West Ham Utd 2-0 Newcastle Utd (14/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: Match Thread

Post by ChzMff »

Sloop John B wrote:I don't think Moses offers too much different to Jarvis in terms of ability but his attitude and confidence will make the world of difference... a very good debut.
I couldn't ever imagine Jarvis doing what Moses did for the second goal last night. I think he probably would have been muscled to the side from the initial ball forward (with the obligatory thumbs up to follow).
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Romford wrote:Sakho deserves an awful lot of credit too....
A whole Sack-o credit
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Don't know if it had been mentioned already but how useless were the toon army? Didn't hear them at all. I remember them making a right racket in the past.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Not much for them to cheer on really.

Tbh, thought the fact there was even that many on a Monday given the travel involved was decent.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

ChzMff wrote:I couldn't ever imagine Jarvis doing what Moses did for the second goal last night. I think he probably would have been muscled to the side from the initial ball forward (with the obligatory thumbs up to follow).
Oh I dunno... beating a bunch of players with pace and then missing a virtually open goal by hitting the bar... sounds like something Jarvis would have done.
Jiminy_Cricket

Post by Jiminy_Cricket »

A good performance last night. Payet is just magic, it has been a long time since we have had a player that exciting who can give you that something special.

I thought almost the whole team played well, although Jenkinson looked a little iffy to me. I am just so excited for the future when you think that potentially we would have Adrian, Song, Enner Valencia, Zarate and a FULLY fit Carroll to add to last nights squad.

:crest:
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Romford_Iron wrote:
I think Nobes is loving being captain. He's gave the ball away a couple of times, but I thought he was brilliant last night. That volley in the first half to Moses...ok it didn't quite make it but it just shows he can see what's going on ahead of him and isn't afraid to try them kind of passes, if there's movement ahead of him.
Talking about sublime passes to Moses, what about that cross-field one from Tomkins that did make it...?

Didn't know he had that in him!
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Sloop John B wrote: Oh I dunno... beating a bunch of players with pace and then missing a virtually open goal by hitting the bar... sounds like something Jarvis would have done.
Jarvis would have run to the corner flag before floating in a cross to no one. Moses brings you flair and little fancy flicks that beat people, he's unpredictable, he wants to make his way into the box, fake a shot, keep the opponent guessing. In terms of ability they couldn't be further apart!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Moses and Payet rightfully grabbing all of the headlines but I also think Randolph, Tomkins and Reid were very very good yesterday. We look so much better defensively (centrally) when Tomkins and Reid play together, it is just a shame that by doing that we have to play Jenkinson at RB who once again looked a different player last night.

Agree with Sakho's work ethic but he has his work cut out with Carroll waiting in the wings now, will need to start scoring regularly.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Romford wrote:Sakho deserves an awful lot of credit too....
What I like about him as that isn't an obvious lone striker, but puts himself about so much that he is never really out of the game. I hope he gets decent support in games because on occasions he appears isolated position wise but always comes back into the game out wide or in the centre.

I think his work rate means he is entitled to be greedy at times.
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

What a joy to watch. Perhaps too fluid and look like we may concede at any given moment, but I saw enough 'team' tracking back to believe that we'll fortify the defensive element of our game in the coming weeks (we'll have to against City!)

Player comments:

Payet: just wow. Can't remember being this excited about a west ham player in a while
Sakho: his hold up play, stamina and graft is exemplary. Rushed his shots, but he can be forgiven
Nobes: a vintage performance. Importantly he didn't let the odd bad pass ruin his confidence
Randolph: made the vital saves when he had too. Unfair to drop him?
Moses: very encouraging. Rapid, hungry, he'll be terrifying once his match fitness improves

Happy times.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I thought G.Nev's post match was very fair, he spoke about how little we expect for a big fee now which is a point that needed highlighting. As he said as well, City won't fear us but it'll be a tough game for them, we got that counter attack sussed out!

Under the lights, what an atmosphere, that will be the saddest thing about leaving the Boleyn for me. I love the night games! The atmosphere when the big man came on was cracking too. Good to see him back. And following Slav's comments it'll be interesting to see how his fitness progresses.

