree with the vitriol in the stands, season upon season of unadulterated crap will break any man at some stage.

Factor in the hyperbole thrown out by the owners and you have a recipe for tension when you're being vastly outplayed by a newly promoted side who were in the bottom tier not too long ago.

Let's be frank, as enjoyable (in parts) and comical Saturday was, it's definitely another low point for us being tonked by Bournemouth - I know it was 4-3 but it shouldn't have been.
This is it exactly. It's why it is not an over-reaction.

This is my 16th season of this as a STH and I'm getting tired of kidding myself that I am enjoying myself on a Saturday afternoon at the BG.

I'm paying a fortune to watch a mediocre mid table team held back by two-bob owners who are quite content with that scenario..

The 'breath of fresh air' didn't last 30 odd minutes into the first home game. And so many people have called the first half the worst 45 minutes of football ever seen at home. We can't all be wrong.

I can't remember the last time I didn't come out of the East Stand with the raging hump after a game.
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

Colours never run wrote:Yes, I was just as frustrated as any of those willing to boo/leave early but it just made me more determined to cheer them on and gee them up at every possible opportunity, even for the likes of the hapless Jenkinson/Cresswell whenever they made another basic error.
:thup: In a nutshell mate. The definition of being a supporter right there. Certainly the team second half was giving it a go and we were behind them. I didn't hear much booing at the final whistle because most of the boo boys had probably gone by then and we'd seen a team trying its best to salvage the game.
mullinsovermasch

Post by mullinsovermasch »

The fact that Bilic refused to change the system after 15-20 minutes should be a real worry. Instead he kept the diamond and Bournemouth enjoyed all sorts of freedom and were able to create 2v1 situations vs our 'low on confidence' full backs. Not that I liked the way we played most of the time, but our ex-manager changed his system pretty quickly when the opposition had an obvious advantage.

And let's not forget that Bilic was outcoached the last two games despite Leicester and the Cherries used a pretty similar and not very adventurous 442 kind of system.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Marky wrote:RARS, A 'few' on here think Maiga will come good.........

Cresswell is a very decent player when on the front foot but can make stupid errors when under pressure.
As soon as I heard Sams comment on MOTD that Cresswell never made those mistakes under his management I thought back to Stokes 2nd goal last season where he got caught and tied in knots by the striker rather than just put the ball out of play.
Colours never run

To be fair to Cresswell that's one high profile mistake that led to a goal. There's not too many of them last season and it's reared its ugly head again recently. But over the context of his (and Jenkinsons for that matter) time at the Club those types of mistakes have been very few and far between.

We just tend to remember the big f*** ups more as they linger long on the memory than a constant stream of minor errors that personally bother me more, a pattern of events that keep happening time and time again. Same kind of thing happens to Keepers, one or two big howlers let in and all of a sudden they're nowhere near as good as we first thought.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Saw the Arsenal defending in the first half against Liverpool which made Jenks and Creswell's performance look stupendous. The difference was that Bournemouth took their opportunites while Pool didn't. The worst Arsenal performance I've seen for quite a long time which has cheered me up a bit.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Humbug wrote:Saw the Arsenal defending in the first half against Liverpool which made Jenks and Creswell's performance look stupendous. The difference was that Bournemouth took their opportunites while Pool didn't. The worst Arsenal performance I've seen for quite a long time which has cheered me up a bit.
That Gooner back line was pretty chronic. The lad who wears 21, Chambers had an awful game and gave the ball away frequently. How Liverpool failed to win, I don't know (well maybe I do - he wears 33 and wears a stupid head thing).
And people had them to win the league this season? Laughable.
That said, I doubt very much that Cresswell and Jenkinson will play that bad ever again for us. I have no idea what Bilic and Dicks will say or do to get them psyched for Anfield, what with our record - but we need to perform and make a statement in what this team is capable of.
Right now the knee-jerking we had between our win at the Emirates and our lost to Bournemouth states we'll be top six..... Or bottom of the table come May. :clap: