West Ham Utd 2-0 Newcastle Utd (14/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: Match Thread

Post by sutts07 »

Kludgehammer wrote:If that was the plan, it should have been changed after the first time Janmaat turned inside and ran past Cresswell straight into the corner of our box with the ball. He did it 3 or 4 times, and each time caused problems for the defence
Each time he did, he ran straight into an Ogbonna and Reid shaped wall. Much better than letting him get to the byline and put a cross in.

Carroll songs, for whoever was asking were...
He left cos you're s**t
and...
Your old club is s**t
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

If there's one position where we can take a couple of injuries now it has to be centre back. How times change gawd I can remember JOB and Georgie Mac playing there! And John Cushley!!! :lol:
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Colours never run wrote:Lanzini is Ravel Morrison without any attitude issues.
Haha!

:thup:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

For anyone who hasn't read it....Gnome's Match report is one of his best :

http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=101505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Puff Daddy wrote:Gotta give a huge hats off to their long suffering support last night. Considering where in the UK Newcastle is situated, filling out their end on a Monday evening was a huge credit to them and their club. It is no fun supporting a team like that as we all know; they are extremely passionate about their team and I have no problem with their supporters, but If I supported them, I would be more than a bit concerned about their prospects for the season
What people always forget though is that over half of them live down here...as with all Northern clubs.

I do agree with your sentiments though...it is no fun going to away games twice a month knowing that the chances of a win are about 2 a season.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

I watched the game again last night (saddo I know ) and without the obvious stuff, there was a couple of things I picked up which haven't really been talked about.

Firstly James Tomkins was absolutely superb both before the AOgbonna sub and afterwards, he virtually never put a foot wrong all night and made some brilliant tackles and blocks.

Secondly Noble was very out of sorts where his passing was concerned, very basic stuff was going wrong for him on Monday. Just a one off I'm sure but against better sides we could have been punished severely.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Was at an awards ceremony in York on monday night so couldn't make the trip down for the game....but watched on my phone during the ceremony. Ended up celebrating late into the night and on the train back to Newcastle getting back at 3am yesterday....so I've not had a chance to comment on the match.

All I'm going to say about it is F*CKING YES!!!!!!! Wonderful result! Happy like a pig in sh*t!!!!

COYI
:crest:
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Agree with the Noble thing, tried to be too clever at times hope the captain thing don't make him immune from substitution
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

WHUJohn wrote:I watched the game again last night (saddo I know ) and without the obvious stuff, there was a couple of things I picked up which haven't really been talked about.

Firstly James Tomkins was absolutely superb both before the AOgbonna sub and afterwards, he virtually never put a foot wrong all night and made some brilliant tackles and blocks.

Secondly Noble was very out of sorts where his passing was concerned, very basic stuff was going wrong for him on Monday. Just a one off I'm sure but against better sides we could have been punished severely.

I agree with that, including one short, inaccurate and under hit misplaced pass to Payet in the second half, which put his team mate in trouble and he picked up a knock which took his breath away for a moment. Thankfully, it didn't amount to anything, but it could have done
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I mentioned earlier int he thread that I think the thing with Noble was that he was actually trying more than usual which is why a few things looked like they didn't come off. Personally, I think Noble is far better when he's trying to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and change things rather than just being a water carrier.

You're right, he was a little sloppy, but funnily enough I think it bodes well for the season. I also think he must be loving having Payet, Lanzini and Moses all ahead of him buzzing around and looking for the ball.

I also agree about Tomkins, looked a better right-back than Jenks and a better centre-half than Ogbonna on Monday. Great to see and hopefully what competition for places will do for players. Not as simple as just turning up and getting picked anymore, if you get the chance you have to take it (something that seemed clear with Moses, Sakho and (particularly) Carroll on Monday. They know there's a lot of good attacking players at the club and they've got to perform to get in. Great stuff.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

WHUJohn wrote:I watched the game again last night (saddo I know ) and without the obvious stuff, there was a couple of things I picked up which haven't really been talked about.

Couldn't agree more regarding Tomkins performance like you say. Think I mentioned as much after the game. That moment where he picked out Moses with a driven inch perfect cross-field pass switching play from right to left was sublime, just for one example. I could go on about his performance all day as he barely put a foot wrong, even changing position midway through and we were even more solid 2nd half with him restored in his natural position, which also raised Reids game. I would have scored Tomkins a 9.

I also noticed Some of Nobles wayward passes after we went 1-0 up, but bar one incident where he did put us in trouble, the other occasions weren't in threatening positions. 2nd half he was back to being faultless and lead by example. It was nowhere near one of his best games but he still had a decent game overall I think. I'm also really enjoying his freer role, given licence to get forward now where I think he's in his element and can damage teams more in the final 3rd, like for the goal, up at Liverpool. I'd have give him a very solid rating of 7.5.

For me Ogbonna was the weakest link in defence with some very clumsy passing that kept putting us in danger. I think his injury is a blessing in disguise (not that I wish injury on anyone), which means we revert to a more solid back line. It takes the decision away about whether he should start or not at CB right now as its forced Bilics hand to play our best CB combination of Reid and Tomkins together again. It was telling that the likes of Cresswell were cutting out costly individual mistakes once he went off, which crept back in during the 1st half playing alongside Ogbonna. Jenkinson also looked more like his old self with Tomkins behind him. Hopefully Ogbonnas back for the Cup match.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Yeah I don't think Ogbonna started well at all, irrespective of the injury unless he was carrying it for while which could explain how he played.