Noble's first performance as official club captain was a solid 8 out of 10. He grafted, put the spirit and aggression throughout our team, but as others have said he must eradicate those silly unforced errors in dangerous areas.
Ogbonna was terrific before he came on so I feel for him, but such is the squad depth that he may struggle to regain his position now! Tomkins was a brick wall when he came on, after putting in an impressive shift at RB again. Very impressed with Tonks' progression and he comes a close second for MOTM for me. He must be our most improved player over the last year or so. I would love to see that cracking cross-field pass again!

The full-backs still worry me when we're not playing counter attacking football. Better wingers would have exposed our flanks big time yesterday and I love Cresswell but he has a lot to work on defensively.
Full credit to Randy for proving me wrong. Very good performance last night, but unfortunately for him Adrian has earned that spot and it's gonna be hard to wrestle it off him.

Lanzini is a brilliant passer of the ball and good in possession but he struggled last night.
I thought Newcastle were really poor, and it could be another manager bites the dust for them before Christmas. Everybody was jizzing over Mitrovic and Wijnauldum this summer, but I thought they bought very poorly.

I wanted Moses from day 1 of the window, and I've got to say he was a missing ingredient for us based on last night's performance. What a terrific effort for somebody lacking match fitness. I was just gutted for him when he hit the bar, he deserved that goal!
I feel a bit gutted for Antonio not getting his chance, but again, such is our squad depth now and I'm so happy about that. He will be chomping at the bit next week! It'll be interesting to see where the youngsters go on loan now if they're not going to make the bench. Having said that, nobody (bar Payet) is guaranteed a place now!

He didn't grab a goal, or look like getting one, but Sakho put a brilliant and thankless shift in. Again, Carroll would have to wrestle that spot from him now. The geezer was all over the place, causing them problems, getting stuck in and played a huge and impressive part in the first goal.

Kouyate's engine is invaluable when we're seeing out games. It's so impressive that we now have all the ingredients for a complete team, from the industrious ball carrier to the silky play-maker.

Speaking of which, how much of a gem have we found in Payet? The geezer is absolutely class. I could watch his footwork all day. He gets stuck in, improves the players around him, opens the game up and could have had a hat-trick from midfield yesterday, when's the last time we could say that?

I've got to say, as a person and his relationship with the fans and other teams and their manages, I cannot fault Bilic. It's a joy to watch him on the touchline and listen to his honest and insightful pressers. Looks like he knows a thing or two about management too so far, time will tell there.

Overall the performance looked more impressive due to the calibre of opposition on the night, we can't play counter attack at home all season but it was the clever thing to do last night. It will take time to gel and I think we'll see some excellent football post-christmas.
Also, NO RED CARD! That's a bonus.

I can't wait to see the oppo view on this one!
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Really good win. Standouts for me were Tomkins and Payet. Sakho also worked his socks off.

So refreshing to see us play with flair and pace. Something we haven't had in a long time
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Newcastle United
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129023
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Newcastle United
Cheers always one of my fav features reading what other fans think of us
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Newcastle United
A lot of what they said looks rather similar to our own match threads during the second half of last season.
coyi1973
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by coyi1973 »

Normally we'd have one stand out performance, some decent performances, some average performances and some poor performances after a win.

Last night, I don't think we played fantastic but we were a level up from how we would have performed previously. All players were decent and no one was average. They all played a part and we looked controlled and never in trouble for the whole game. We also looked like we had goals in us and with the bench the ability to change something be it defensive or attacking which is not a luxury we've always had.

So all in all, a very professional performance, I think there is a lot more to come and we'll also face a lot tougher opposition in the future.

So lets not get carried away but at the same time, I think we are building up to something good.

I also believe that with more games, we'll improve our possession and not rely on counter-attacking all the time. Last night we played counter-attacking because we got the early goal so we could afford to do that. Will be interesting to see how we play when we don't get the early goal at home.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Watching the game on t'internet as I was (burn the heretic!), I noticed something rather pleasing.

Cast your mind back to when Ravel Morrison was playing, after he scored his goal against Tottenham. Every time he got the ball there was a buzz from all sides of the ground in anticipation of seeing something special.

Last night I heard that same buzz pretty much every time we cleared the ball out of defence and charged forward. It was wonderful to hear it again.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Lanzini is Ravel Morrison without any attitude issues.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by woodywoody »

After 5 games including last night and the end of the transfer market all I can say is confidence has been restored..........Happy days